Man it's hot - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Man it's hot

and I can't get the A/C on my Versys to work so I took the Givi screen off and put the factory one back on. Remember 2-55 A/C? Two windows down and 55MPH.

Anyway becareful in real hot weather. I was coming back from Iron Pony, about 50 miles, yesterday and came across a bunch of riders on the side of the road, one was down NOT due to crash but heat stroke. I had a cooler I keep filled WITH ice cold water and tea and tried to cool him down as we waited on the EMTs to show up and haul him away. By the time you feel you need water it's to late so drink up (water only please beer's for home) and wear the right type of gear, he had on chaps and a leather vest, I was in mesh.

NOW I do I charge the A/C on this bike?

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM

That was awesome of you assisting! Yesterday I rode a bit over an hour in 100+ and was pretty beat by the time I got home. I was starting to feel a little reaction fatigue and saw a leo in opposing lane and slowed probably to late (cable barrier) so decided it was time to get off that road and take a gatorade break which was well definitely needed.

TMI but you're hydrated when your urine is clear!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM

I rode 100 miles in over 100 degree heat this past Friday and I thought I was going to caught on fire. I took a bottled water with me but 30 minutes after I started it was too hot to drink so I poured it over my head and chest and took off down the rode and the breeze cooled me off. Sunday night when t was time to go home I waited for the sun to go down. Much Better.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Learned long ago the wear good gear. A good mesh jacket will help to keep you cooler by shading you and still let the breaze in. I also have a Camelbak pack for biking that I have used offroading on the KLR. Stays this hot and I use on the Versys too!

If things are really nasty hot a Cool Vest will do wonders almost like having A/C on your bike, and a Cool Vest doesn't cost all that much. I had one I gave under $30.00 for, I wore it twice a loaned to a friend who's dog had it for a snack. He paid me for and I have yet to replace it.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:51 AM

Heat does take a huge toll in your riding time. A good mesh jacket with a damped up t-shirt will give the A/C effect for as long as the t-shirt stays wet. Soak it up again when it dries up. Drink lots of fluids too, sports drink would be good to replenish the salts lost in the perspiration.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 AM

Air conditioning would be nice.

http://entrosys.com/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM

We broke record heat here in Atlanta this past weekend. That combined with our usual smog kept me from riding. 106* and red smog alert takes all the fun out!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Not to mention, a Ga 106* has a 120* heat index due to the humidity. Satan called, he wants his weather back!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM

The temps have gotten ridiculous. Couple of things to keep in mind:

Mesh does nothing to help keep you cool when it's over 100 as your sweat evaporates before it can help cool you. A vented full jacket is actually more helpful in many cases

Your neck is the easiest place to help keep cool when on the bike. Large veins are very close to the skin surface, so something like this can be VERY helpful:
http://www.polarbreezebandanas.com/

They're cheap, and they do a good job of keeping you from feeling like your face was put in a furnace.

Some helmets have pads that you can soak in water as well. I've had good luck with this for shorter distance rides. There are a couple places that make cooling vests as well, though these are generally a bit more expensive than the bandanas :-)

Stay safe everybody. Hope I don't sound preachy!

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode