Incredible vaccuum lifting gas cap - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Incredible vaccuum lifting gas cap

I must admit, this is my first new bike in a LONG time, also my first fuel injected bike. Maybe this is normal, but it takes everything I have not to bend my key opening my gas cap. Any secrets to prying that sucker up? Does it lessen with time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Push down with your thumb and turn
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER View Post
Push down with your thumb and turn
+1

But also get a couple of these.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...eel+key+blanks The stock keys are pretty soft

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcircle View Post
I must admit, this is my first new bike in a LONG time, also my first fuel injected bike. Maybe this is normal, but it takes everything I have not to bend my key opening my gas cap. Any secrets to prying that sucker up? Does it lessen with time?
Ditto on the steel key, however there shouldn't be any vacuum. I bought two steel keys, no more worry.Also you will find that pressing down on the gas cap reduces the turning force required.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Garage
This works too...

IMG_0016 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 AM

I believe that is mentioned in the owners manual. The pushing down part that is.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Spray some WD-40 into the key hole. If the lock is stiff this will make a huge difference.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Spray some WD-40 into the key hole. If the lock is stiff this will make a huge difference.
I had read in the past, not to use WD40 as it will attract dirt into the cylinder more. It said to use graphite instead. Bought a spray can of graphite and my lock has turned very easy ever since.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I believe that is mentioned in the owners manual. The pushing down part that is.
+10 and just put a drop of oil....

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 AM

weljo, cool cap set up, where does one get such a thing?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
weljo, cool cap set up, where does one get such a thing?

Not the exact one i have but from the same vendor. I've had it for over 2 years and still looks the same as when i got it http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...rsys&_osacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 AM

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
+1

But also get a couple of these.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...eel+key+blanks The stock keys are pretty soft
Thanks for the link to the key blanks. I just had to order two!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Thanks for the link to the key blanks. I just had to order two!
Take them to Ace Hardware. Some places don't want to cut steel keys.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Fullcircle -- I would bet that your gas cap is broken.

I had the SAME ISSUE with my brand new 2011 versys. I was going crazy. Even the bike shop thought I was an idiot and just said "push down then turn". I am going to assume that you are not an idiot and you know how to turn a key.

That being said the issue was "The Cap wasnt venting properly". Without proper ventillation the fuel pump will remove the gas but then air will not filter back into the tank, thus becoming a vaccum inside.

Obviously, the longer you ride (100+ miles) without opening it, the stronger the vaccum.

I took it to the dealer after riding it around 100 miles and they were in shock by the fact that they couldnt open it, and only could after taking a screw driver to it in order to pry it open.

Needless to say, it's under warranty, they threw a new stock cap on it and no more issues after that.

Bring it back to the dealer and tell them the cap is not venting!

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mine is a 2011 also, thanks for assuming I'm not an idiot
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Is it a California smogged version?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15897
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode