Just rode 30 miles in the rain - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just rode 30 miles in the rain

new learning exp., didn't expect the rain to hit when it did so I wasn't prepared. Wasn't worried about my feet/legs, but I didn't have the liner in my jacket so my arms were soaked. Was definetly glad to have the taller windshield as it helped to block some of the rain off my visor.

My gripe, these tires suck in the rain, definetly getting new tires in the next two weeks, as well as some wet weather gear. Had to be very gentle on the throttle or they would loose grip on take-off, and a couple of slight curves were a little hairy with them.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Last year I rode 150 km in the rain ( that I didn't expect, so I didn't have the liner and rain pants). At the end I was soaked to the bones. Nothing was left dry, I mean NOTHING!
Other than that was a pleasure

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Did an 1100 mile trip once 900 miles was in the rain no big deal had great rain gear. Now if i get caught out in the rain without the rain suit i just take my wallet and everything i don't want to get wet and put it in the top case. Put on my mechanix gloves don't care if they get ruined and they do well in the wet stuff and then i just enjoy the wet ride.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM

I haven't seen rain in two months. I would be happy to ride in the rain at this point lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:07 AM

My husband and I rode from Phoenix to Denver and back last August and it rained 6 out of the 7 days we were gone. The only day it didn't rain was the day we were in Denver, NOT riding. And we didn't have any rain gear, or extra gear/clothing. Not prepared at all.

But it was a blast and I'd do it again anytime.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:29 AM

I am a fair weather rider by nature. I avoid rain if possible, not because of fear, but because it just sux to get soaked to the core. When I do hit the unexpected, I just put myself in old fart mode and go easy on the throttle & brakes and do just fine, even on the stock tires.

I do have full rain gear but still do not enjoy rain rides to make good use of it.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 07-07-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Rain Gear Statement
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:41 AM

I'm with you on the " we haven't seen rain in 2 weeks" Ark. is bone dry. We are in for some rain in the next couple of days. I'm with Cap Kirk in that I don't ride in the rain just for fun. I've been caught out in the rain several times, It takes the fun out of the ride for me. My biggest problem is water on my shield and fogging up and traction and being seen and seeing and and and. You get the idea.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Garage
I dont go out looking for rain. (wont leave my house on the bike if its raining) But have no problem riding in the rain.

A few weeks ago I rode 65 miles down to NJ to see some friends. It was supposed to rain late, but well after I got home. Of course I didnt get out of there till way late just as the HEAVY rain rolled in around midnight. I didnt have my rain gear of coarse...

Every time I put on the brakes I could feel the water running down my arms and into my gloves. I poured out my boots when i got home. I had on new black leather gloves. The water and the leather dyes stained my hands, and I had black hands for several days.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM

It's 106 here today, I'd love to ride 30 miles in the rain! And I hate riding in the rain as a rule but it'd be the only cool ride I'd get.

I have a Touring jacket that's water proof (as water proof any of them are anyway) So I bought a pair on rain pants and keep them in a saddle bag. I also have learned to keep a pair of back up gloves on the bike and a small towel in a Zip lock bag. I've been caught in the rain and was dressed out in less than 5 mins and stayed dry the rest of the ride. A roll of tape and you can tape the top of the face shield if yout helmet lets water run down the inside of the visor. I keep a roll of the blut painters tape on hand but my Shoie Quest stays dry as toast.

Michelin PR2 are your friends for tires go. But any good Sport Touring tire should help. Now as far as grips go...you on your own there. They all seem slick to me.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode