First spill - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

First spill

Well, it's about time it happened to me...had my first little spill this evening in stop and go traffic on the freeway approaching the SF Bay Bridge. Lane splitting at a pretty slow speed, maybe 5 mph? One of my side bags (Givi V35) clipped the rear of a semi-trailer. Almost kept the bike up, but no luck.

End of clutch lever broke off, handle bars bent, a few small scratches on the left bar end and mirror, and some scratches on the side bag too.

The only real damage to me is the lower portion of my right pointer finger got a little smashed. Nothing broken, but a little swollen, and probably a nice bruise will develop. We'll see what other aches and pains develop in the next day or two. And then there's my ego...

I'm actually kinda glad this happened. When I bought the bike a few months ago I had a feeling that this would be the bike that I went down on. I've been riding nearly daily for the past 6 years, have had my m/c license close to 12 years with a 5 year hiatus, and this is the first time I've been down with the bike. Thankfully it was minor and thankfully the wifey didn't freak out too much...

Oh yeah, I was ATGATT, probably protected me from a few extra bruises.

Peace

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you are Ok and wifey dint freak out.

Keep us posted and trust all will be well soon.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad your ok and also glad you were ATGATT, never been down on a road bike myself.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 AM

Garage
Sorry to hear about your spill. I lane split a good bit thats one of the reasons i left the barend weights on and used the thickest spacer when i put on the handguards to make the bars a little wider so if i have enough room for the handlebars to get through everything else will make it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 AM
ddc

Good to hear you are alright.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM

That sucks! Sorry to hear it but glad you're OK. Let me know if you need to postpone our ride Saturday. In my experience (too much of it...), aches and pains do show up the next day.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all!

Paul, lets chat tomorrow and see where I'm at. I'm going to try to hunt down a set of bars today...

2011 Imperial Red
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
MTS

That sucks, glad you are ok! And wife not freaked out!

Hope it all comes together for you and you are back ridin!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM

Good luck finding the bars. If you are willing to go aftermarket you might be able to find them soon. It seems I started a bad trend, you are the second to post after I laid mine down the other day!! Glad you are ok!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM

BailyMan, glad it was minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Sorry to hear about your spill. I lane split a good bit thats one of the reasons i left the barend weights on and used the thickest spacer when i put on the handguards to make the bars a little wider so if i have enough room for the handlebars to get through everything else will make it.
That's a good idea. The factory luggage sticks out beyond the stock bar end?

FWIW if your bar ends are the widest point, yeah you'll make it when travelling straight. It still easy to forget about the bags and catch one on something when going around it (e.g. from directly behind to along side). The only things I've ever caught with side cases were the poles in front of pumps at the gas station. Once brushed it with the side of the case. Once bumped it with the front. That time I went down--at very low speed.

One thing I might look for in a future bike is factory luggage that isn't wider than the bars.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Some updated thoughts, because I realized that I don't actually know what happened to start the whole chain of unfortunate events. I don't like not knowing...My initial thought was that I must have hit one of my side cases as I was sharing that lane, but I don't think that adds up...and here's why...

My right hand and handlebar took the majority of the damage. I definitely hit some part of a tractor trailer on the right side with enough force to bend the handlebar, put a little gash in the grip and and bruise my fingers. I don't think that would have happened had I scraped the right case. There's no damage to that case suggesting I clipped the front part of it either.

I lost my balance to the left side, and the bike ultimately fell to the left. If I hit the right handlebar, it would have turned the bars to the right, shifting the weight of the bike to the left, explaining why I suddenly found myself hopping on my left foot 3 or 4 times trying to keep it up before the bike essentially fell over.

I may have clipped the left side case on the car on my left, which then pushed me into the trailer, hitting the right handle bar, yada yada yada, but I'm not sure. I'm following up with insurance about possible damage to the car on my left. I think there's a good chance that I at least bounced off him a little. Maybe as the tractor trailer started moving again, it inched in a little and clipped me. The order of events is a mystery, and might always be one.

One thing's for sure, I have been rarely lane splitting when I have my side cases on now. I have a couple of rules when it comes to lane sharing, one of which I broke that day. 1) if I'm going over 30 mph, I don't need to lane share, 2) NEVER lane share on the right side of any kind of truck (except passenger pickups), 3) don't lane share on any side of a semi, (well, maybe if traffic is stop and go and I'm on his left and not sharing his lane, and there's a comfortable gap, and the other vehicle has been holding a steady line, and since I'm a safe and cautious rider, then I guess it's ok to break my rule occasionally...or maybe not)

Thanks for letting me ramble guys!

2011 Imperial Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode