informal poll: why do you want more power? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
informal poll: why do you want more power?

I am halfway through a 1 week tour from Vancouver to the BC Kootenay's and back.
For reference I am 6'1" and 240 lbs with gear.
Riding speeds have been everthing between 60 and 80 mph.
I'm just curious why some people long for a bike with more power (ie the Versys 1000).
The 650 has no problem cruising at 70-80 mph all day and the roll-on acceleration is amazing.
If I need to pass someone I have no problem whatsoever and have many times.
Today on a long empty stretch of road I hit 90 mph (145 kph) in only 5th gear.
Apart from maybe riding 2-up alot, with the differences in purchase price, insurance, fuel economy, I am curious what other reasons there are to want a larger cc bike.
FWIW I have sat on the the Versys 1000, R1200GS, and personally they all lose the charm of the 650 which is the agile, manoeverablity of it.

2013 Versys1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Talking I don't

I have seen my Versys go fast enough for me. 102 mph two up. 107 with just me. The weight to HP ratio is great. It does everything I want and I am thinking this motor is bomb proof Why would I want to screw that up?

47 to 50 mpg, Throttle wheelies in first gear.

I like it the way it is. I also ride a BMW R1100RT.

David
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:24 PM

I've had bikes with more power (Ducati and the 4 brands from the land of the rising sun) and I've never felt the Versys needs more power. For it's intended use, the power delivery of the Versys is great. Most people just want more power for bragging rights, not actual need. Yes, like I've said I've had bikes with more power and I can swallow that macho pride and state that I VERY seldom used the extra power. I admit that when I was younger and "knew everything" I did push the limits lots of times but I've come to realize that the rush you get is just an accident waiting. If carrying lots of weight is a problem you face then there are better suited bikes that have more low end torque and lets face it, torque is what makes your wheels go round.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:11 PM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Why would I want more power? Without meaning to sound glib, why not?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Becuase I live in Colorado, most of my riding will be in the mtn's, I'm 5'11" 250 and plan to add paniers, trunk and other items plus maybe take the wife with me. Hence, I find the bike a little under powered. I am looking at going to the 44T sprocket to see if that helps. I did recently test ride a couple of Triumphs, Tiger 800 and Tiger Explorer 1215. While very pricey, if I were to sell the V, one of those would be the replacement I think.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 AM

If the versys isn't your first bike.

Ever ridden an R1? Not sure about them nowadays, but an 04 will so 108 in first gear and leave stains in your shorts everytime you hit the throttle.

Some people are less than willing to give that up.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 AM

If the Versys is your first, or largest, bike that you've owned, I can understand the craving to experience more power. However, like many of us here I'm sure, I've been there and done that - big fours with twice the BHP and everything in between. I rode too fast for 30 years because I could and, amazingly, survived..! Now, for me, the V is perfectly quick enough for real world riding without being bonkers fast. Do over 100mph in the UK and you're going to get your licence taken away and could face a period in one of Her Maj's hotels for a month or two. I'm sure it's similar in the US and elsewhere. Still today I get tempted by going back to a faster bike, but then I think of what I've said here and I see sense, and maybe preserve my life for a while longer..! Couple all this with what we all know - low running costs and a certain amount of 'exclusivity' - and it's a no brainer for me.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Highway speed limit is 110Km here and that easy meat for the V.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
"low running costs and a certain amount of 'exclusivity' - and it's a no brainer for me.
Exclusivity is right.
After three years I still get 'ducati-ed'!
"So, you painted your 'Duck' Kawi green to fool the thieves?"
I said guess again...they went to 'Aprilia'....and I said, 'third times the charm'...
...they guessed wrong with BMW!
When i told them Kawasaki....their jaws dropped!
True story!

Fun stuff

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM

That's like asking "why do you want more money? "

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM

I don't need more power. I am very happy with my 650 V just the way it is. I always run out of balls long before I run out of throttle and I am perfectly fine with that arrangement.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Having a Suzuki Bandit 1200S for 40,000 kms (which I really enjoyed), lead me to the conclusion that I was EITHER going to get put into jail for "an exhibition-of-speed", or a high speed accident. Had a KLR650 at the same time, and those TWO bikes convinced me that around 650cc was just about the right size. So, when the V got MOTY honors, I got in line and bought.

GREAT choice, and I don't want or need MORE HP!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM

I love my versys, don't get me wrong, but as a 2-up, full-fledged tourer it's just not comfortable. I do have a 42teeth rear sprocket which helped a lot but still looking at the bigger sister.

For some background, I have both panniers, top-case and ride 2-up 90% of the time. sometimes with gear on, camping gig on the back and girlfriend too at highway speeds it seems underpowered.

Then again, when I'm 1-up on the twisties, there's more versys than I can chew! I don't even get to use half it's power!

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 PM

I'd love more but the increased hp isn't worth the increased purchase price, insurance, lower fuel economy and increased threat of being stolen. I was thinking of a Tiger 1050 for the longest time but when I weigh it all out I am quite happy with my V and will settle for her.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM

I like my Versys for general riding, but sometimes.....I need to explode a little (not me but these are about the same year as my VMAX):
THAT'S WHY I LIKE POWERRRRRR!!!!!!

IBA # 49372
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Power is not an issue. I'm looking for a bit more room and a more relaxed ride while riding long distance two up. The high frequency vibes in the pegs can get annoying after a while. Added power is just incing on the cake. Although I would like to wait for the Versys 1000. I'm looking at the Super Tenere, Tiger explorer or an R1200 GS. However, I'm also been tempted to look at a big sport tourer like the Connie or the FJR. Money wise they look like more bang for the buck.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM

I don't care about gobs of power. What I do like is a load of torque, and usable power, which the Versys has plenty of. I am used to riding older inline 4's which, yes, are more powerful, and somewhat smoother, but don't have the low end torque that the Versys does. What I have noticed, is the Versys gives the sensation of acceleration, where an inline 4 comes to speed without translating the feeling of speed to the rider. The Versys' power also comes in early in the rpm range, creating more useable power than other bikes of similar CC configurations I have ridden. I am completely satisfied with the Versys for the riding I do: blasting around town, touring, and back road grin fests. It is more than amply powered in the speed range I drive. I would enjoy more torque, but only for quick acceleration.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I like my Versys for general riding, but sometimes.....I need to explode a little (not me but these are about the same year as my VMAX):

THAT'S WHY I LIKE POWERRRRRR!!!!!!
I traded my 2004 Vmax towards my V. The the Vmax was a nice bike as long you only rode it in a straight line. Although it had power to spare, I found the thing handled like a dump truck when it came time to take a corner. What gives the Vmax its crazy acceleration is the Vboost. Take that away, and because of its weight, it would be no faster than the Versys. But it still would not be able to corner like the Versys can.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Power is just about right.
I don't want any less, don't really need any more.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750

Last edited by DK35vince; 07-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode