Population here on the forum - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Population here on the forum

Some of the recent threads on the forum got me thinking about the typical Versys rider and what kind of experience and preferences most of us have.
There are too many options to do a real poll so just tell us how many years you've been riding and how many different bikes and of what type you've owned.

Me, I've had 17 different bikes, motocross to dual purpose to standard to sport to bagger to cruiser. I guess I've tried just about every type of bike there is although there are so many niche bikes I'm sure I'll never stop finding something new. I have put 100s of thousands of miles on two wheels. I'm 56 and I've been riding for more than half my life.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 PM

I don't know about the population here but I found it interesting that recently I've read the following from an article in 2010.

To wit, Kawasaki says 64% of U.S. Versys purchasers are age 45 and older, and 62% have more than five years riding experience.

In contrast, riders under age 25 comprise just 2% of U.S. Versys buyers, and those age 25 to 34 represent a mere 8%.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-89580.html
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaytagRepairman View Post
I don't know about the population here but I found it interesting that recently I've read the following from an article in 2010.

To wit, Kawasaki says 64% of U.S. Versys purchasers are age 45 and older, and 62% have more than five years riding experience.

In contrast, riders under age 25 comprise just 2% of U.S. Versys buyers, and those age 25 to 34 represent a mere 8%.

Old Guys Rule...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Well, I'm 44, this is my first bike since I was 13 and my first street bike. My last bike was a YZ80, that I bought from a kid who raced it and was stepping up to a 125. So the bike had a few tweaks to it.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:

I really wish it could have been 1% for the 25 and under. Then up untill last week I could have said I was a 1%er....Now I am a 8%er, just doesnt have the same ring.

I am 26, been riding since I was around 7 or 8 on my dads bikes, and got my license at 18. I have owned 2 ninja 600's and the Verseys.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oh man, that's asking a lot from my feeble memory! Let's see - I'm 67, if my finger count is correct. No wait - I'm really 42 stuck in a 67 year old body. I've been riding since 1963. Bloody hell, that's coming up on 50 years! How can that be?

Bikes? In order of ownership from long ago to now - Cushman Super Eagle, Harley 750 flathead, Norton 750 Commando Production Racer, Yamaha TD-1C seven port, Suzuki T-500J Titan, Suzuki GS450, Norton 850 Commando Interstate, Veolcette Thruxton, Suzuki GS750, Kawasaki 250 cruiser (wife bike), Moto Guzzi V50 III, BMW R100RS Final Edition, (long dry spell), Kymco Xciting 250 (wife bike) and Xciting 500, Suzuki S40 (wife bike), and finally a 2008 Versys - red of course. Hmmm, I've probably forgotten one or two but this has taxed my memory to the max. Sputter, boing, fizzle.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 PM

Well, im 31 and ive had a yamaha dt125, kawasaki er-5, Ktm 400 lc4, and now a 2011 versys. Bought the versys mainly because i loved the engine in the er-5, but thought it lacked power. The versys has all this pluss great riding position and is more usable and more fun.

Ermax hugger, Givi trunk, Kawasaki touring screen, ep radiator cover, gipro ds, gear indicator, powerbronze headlight protector, motowerk footpeg lowering kit and paddock stand+ bobbins, leovince underbody exhaust.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Old Guys Rule...
+10.....

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I am 44 so very close to the 45 or older group so feel very secure in this group haha, go you old farts lol
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 AM

I wonder what the percentage of female versys owners is....
But I also fit into the 8% at 27
Only been riding for 2 years (20k miles): 07 Ninja 250, 89 CBR600, 96 Triumph Tiger, 08 Versys
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:

I am the 2%

IBA # 49372
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 AM

8%'er
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 AM

I was 47 when I purchased and its my first bike. Being a keen surfer, a bike was never an obvious choice of transport. Traffic congestion got me thinking about bikes and the Versys won because of the availability of a learner legal model with ABS, it's comfy riding position. A bonus was the option of de-restricting it once I have a full licence. And I have walked to the beach for most of my surfs in the last 20 years, so I kept the old car and spent the dollars on two extra wheels
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 AM

I'm 47, so that puts me in the most popular age range for a Versys I guess.
Ive riden motorized cycles since I was old enough to ride a bicycle, starting with a Sears minibike with a Briggs & Stratton, then a Honda XL70, Honda XL100, Honda Elsinore 250, Honda CB550Four, Honda Sabre, Honda Intercepter, Honda Shadow, Kawasaki KLR, and lastly the Versys. So Ive had a taste of everything. I never thought about it but I guess I have always been a Honda guy at heart. Honda really should make the Versys.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 AM

2011 Red Versys
23 years old
This is my second bike, first being a 2007 KLR. I bought it in December of 2009.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 AM

i'm in the 'other' age bracket. there's a similar thread here.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM

I turn 40 on Saturday.

The V is my mid-life crisis mobile.

I've never owned a bike so this is my first. My wife bought it for me (after I spent months researching what I wanted) for my 40th Birthday present. Really you guys here on the forum are why I own a Versys.

I've owned my bike one week, I had my permit for one week, took my test on Saturday and passed, so now I have my full endorsement.

I'm an EMT and Safety Director for a construction company. My EMT job gives me constant reminders what NOT to do on a motorcycle. Seems like once a week we are scraping a sport bike rider off of the road or telephone pole.

I ride my V like I drive an ambulance with lights and sirens. My head is on a swivel and I expect every car I pass to pull out in front of me.

I've retired my car until the snow flies. I absolutely love riding this bike to work everyday.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Old Guys Rule...
Hey...get off my lawn.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 AM

let's see...
I've been a "serious" biker since I was 16 when I bought my first REAL bike from a team mate on the high school swim team. She was a beaut! A Raleigh 'Supercourse TT'...Renylolds 531-double butted frameset, (a true Raleigh made in Nottingham!) sew-up ties, Brooks saddle, Weinmann center-pull calipers and it came with Simplex drive train which I dumped for Suntour /Shimano components.
I probably put 10,000 miles on that one. Every winter I would strip the bike to the bare frame and repack every bearing set! My Dad thought I was crazy!
I loved that bike!
Next came my first and only Aluminium bike; A Cannondale SR500! Pure riding perfection.
Shimano "105" from front to back...First gen indexed rear drive.
Fast Fast Fast bike! and at 6'-2" and 180 lbs...I could not flex that bottom bracket even if I was standing on the pedals on a long climb! ( A harsh riding bike if your a feather weight but for me she was...FULL POWER....AMAZING!!!!).
Then I got hit by a motorist making a sudden right turn from the left turn lane!
Witnesses stop to wait for the cops and she didn't run. I was so pissed I broke out her windshield with my bare hand and took off her side mirrors, wipper-arms and antenna! (in hind-sight, not my proudest moment but when your life flashes before your eyes...you do things!).
The cop tried to get out of paper-work by telling me "SHE" could have me arrested for 'malicious destruction of property!!!!
I told the cop to do his F-ing job and I'll pay for my ... adrenaline surge!
(They never came to collect and she lost her licence for several years, Bitch!)

Gave up the road after that. The bike survived but...I lost my nerve I guess.
After two years....I had to ride again.
So came the best ever bike...A "Specialized Rockhopper GS" My chrome-moly triple and tapper-butted Beauty, I still ride her to this very day.
(Trees don't use cellphones or make sudden right turns from the left turn lane!)
Shimano "STX" with SRAM Gripshifters. Gotta love the Cantilever calipers...no school like old school, RIGHT!
and leave the bouncy bikes for the pu**y posers! Real men ride 'hardtails with fixed forks !!!!!! DAM-STRAIGHT BUCKO!

Funny....through all those great rides there was one component that followed me everywhere....can you guess what it was?
My "Brooks" model "B17" saddle that was OEM on the Raleigh all those many years ago. (still fits my butt to a "T" LOLOL...._).

Then came....The "V"!
Those magical letters and numbers; The 2009 Kawasaki,
"KLE-650 Versys"
...and after over 20,000 miles...life as I knew it has never and will never be the same again.
My "Green Hornet"
"Let the good times roll" INDEED!

(And yes...you can call the 'Kawi' my midlife crisis but, After happily working hard all these years for family, hearth and home...I'm worth it! We all are.
And besides...the "V" is my 'Obama Bike...bought with the rebate I got for buying my 'Last homely Home'. Thanks President Obama, I did what you had hoped and reinvested that money into our economy and my life is indeed better for it).

So that (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) is my story!
Gonna go hug my bikes now...
...It's gonna be a Kodak moment for sure.
Be well.
Ride safe.
Peace.

My name is Carl Leslie Blair (STAGEHAND38);
I'm a '64%er',
I'm 53 years old and I ride!
... and will always ride, till the day I die.
DAM STRAIGHT SKIPPY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010509.JPG (144.8 KB, 82 views)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM

I'm 30 years old and this is my first street legal bike. Before this had a KTM 400sx. In the 8%!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode