How do you clear your radiator? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

How do you clear your radiator?

OK. How do I clean all the dead bugs out of the radiator. Looks like crap and I want to clean them out without hurting the radiator. I don't want to use a high pressure washer as I've seen radiators striped of the fins from those. Any cleaners and tips that will help make the job eazier?

KLR's that same way but there's a "guard" so you dont see the radiator BUT I need to clean it to for cooling reasons if nothing else.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
OK. How do I clean all the dead bugs out of the radiator. Looks like crap and I want to clean them out without hurting the radiator. I don't want to use a high pressure washer as I've seen radiators striped of the fins from those. Any cleaners and tips that will help make the job eazier?

KLR's that same way but there's a "guard" so you dont see the radiator BUT I need to clean it to for cooling reasons if nothing else.
I usually spray some sort of degreaser / bug cleaner and then use a soft bristle brush and let them get saturated good and then brush off..I try to do this after every ride so there is no build up..

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 AM

As needed, I spray it off with a garden hose from the back (via the sides) first, then the front, then use an 18-volt battery operated blower to blow off the water - back then front.

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
I usually spray some sort of degreaser / bug cleaner and then use a soft bristle brush and let them get saturated good and then brush off..I try to do this after every ride so there is no build up..
Ditto

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM

I know it sounds funny, I have a bird that cleans mine. Never fails soon as I get home he is there waiting on me to go inside. Got some pictures somewhere of him hanging on and eating a warm cooked meal. No harm no foul so I let him have at it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Garage
Most do it youself carwash pressures are set between 900-1100psi if your still worried just don't get the wand to close to the radiator. A 3500psi pressure washer can drop to 90psi or anywhere in between by changing the tips.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Most do it youself carwash pressures are set between 900-1100psi if your still worried just don't get the wand to close to the radiator. A 3500psi pressure washer can drop to 90psi or anywhere in between by changing the tips.
Most pressure washers are powerful enough to bend the fins on the radiator.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Garage
local car wash no.....Most pressure washers yes. But by putting on the correct tip you can make the pressure whatever you want lower than what the pressure washer top psi is rated at. Don't let the different color tips throw you off thats only the spray angle.White Tip 40 degree Green Tip 25 degree Yellow Tip 15 degree Red 0 degree never use this tip unless you want to destroy something. By changing the orfice you can lower the pressure.A garden hose it at about 90 psi. Used to sell pressure washing equipment and chemicals. Heres a chart that will help.....http://www.powerwash.com/quick-conne...t-nozzle-chart

Example if you have a 3500psi 5.0gpm washer and you want to lower the pressure to 1500psi locate the desired pressure in the top yellow column then take your finger and go down to the gpm of your machine without going over then go all the way to the left to get your orfice size.

Normal nozzle for 3500psi 5.0gpm is orfice size 05 then just add the angle you want say 25 degree so you have a 2505 nozzle

Nozzle to lower 3500psi 5.0gpm washer to 1500psi would be orfice size 08 so for a 25 degree angle you need a 2508 nozzle with that the same machine now delivers 1500psi at 5gpm. the gpm never changes. You can lower the pressure of any washer but you can't make one produce more pressure than what the pump is made for...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-01-2012 at 03:35 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popotwins View Post
I know it sounds funny, I have a bird that cleans mine. Never fails soon as I get home he is there waiting on me to go inside. Got some pictures somewhere of him hanging on and eating a warm cooked meal. No harm no foul so I let him have at it.
shouldn't this be no harm to the fowl?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Make sure the bike is completey cool before messing with the radiator. The metal fins are very soft when the rad is hot.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popotwins View Post
Just my luck, I have three parrots here and all they want is seeds...and to chew the wiring!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode