To trade or not to trade - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

To trade or not to trade

I've have a new 2012 Versys I got about a month ago and I have a little over 800 miles on it 100% of that is on pavement. Dirt roads aren't for me if I can help it. The bike is fine and I've been enjoying it but I'm already itching for more power.

Talked to the dealer and for 6000 more dollars plus my Versys I can get a 2012 Ninja 1000 ABS with saddle bags.

I guess I'm just curious what other people think about that idea. Yes I know it's my decision ,but I'm open to other peoples thoughts. If that makes any sense. So anyway what do you guys and gals think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 AM

It's only money!
That said, there is a leftover Ninja 1000 in my area for 9.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM

If it were me, I'd think about what my motorcycling needs are. A ninja 1000 is not the bike I need or desire. The versys (& 650cc's) is perfect for my urban living, freeway commutes, & weekend trips.

My guess is that you've alteady made up your mind. If the Ninja 1k is what you want, go for it. Most important is that you are on a bike that you like. Financially, you might take a little hit, but it sounds like you can afford it.

Happy riding!

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Right now I'd rather wish for more power than have too much and get into trouble with it. Getting injured at this stage of my life just takes too much time and energy to recover from, so I'm "keeping it smooth." Just the view from my eyes....

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:29 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Actually I haven't decided. I'm also thinking maybe Kawasaki will bring the Versys 1000 to the US next year so I might wait.

As far as the Versys goes the only beefs I have is the seat and the windsrceen. Both fixable i know.

My wife has agreed I get can any bike I want but only one.

Last edited by Threebyrds; 06-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM

A lot of older riders are going the opposite direction. I opted for a 650cc Versys over my Honda ST1100 (which will go up for sale soon). I liked the 225lb difference. I like the light handling. I liked the near naked look. I liked the upright riding position. I liked the mileage.
I have her set up to tour with tour related farkles.
But I was a lot younger once and I understand the desire for the 1000. Heck, I bought the Kawasaki H1 500cc triple when it first came out.
Guess I got most of that zoom-zoom stuff out of my system.
My advice would be to enjoy the Versys you have for at least a year and opt not to go into even more debt that you may already have. See what you think maybe at the end of the riding season in 2013 and then hunt around for an even better deal on a 1000 if that's still what you think you want.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM

Ducati Multistrada
Big brother to the Versys. Gonna take a little more than six grand though.

I'm thinking the same thing...the shortlist:

Super Tenere
R1200GS
Tiger 800
Explorer 1200

I really like the 'strada but I'm also looking for some off pavement capability. KTM 990 is really good but too finicky and expensive to maintain. 'Strada falls into this category as well.

The main thing I dislike about the Versys is the buzziness. And it's not so great for 2-up. Otherwise it's been a great bike. Would like a 19" front wheel and better suspension, smoother engine. All of the above do that.

The Tenere keeps coming up to the top. It's weight is holding me back though.

For another 'cheapo' the Z1000 is popular. Seems to be excellent as well. I would do that before a Ninja 1000. The roadracer thing is just not me.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM

WOW, one month and only 800 miles and you are already thinking about trading. Not sure how long you've been riding but I have to say I feel sorry for you. I've had 17 different bikes in my life but I started riding in the 70s. At the rate you are deciding to change rides, you are going to go through LOTS of $$$$ during your riding lifetime...LOL.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM

I down sized from my R1100RS 2 years ago, and have never wanted for more power.
If I need more, all I do is click 'er down a notch, and twist.

I just got back from a 3500 mile, 10 day Colorado odyssey. Lots of 11, 12 and 13k passes including 14,140 ft on Mt. Evans.

There was even a 90+ mph up over Vail pass keeping a bunch of 1200GS's at bay....... Oh yeah, this was fully loaded w/ 10 days of camping gear too.

This engine amazes me.
6'3" 210 lbs.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Toddzilla, I think a better saying is, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
Toddzilla, I think a better saying is, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Naw, neither are fun slow.....well, unless there's a bunch of rocks in front of you.
And riding the slow bike fast takes more brains & work

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM

I don't know if the money sounds right, but I don't know your market. But, if the numbers sound right, I'd probably go for it. Only because I wish I had a bit more forward lean, the extra power is a bonus.

07 Versys - Ebony
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

I rode a Ninja 1000 at DemoDays. That motor and those brakes! Oh my! I would like one to park next to my Versys. You have to know what you want. At my age, I like sitting upright. Next year, maybe, the 1 liter Versys will come to the US.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Well after considering my options and reading the comments here I've decided it would be better for me to keep the Versys. Maybe later I'll get sometime different. Thanks for your opinions and maybe someday I'll see some of you on the road.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Would be nice to see the Versys 1000 and Crosstourer here in the States. I would be really temped by the new Honda. But I think it's an auto and I still want to shift gears.

The Tiger 1200 Explorer is actually quite a nice bike. Sat on one today. The drivetrain has been raved about. They are expensive though, about the same as a Tenere. A base 'strada is near there, just a bit more. A base GS isn't that far off either.

Dealer was sold out of 800's. Actually they had one XC in black, I was looking for a T800, the roading one with alloy wheels and tubeless tires. A lot of bike for the money.

That's one of the reasons the Versys is so popular - look what you get for the money. Performance, 5gl fuel, good ergos, solid dependability. It's no slouch if you want to twist the throttle.

I test rode a GS and thought it a bit clunky. I dunno, I guess I would get used to it. It doesn't seem exciting enough to me. It's like riding an airplane engine. I thought first was too tall. And their stock seat isn't any better than the versys one.

Every time I look at new bikes I have to look at what I've done to mine to make it better. It's all dialed in and its such a fun bike to ride.

Chris Brown
In SoCal

Last edited by CJBROWN; 06-22-2012 at 09:19 PM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I've heard that the T800 has excessive heat off the engine. Don't know if that's true are not.
There is one thing about the Versys that is becoming a nuisance to me. Every time I hit 88 mph I time travel back to 1955. Anybody know the cure for that?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebyrds View Post
I've heard that the T800 has excessive heat off the engine. Don't know if that's true are not.
My husky does that too. You'll be riding along and there'll be a big whoosh of heat. Must be the thermostat opening.

I have heard that too on the Tiger. It's warm here in CA a lot - that would be a drag. I actually went to test one out today and they didn't have one to try out.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Chris, Let us know how you fair on the Tiger roadie. I, like you, keep an eye on the ADV thread experiences on that sweet bike. (Love the XC but really I wouldn't be taking it much off-road. Would be sort of like those Land Rover folks whose idea of adventure is a fire road.) I've been tempted towards the T800 roadie, but no earlier than next year for me. Love the V but would love a little more umph on the freeway without re-grearing the V...which present gearing is happy for me. Would love a smaller bike (WR250R or something) for the Los Padres NF. Not this ugly year.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 PM

I may run down to Newport Beach Ducati and Truimph tomorrow, I think they may have some. We were there a couple of weeks ago to look at the 'strada. Wifey liked the matt titanium S Tourer. Twenty grand. 150hp. Egads. They are a new dealer for Triumph.

I think I'd be happier on a Tenere or Tiger. I probably wouldn't ride a big roadie offroad much either, and a Tenere would make a really nice road bike that would have the capability if it found it's way onto the rougher roads. We get jeep roads out here (CA) that get pretty dicey. I'm not convinced the Tiger would give me the room I want for 2-up. Hafta check it out, as they say.

The GS was really good for 2-up. I just didn't care for the whole feel of it. And the dealer costs for everything on them is just scary. Ducati too.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the GS owners threads said something about being crazy to own one out of warranty.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode