Laid the V down.....airing up. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laid the V down.....airing up.

I felt like such an asshole. Im on the opposite side of the bike and it's leaning away from me on the kick stand. I needed to roll it a bit to make the valve stems reachable and as I did I didn't notice the kick stand come up. O couldn't hold the bike up from the opposite side like that and let it down. It rested entirely on my Givi v35 bag. The bag has some scratches but that's it. It was easy to pick the bike back up and it had no damages.

Has anyone else done something this dumb? Or am I alone in shame!?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM

I almost did once...Lesson learn..Glad it wasn't any worse for yah..

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Dumb

One time on one of my other bikes, daydreaming I guess, pulled up and stopped at a red light and forgot to put my feet down. Thought to myself I think I missed something on the way to the ground.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Moved the VFR in from the driveway to the garage wearing sandals and with a couple beer in my system.... Slowest drop ever!! I fought that bastard all the way down, but in the end it pulled me clean out of my sandals
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM

My first bike didnt have a sensor for the sidestand or neutral. Or niether of them worked, I honestly dont know.

Parked on a hill, left it in gear. It was sub-30 degrees so I reached up and hit the start button as soon as I got back to start warming her up. She lunged forward and I caught it, kinda. Still hit the ground

**** happens
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiotix View Post
Moved the VFR in from the driveway to the garage wearing sandals and with a couple beer in my system.... Slowest drop ever!! I fought that bastard all the way down, but in the end it pulled me clean out of my sandals
Too funny!

I lost mine and was on the wrong side. I jumped to the other side and caught it about a foot from the ground. I'm a large guy not fat but very fast. Ha! Ha!

Some of the kick stand stories just make me sick! Glad it wasn't too bad!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Got that T-Shirt

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 PM

I've dropped mine on its side probably a half dozen times, usually from leaning too far while supporting the bike on one leg. Meh, that's what guards are for.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM

I ended up dropping my last bike ('87 EX500) while I had the front tire off.... I didnt have a front stand, so I put the center stand down and put weight on the rear to balance it. I bumped into the bike and it got pushed off the centerstand. It took me 20 minutes by myself to push the bike back upright and pull it onto the centerstand... I felt like an idiot that day for sure.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemisis714 View Post
I ended up dropping my last bike ('87 EX500) while I had the front tire off.... I didnt have a front stand, so I put the center stand down and put weight on the rear to balance it. I bumped into the bike and it got pushed off the centerstand. It took me 20 minutes by myself to push the bike back upright and pull it onto the centerstand... I felt like an idiot that day for sure.
If you're using the center stand to change tires, hook a tie down to it and tie it forward so the bike won't roll and collapse it.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Some near misses but not laid down during servicing. Did laid down on a ride and the side bag saved the day.

One of those days and dont feel bad about it. Life is a learning curve and its fun.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Garage
My Versys was down three times in the first 18-months of owning it - all at zero speed. I can blame all of them on various causes (e.g. poor drivers, exhaustion, etc), but they came down to the fact that I was not used to balancing the bike at the time. I would not have said this at the time, but since then I have overcome similar situations without dropping it.

My Versys has not been down since (and hopefully it will never be).
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Forgetting to put your feet down, now that's a good one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
If you're using the center stand to change tires, hook a tie down to it and tie it forward so the bike won't roll and collapse it.
I figured that out afterwards when I was reading some tips on the subject... Oh well, it is all a learning experience.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 AM

I partially laid down the bike, was saved by a moped parked next to mine. Kick stand wasn't fully in n the forward slant of the road causes the bike to move forward. I wasn't as fast as MTS and even if I was fast, I don't have the strength to save it. Just a little nick on the radiator shroud.

Lesson learnt, make sure the kick stand is properly all the way in.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Back when I bought my Buell I made a error in starting it to warm up not paying 100% attention to it. 2 days home and I start it and turn around to get my gear on only to hear CRASH. If you've never seen an XB idling it shakes like a crackhead in BAD need of a fix. My Buell walked right off the kick stand and crashed to the ground as I didn't get it fully down, no kickstand switch on a Buell from the factory. Broke the foot peg, shifter, clutch leaver and mirror. I learned NEVER to turn my back on a running motorcycle because just like little kids THEY will make trouble every time! NOT a cheap way to learn but I always check the stand by pulling the bike backwards to be sure the stand is FULLY down before I start it.

BTW I took the kick stand switch off my KLR after it failed in the middle of east nowhere. I plan to leave the "V" alone unless it fails, if it does then I'll by-pass the stand switch on it as well. I never had a bike with a kick stand switch before I bought the KLR. Never had a problem until the Buell and haven't again.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 07-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 AM

Attempted to ride off with a front disc lock on...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...BTW I took the kick stand switch off my KLR after it failed in the middle of east nowhere. I plan to leave the "V" alone unless it fails, if it does then I'll by-pass the stand switch on it as well. I never had a bike with a kick stand switch before I bought the KLR. Never had a problem until the Buell and haven't again.
I removed my KLR's stand switch almost FIRST thing I did so I didn't get stranded, and recommended that mod to every KLR owner I met.

However, I've NEVER heard of an issue with the Versys' switch.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbiie View Post
I did THAT TOO, on my Bandit!

I have NEVER hit the ground as quickly as I did that time!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbiie View Post
Sounds PAINFUL

I saw a photo of a Buell that someone had tried to ride with a disc lock on the rear...broke the swingarm. He said he rolled maybe 2 foot and CRUNCH!!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode