Larger front tire for me? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Larger front tire for me?

Hi guys,

Just a quick question here, I'm thinking about going to a 130/80/17 tire up front. Those of you that have done this can you tell me if the handling changed for you? If so, good or not so good changes, ( I can't imagine it getting better) the V is awesome in the twistys.

Many Thanks,

2009 Versys
Givi E21 side cases
Leo Vince exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAkawa View Post
Hi guys,

Just a quick question here, I'm thinking about going to a 130/80/17 tire up front. Those of you that have done this can you tell me if the handling changed for you? If so, good or not so good changes, ( I can't imagine it getting better) the V is awesome in the twistys.

Many Thanks,
Seems like there are alot of different answers to that question.

I suppose it probably depends on where you ride and how hard you push the bike....

Using the Shinko 705 130 up front, handling is no different on pavement but much better on dirt/gravel. A bit louder on the open road at highway speed.

disclaimer - the versys is the wifes bike.. but ive ridden it many times

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:58 PM

What's wrong with your handling that you feel the need to put a wider tire on the front?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

My main concern is handling on pavement. The tire I want up front is good on gravel, and dirt roads. I just dont want to sacrifice the good road handling.

2009 Versys
Givi E21 side cases
Leo Vince exhaust
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAkawa View Post
Hi guys,

Many Thanks,
A: Going to a bigger front tire is going to negatively impact the on pavement handling of the bike. I've fooled around with non stock tire sizes on previous bikes and never had great results.
B: The Versys is a great sport/tour bike IMO but it is never going to be a true off road bike for rough terrain. With pavement oriented dual sport tires (95/5) like the Scorpion Trails you will be more limited by the suspension and weight of the bike than you will be by traction. As a rule of thumb I find the Versys does not like dirt roads you could not drive a car down.
C: Currently the Scorpion Trails (95/5) and Avon Distanzias (80/20) are the only dual sport tires available to fit the Versys in 120/70-17 & 160/60-17. The Scorpions are going to be better on pavement and the Distanzias slightly more traction off pavement.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
A: Going to a bigger front tire is going to negatively impact the on pavement handling of the bike. I've fooled around with non stock tire sizes on previous bikes and never had great results.
B: The Versys is a great sport/tour bike IMO but it is never going to be a true off road bike for rough terrain. With pavement oriented dual sport tires (95/5) like the Scorpion Trails you will be more limited by the suspension and weight of the bike than you will be by traction. As a rule of thumb I find the Versys does not like dirt roads you could not drive a car down.
C: Currently the Scorpion Trails (95/5) and Avon Distanzias (80/20) are the only dual sport tires available to fit the Versys in 120/70-17 & 160/60-17. The Scorpions are going to be better on pavement and the Distanzias slightly more traction off pavement.

Thanks! that was the exact kind of input I was looking for.

2009 Versys
Givi E21 side cases
Leo Vince exhaust
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Not true the Pirelli MT60 will fit the V stock.. I run them front and back...good on road feel and great of dirt roads.
My concern with them in longevity with 2k on them I'm noticing wear on the rear...I hope I can get 6K out of the rear at least.

Linky

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

When I put Tourances on my V, the 130/80 front felt like it wouldn't turn, at first, enough so that I'm not sure that I would "switch bikes" with someone.

HOWEVER - after about 100 miles of riding on it, I do NOT even notice it anymore - just feels normal! I haven't tried to "grind footpegs" yet, so we'll see.

(AND, FWIW, I just picked up a second set of Tourances for my '09 in BC, for next tire change... or SOONER...!)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 AM

just put my dirt combo on for some Fall riding...Tourance up front and Shinko out back. The previous owner had them mounted when he used it out east, but had the streets on when I picked up the bike last year. I knew there would be a big difference in terms of steering, but after riding with PR2's for over a year that turn in effortlessly, these things are downright spooky. Yes, I will get used to them and they will take me to some pretty amazing backcountry destinations around here, but unfortunately you can't exactly grind the pegs right away like you could with the Michelins...it's all about compromise with the little green monster if you don't have the luxury of owning two bikes...

pics to come of "Lucy" getting dirty in the mountains of B.C....

Last edited by SUREFIRE; 09-02-2012 at 07:55 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

My experience is that within a couple of hours you won't even notice the difference in steering "feel". But remember your initial feeling if you feel like 'trading' bikes with a friend on a ride....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:51 PM

TOURANCE 130/80 front

I put the big tars on my V and took her to Mexico. Handling seemed fine to me?
It will make your seat height higher and that was not a good thing for me.
I have since gone back to stock sizes but I will have to put the tourances back on to get the wear out of them. That big tire on the front will last many a mile.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 PM

that stuff is evil for sure...I'm heading up towards the Lillooet/Bralorne area this week, not sure if I'm going to make Bella Coola this year, but it's on the list, I've wanted to check out Chilko Lake for a long time as well...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
that's a pretty good tire combo for BC rides, as long as you stay out of the mud.

Tourances on "the Hill", out of Bella Coola.

hadn't rained, that's calcium chloride from the truck ahead of me, always fun.
Hey Dave - I'm thinking that "Dust2Dawson" next June might be fun, with side trips to Inuvik (weather permitting!!!), Telegraph Creek and Bella Coola, plus...?

Think you might be "up" for that? (Here's a chance to sample some of MY aged bourbon....)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
was there in 07, 09, and 11, so 13 might be the year.

in Canuckistan, isn't aged bourbon the bottle that comes home from the store and gathers dust for say, about two days?
Can't say FOR SURE - but my "aged bourbon" is imported, at GREAT expen$e, from AZ, just as the temps are starting their rise, with BC's following suit.

ONLY dust it gets is when I start pestering the martinis and forget the bourbon's there!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM

I just made this decision as well... got 130/80/17 and 150/70/17

I will made sure to let you know how it goes!

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode