Test rode bmw800 gs......My 2 cents on it - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Test rode bmw800 gs......My 2 cents on it

They just opened a new dealership in my area, had an open house this weekend so i decided to see what they had...I've previously owned a 03 r1150rt. test rode the 800 gs , likes..well the ABS was great, bike felt lighter than i figured, the 21 inch front wheel was nice on gravel, far better than my Verysys....now for the dislikes..the seat was killing me after 20miles, the engine puts off way more heat than the V, could be due to the fact the radiator sits high on the frame, really felt it on my legs, the front suspension is better suited for trails but in no way handled like the V in the curves, power output was nice and above 7 grand it pulled good, at 80mph on the freeway the bike did not feel nearly as smooth as the V, again due to the front supsension i would think. It makes more power than the V but the seat of the pants feel didnt really seem like it.. All in all i cant say my Versys is going anywhere soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Bet you are glad to have the Versys. I like mine too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm wishing i had the time to ride the 650gs, i'm sure the thumper egine would be down on power compared to the V, but i did like the overall feel of the bike while sitting on it...anyone out there rode one?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for your honest review on 800GS.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM

The GS's 21" front wheel helps stability at low speed, like in gravel, but the V's 17" front wheel helps stability at high speed, like the highway. Different beasts.

Thanks for your $.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
To me the bikes are apples and oranges....one is a Dual Sport the other a sport bike...hard to compare performance. I would hope the V would handle better on road and the GS off better...if not they failed in the design.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

BEFORE I got my Vs, I 'test-rode' the 650 and 1000 Stroms, and BMWs 1200GS, 800GS and F650GS (800cc twin).

I BELIEVE the V is the best of the lot!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
To me the bikes are apples and oranges....one is a Dual Sport the other a sport bike...hard to compare performance. I would hope the V would handle better on road and the GS off better...if not they failed in the design.
^^this. which is better depends upon the job description... and the interviewer.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
It makes more power than the V but the seat of the pants feel didnt really seem like it.. All in all i cant say my Versys is going anywhere soon
Interesting.

Before I bought the Versys I demoed an F658GS. Less powerful than the F800GS, but still according to specs more than the Versys. It was the slowest watercooled bike I ever remember riding. I searched the rev range in vain for a powerband. I thought the bike was broken--at least at one point in the ride there was a warning light lit on the dash, and I thought it might have been in a low-power engine computer fault mode.

On paper it seemed like a better fit for my needs than the 800, and I thought I might love it. I didn't enjoy riding it, and bought the Versys instead.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySpanish View Post
Personally, I think the f650gs twin is the better bike. It's the best GS for the money.
Have you actually ridden the F650GS twin (F658GS)? Wondering if the one I rode was broken. On paper it made a lot of sense. Didn't think much of it on the ride though.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 AM

Garage
I've lived with my Versys for more than a year now and used it to explore just about any dirt road I've come across. Doing this I've come to the conclusion that a true duel sport adv. bike like the Triumph 800xc or the BMW 800 GS are bikes built for a mission that does not really exist in most areas, at least not unless you live in Alaska or Northern Canada where dirt and gravel roads abound. I live in an urban area and even when I ride miles out of the city the only passable dirt roads I find are dead end roads a few kms long. There are a lots of logging roads and trails too but they are simply too rough and technical for anything other than a light weight MX type bike. Unless you are in a very remote region I would think it would actually be impossible to tour off road - there just are no significant dirt roads around that will take you from point A to point B. The dirt roads that are passable to an adv. bike are also passable to cars and just about any kind of motorcycle. My point being I'm not sure I would want to put up with the 21 inch front tire and soft suspension of a dual sport capable bike for the few times I ride dirt roads - I can still ride the same roads with the Versys or any other bike, just at a slightly slower pace and when I get back on the pavement where I spend 99% of my time the bike is optimized for it.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-27-2012 at 02:59 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've lived with my Versys for more than a year now and used it to explore just about any dirt road I've come across. Doing this I've come to the conclusion that a true duel sport adv. bike like the Triumph 800xc or the BMW 800 GS are bikes built for a mission that does not really exist in most areas, at least not unless you live in Alaska or Northern Canada where dirt and gravel roads abound. I live in an urban area and even when I ride miles out of the city the only passable dirt roads I find are dead end roads a few kms long. There are a lots of logging roads and trails too but they are simply too rough and technical for anything other than a light weight MX type bike. Unless you are in a very remote region I would think it would actually be impossible to tour off road - there just are no significant dirt roads around that will take you from point A to point B. The dirt roads that are passable to an adv. bike are also passable to cars and just about any kind of motorcycle. My point being I'm not sure I would want to put up with the 21 inch front tire and soft suspension of a dual sport capable bike for the few times I ride dirt roads - I can still ride the same roads with the Versys or any other bike, just at a slightly slower pace and when I get back on the pavement where I spend 99% of my time the bike is optimized for it.
WHAT HE SAID

2013 Versys1000
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
power output was nice and above 7 grand it pulled good.... It makes more power than the V but the seat of the pants feel didnt really seem like it....
I rode one a couple of years ago, and found it really came to life up high, and it responded well to being caned.

Kurt

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Come up to Northern New England...I'll show you town roads ( supposedly Maintained) You wouldn't want to ride anything less than a DS on. Add to that the miles of unmaintained roads...I can see owning a true DS bike....oh wait I do...I keep a KLR650 in the stable for those places

I have considered getting ride of both and buying something like a Super Tener...

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode