Project fix my Versys (a creatively titled thread) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Project fix my Versys (a creatively titled thread)

Well, as I posted in the new members section, I just bought a new to me Versys. On the way home, a tie down broke and the bike fell off the trailer. I figured I'd post up some pics of the carnage and make a thread to document the restoration efforts. As pictures describe the damage better than I can, here they are:

So, the damage is documented, and the search for parts begins! Here's the list:

Seat (probably just do the SC foam and cover, as my pan is good)
Right side cowling
Gas tank
Mirrors
Handlebars
Front Master cylinder assembly
Right front turn signal
Rear Master cylinder and pedal
Right foot peg
Right radiator cover
Rear Grab Handles
Engine Side Covers
Bar weight
Right footrest stay

Dang, that's a lot of crap! But not as bad as it could have been, at least the bike didn't flip over and get the other side too!

If anybody has any of this crap laying around in the garage and wants to get rid of it, you know someone who will want it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Garage
Alot of that you can get off ebay. The front master cylinder for a ninga 650 are the same as the versys and usally much cheaper at ebay also.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Awww man! That sucks. You re right though, it could have been worse. Hope you get it up and running soon!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Alot of that you can get off ebay. The front master cylinder for a ninga 650 are the same as the versys and usally much cheaper at ebay also.
Didn't think of a Ninja 650 cylinder, thanks for the tip! Also, according to Ron Ayers, the rear cylinder is the same as well.

Last edited by Josh1466; 07-01-2012 at 11:05 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM

If you are any good at sanding and painting, you can fix the plastics yourself. Thats what I did for my bike. I decided to change the radiator cover colors to black. That way I didnt have to worry about matching colors. My right side cowling still needs color, but I have not ordered it from color rite yet.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Garage
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...rsys&_osacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM

You can strip the plactic off the rear grab handles and use them for the base for a rear rack. that is what I have done, it saved me the cost a rack. $150.00 or up. I posted on your other thread. I have used BikeBandits in the past. Good luck, keep us informed
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Dern that's sad.
My strap dry rotted and I just happened to look back at about 60mph when it broke.
The bike went over and caught on the side of the trailer and did not fall out.
Just a little plastic damage up front.
Good luck,.

MotoEd
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 AM
VOz

Holy crap. That's bad luck friend.

Just the kind of thing that can happen to any one of us.

Good luck.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Why not just make an insurance claim?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by basby View Post
Why not just make an insurance claim?
I'm betting that he didn't have it insured yet since he just bought it. Not sure if Auto insurance will covered towed vehicles...usually need a rider for that.

To fix the seat two options find a place the upholsters car seats and have them make a new seat or order a seat concepts kit.

The rest I agree....flebay is your friend..

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

I know this is a bit late - I always try to remember to tie the front wheel to the wheel-chock. Once I too had a tie-down snap (towing my TT500), and the front-wheel stayed attached to the trailer so I had ZERO damage to the bike.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 PM

I am sorry to see this happened to you. I'd be broken hearted. I wish I had some part to send your way but I just got my V and don't have much stocked up yet.

BUT if the seat's the same for a 2012 I have the foam and cover I be happy to send your way. I did the SC thing and the factory stuff sitting the the gararge. Anyone know?

Time

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I am sorry to see this happened to you. I'd be broken hearted. I wish I had some part to send your way but I just got my V and don't have much stocked up yet.

BUT if the seat's the same for a 2012 I have the foam and cover I be happy to send your way. I did the SC thing and the factory stuff sitting the the gararge. Anyone know?

Time
It's the same.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Garage
I wouldn't worry about the grab handles.I like mine without them..

IMG_1493 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I'm betting that he didn't have it insured yet since he just bought it. Not sure if Auto insurance will covered towed vehicles...usually need a rider for that.

To fix the seat two options find a place the upholsters car seats and have them make a new seat or order a seat concepts kit.

The rest I agree....flebay is your friend..
You are correct, I didn't have it insured yet. Bought it on Saturday and my agent wasn't in. Auto doesn't cover the bike, so yes, flebay is my friend right now! Already found mirrors, and both brake master cylinders!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1466 View Post
You are correct, I didn't have it insured yet. Bought it on Saturday and my agent wasn't in.
It's worth checking your policy or calling your agent to be sure. I know with my policy, for example, if I buy a motorcycle I have 24 hours to tell the agent and arrange coverage. If anything happens in that 24-hour period before I notify the agent, it's covered to the same extent as the lowest level of coverage I already have on an existing bike. So if you already had another bike insured, you may have some coverage. I'm sure that varies from company to company and policy to policy, but it's definitely worth checking.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the grab handles.I like mine without them..

IMG_1493 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I like it without the grab handles too, I think I will just take them off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode