Another Seat Concepts thread. First impressions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Seat Concepts thread. First impressions

I don't know if I can contribute anything beyond what others have written, but thanks to member 'hop', I received my essentially new Seat Concepts seat today. It is with the dual-texture vinyl and I assume the firm foam (it feels very firm compared to the stocker). The dual texture is a nice complement to the textured side panels below the tank. I could really do without the too-large "SeatConcepts.com" tag stitched in. Quality seems excellent, but there is a seam between the rider and passenger which is lacking in the stocker. No telling whether this will affect future durability.

The seat definitely allows me to sit further back, eliminating the ball bust on the tank, and increases the reach to the bars and the ground. In my case, this is welcome. The added leg room to the pegs is particularly so. I am on tippy toes while sitting back in the "well", but kind of naturally slide forward a bit when stopped and can flat foot it from there. I think it's more the width of the seat than the height that affects the ability to flat foot it.

I am 6'3", 185 lb, with 34" inseam and 35" sleeves. I think that anyone shorter than this might very well find the reach either to the ground or the bars to be uncomfortable. One of the reasons I bought this bike is that I have a chronic pinched nerve in my neck and the upright position is extremely comfortable compared to most other bikes. I will probably rotate the bars back a bit to decrease the reach.

I will post back in a few days with further impressions, including the pillion's opinion Happy riding everyone!

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!

Last edited by PDSF; 07-18-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM

I like mine. I got the standard foam but if I had to do it over I would have went with the harder foam. It is far better than the stocker and much better than the Spencer mod hands down.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I like mine a lot too with the All Carbon cover. Standard foam is a bit hard (I'm 215 lbs). I wouldn't mind the softer option, although it seams to be breaking in well. At 6'1", 34" inseam, 35" sleeve, seating position is great with Motowerk footpeg lowering blocks. I already had tapered aluminum handlebars that are a bit higher.

Last edited by invader; 07-18-2012 at 01:42 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
At 6'1, 34" inseam, 35" sleeve, seating position is great with Motowerk footpeg lowering blocks.
Hey invader, do you lose ground clearance with the peg lowering kit? I haven't scraped any pegs yet but expect to, and don't want to do so at lessened turn angles.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSF View Post
Hey invader, do you lose ground clearance with the peg lowering kit? I haven't scraped any pegs yet but expect to, and don't want to do so at lessened turn angles.
No such concern, even with my larger offroad type footpegs. They would be easier to scrape at steep leaning angles, although I've never had the opportunity to lean it down that much.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM

I got my Seat Concepts Seat with .5 firmer foam, and all carbon cover, last week. Had it installed by an upholstery guy Friday. I'm 6'02", 34 inseam, and 215lbs.

I too didn't like the big SC Tag so I cut it off with a razor blade... VERY CAREFULLY. I put a piece of hard plastic under it so I wouldn't cut into the seat.

I find the .5 foam very firm. I thought it might be too hard because the first time I rode my thighs were hurting. Since the first ride though I have had no discomfort and the seat seems to be settling in nicely. I chock the discomfort up to my thighs/buns being used to the stock seat.

My discomfort from the seat came from the 1 inch rise in height and my reach to the handle bars. To attempt to fix this I ordered the Motowerk bar riser and installed it. This has helped, but I may need another inch of reach added via a switch out to the ROX risers.

I already have the Motowerk footpeg lowering kit installed.

In conclusion, I feel the SC seat is an improvement over the stock one, for me. I hated the constant sliding forward and feeling that my buns were being smooshed. If I had one improvement suggestion it would be to make the seat a bit more narrow at it's midpoint between its front and main seating area (where my buns sit against the backrest).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I find the .5 foam very firm. I thought it might be too hard because the first time I rode my thighs were hurting. Since the first ride though I have had no discomfort and the seat seems to be settling in nicely. I chock the discomfort up to my thighs/buns being used to the stock seat.
I agree, the foam is quite hard. But I also remember the stock seat seemed much firmer when I bought the bike two months ago. I'm guessing this foam will break in too, but more slowly. I wouldn't mind a bit less of a "ridge" around the seating area. Hopefully that will soften up too.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM

Love mine. 5'10" 200 lbs and I went with the standard foam. I haven't done any long trips yet but it's much more comfortable than the stock during my commutes to/from work.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Geek View Post
Love mine. 5'10" 200 lbs and I went with the standard foam. I haven't done any long trips yet but it's much more comfortable than the stock during my commutes to/from work.
Maybe I should have gone with a softer foam. I'm the same height as you with a 30" inseam but I'm 327 pounds. I have the lowered pegs and with the +1 foam the bucket dip is killing my back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
hop

PDSF it is the carbon sides and plane top also it is the standard foam not the harder foam. try the 1" risers with a slight roll back of the bars . i did the risers with the stock seat and it seems to work well . I am glad you like the seat ,i think the risers will help your neck also.now you know with my short legs why it didn't work for me. ride safe stay well. Tom
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks hop aka Tom. Yeah, I'm gonna give it a few weeks and see how my neck feels, but I will probably get the risers eventually. I did about two hours on it today, including a few twisties, and one thing I noticed is that it really does shift the center of gravity back. The front end was noticeably lighter when I got on it in 2nd gear out of turns and I started shifting forward in the seat. The smooth vinyl makes this easy. The extra room is really nice on the highway, but my head is now above the smooth flow of the shield. I might consider a larger one to swap on for highway rides. Anyway, a great addition...thanks again Tom!

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Can someone post a picture please...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Can someone post a picture please...

Here is my new SC Seat (you can still see the remnants of the SC logo/tag):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM
hop

paul I bought a new powerbronze flip windscreen ,light tint and didnt mount it yet, still in package. I ordered it when I ordered the seat knowing I would need a higher one. I was going to put it for sale here if you are interested I paid 92.00 shipped . I will sell for 75.00 shipped if interested it is 3" taller very light tint and never mounted. Tom . OR BEST OFFER !!!!!

Last edited by hop; 07-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
VOz

SC Seat, great seat quality.

Way, way too high for me with 6 ft 1" 265 lb & 32" inseam.

My arms, back and neck killed me even on short runs and I dropped it twice at standstill in the 3 weeks I had the SC seat on as I lost my footing.

Reverted to OEM and am in love again, will never change it again. Actually the aspect I thought I did not like, the forward slide, is the aspect of the OEM seat I missed and now love the most.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode