Bird Strike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bird Strike

Of all the highways in all the world.....

Riding on the highway enjoying my ride home and Bam!

What appeared to be a crow committed death by motorcycle. It shook me up a bit to be honest. We collided at approximately 50 mph.

Scratched my left fairing and left some bird gut on my boots.

Crazy day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Of all the highways in all the world.....

Riding on the highway enjoying my ride home and Bam!

What appeared to be a crow committed death by motorcycle. It shook me up a bit to be honest. We collided at approximately 50 mph.

Scratched my left fairing and left some bird gut on my boots.

Crazy day.
Haha!! Glad it was his guts and not your guts!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM

I've had a bird glance off my boot once. I hit a crow square on with my work van, knocked the Chevy emblem off the grill. The next day some of his buddies where feasting on what was left . What are friends for?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM

A few years back I took a grouse to the clutch hand in sixth gear on my kx125. The little bugger broke three of my fingers when I clutched and locked up the brakes. They don't have to be very big to do some damage at speed, good to hear you're ok!

'89 yz 80
'96 cr 80
'99 kx 125
'09 Versys
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM

I had a small bird hit the bike once, it try to get through behind the front wheel but didn't make it, it wound up wedged in my exhaust and got cooked.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Could have been worse...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Glad you are Ok....

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Glad you are Ok! I had to dodge a Bassett Hound this morning!!
I want to start recording all my rides. Have to find an easy / convenient way to do that.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 PM

I had a speed/depth perception impaired cat do somewhat of the same thing. It was waiting by the edge of a busy road and as the bike passed @ ~50kph it decided to dart across the road crossing directly into the path of the bike. With no time to react both tires ran over it. The sad thing is it was someone's pet.

I could see the cat waiting at the side of the road from a distance back, it was not moving, figured it would just stay put. If I was ever to see an animal again at the side of the road I think I would hit the brakes hard since proximity and fear is probably what makes them want to run out in front of you.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPMB View Post
Glad you are Ok! I had to dodge a Bassett Hound this morning!!
I want to start recording all my rides. Have to find an easy / convenient way to do that.

Video,Photos or Both.

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1322 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1431 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 PM

Took out a robin last week; took this stupid kamikaze on vacation last year. You would think animals would eventually evolve to know that roads are dangerous.

IBA # 49372
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Caught a grown chicken to the right knee at 70 back in the early 80's, hurt & almost took me off the bike. Animals of various kinds are a for real hazard here in rural TN.

Why did the chicken cross the road..............................to prove to a possum that it could actually be done!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Video,Photos or Both.

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1322 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1431 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Now all you need is a rear camera and your set
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
Now all you need is a rear camera and your set

Yea i check out a bunch of them the last 2 years..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 AM

I used to drive a company car all over the midwest. Long boring drives in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan. I'd drive about 10,000 miles a month.

Over that time frame I did some experimenting with bird strikes.

I found that from 0 - 92mph almost all species of birds can get out of your way. I still had one or two strikes a month at those speeds, but what was shocking is that any speed over 92mph and darn near nothing could get out of your way. If I set my cruise at 93, 94, or above, I would be covered in dead birds when I got to where I was going. It was like a scene from an Alfred Hitchcock movie!

I don't care to repeat those experiments now that I ride a V.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Leaving my gf's about 5 in the morning I apparently spooked a bird in the median and it flew right into my windscreen and blew-up in a puff of feathers just like the one hit by a baseball several years ago.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Well if we are gonna bring up sport bird strikes....

My daughter played high school golf. At her very first competitive match she t'ed up and smacked the ball... and hit a bird right out of the air, killing it.

It was her only... birdie... of the day.

/groan

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Well if we are gonna bring up sport bird strikes....

My daughter played high school golf. At her very first competitive match she t'ed up and smacked the ball... and hit a bird right out of the air, killing it.

It was her only... birdie... of the day.

/groan

Had a similar thing happen waaay back in undergraduate school. Teed off on the first hole, sliced badly and when I went to recover the ball (in a turkey farm along side the fairway) discovered I had killed a turkey. Not a bad shot after all.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 PM

I've killed so many birds with the semi over the years, I'm #1 most wanted by: PETA, the Audubon Society and Colorado Division of Wildlife. Starlings, Crows, Pigeons, Hawks, Owl's, Pheasent, Robins, few years back almost got a Bald Eagle but we missed by inches.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM

I was up in the White Mountains of Arizona last fall in the middle of the rut for big horn sheep and came across this sign.

It is no what you think. Rather than suggesting caution, it is actually recommending that motorcycles speed up and get the heck out of there.

If a jealous old ram thinks you're some weird intruder slowing down to make time with his flock, he may attempt a full on head butt.

I don't guess the V was engineered to withstand that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01147.jpg (123.8 KB, 71 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode