D@$%#@ I went down today!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

[email protected]$%#@ I went down today!!!

Made a huge rookie move, didn't realize how fast I was going as I approached a turn, I was slowing down but had down shifted one too many gears and when I released my clutch the rear kicked out and down I went. I am guessing the combo of new tires and rain were too much. I picked the bike up and got out of the way of traffic in a hurry before something worse happened. I checked the bike over and everything looked ok. I soon realized I had no rear brakes, and the right side of my handle bar is bent. The impact forced my hand guards up along with my brake lever assembly. I slowly limped home. I looked the bike over when I got home the right top cowling and the silver cowling below it have some damage, along with both right foot pegs, the very front bottom of the right fork where the axle bolt is, and the rear brake lever was bent in. I also found the rear brake line had come loose from the impact and that is why I lost my rear brakes. I bled the rear brakes, adjusted the brake lever and hand guard. I took a test drive on the bike and now I have a few questions before I decide to call the insurance company. I think the damage is all cosmetic with the exception of the obvious need for a new handle bar.

1. When I was testing the rear brake, I was getting on it kind of hard to make sure it was going to hold, as I was coming to a stop it felt like the front sproket was jumping the chain or still trying to turn the rear wheel. ( clutch was in). Is this normal? I did not notice this when using both front and rear brake during the test ride, and I got on both of them pretty hard as well.

2. There seems to be a gap at the rear of the handle bar clamp. (see photo below) Is this normal, I had never noticed this before and you know how when you start looking for something wrong you start finding things you never noticed before.

3. I straightened the rear brake lever but now I am not sure if i went too far, can someone post a pic of their rear break lever so I can compare. I think I am going to get a new one anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-20_17-25-50_333.jpg (31.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-20_17-25-57_647.jpg (32.4 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-20_18-01-47_382.jpg (39.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-20_18-27-56_697.jpg (35.7 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by jagrugger; 06-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 PM

Yeah the gap on the bar clamp is normal, i had it on mine too.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Garage
Hope these help..

IMG_0768 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0758 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0760 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Will the insurance pay anything without a police report?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebyrds View Post
Will the insurance pay anything without a police report?
I don't know, but I didn't worry about it since I was the only one involved. If they don't my deductible is $500 and I am not sure it would be worth it to file a claim anyway. As far as I can tell so far the damage is mostly cosmetic.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Hope these help..

IMG_0768 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0758 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0760 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Yes it does! Thanks! I straightened the front grip part.... I think I should have bent the rear part. I think it straightened on impact.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM
MTS

Hope you get things straighted out and glad you never got hurt!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Glad you didn't mention any body parts bent or broke! Glad you walked away from this one!!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

As far as I can tell I will have some bruising on my right leg. My calf and upper thigh and hip are a little sore. My right arm and shoulder are a little sore as well. Luckily somehow I didn't hit my head. When I got home I looked my helmet over and there is not a scratch on it.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 PM

Garage
I got these... http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7629760977302/

After this....

IMG_0738 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Glad your are Ok.

with your repair work.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It is weird, those fairings don't have a scratch on them. Only the very forward lower corner of the fork has some road rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Glad your are Ok.

with your repair work.
I started as soon as I got some dry clothes on and made sure I wasn't seriously hurt. I sure feel bad for Scarlett (my V)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 PM

The gap in the handlebar needs to be there, if there wasn't a gap on each side the bars would be loose.........and you'd be goin' down all the time.

So glad you're safe and well...... except for the ego of course

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM

You can loosen your handlebar clamp's rear bolts and tighten the front bolts in to have the same gap in front and behind, as it should be.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM

Well . . .

glad you are ok. Hope you get things fixed up.

Cheers!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Glad you are OK, that is the crucial thing. Motorcycle parts can be repaired or replaced a lot easier than jagrugger parts!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

So does anyone have any ideas on #1 in the OP above?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM

How do you know the front sprocket is trying to skip teeth? sound? feeling?

When I lock up the rear wheel it will clunk, not exactly sure why. I assume something is loading up under breaking and then when the rear tire stops spinning all of that load is removed and then when the wheel spins again, that something is loaded again. Maybe I'm thinking to far into it...

-Kyle
'12 Super Tenere
'08 Versys
'07 KTM EXC 450

-not making them right now, sorry
Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
GDI

How many miles on the chain?

Worn chains can get pretty noisy. Back when I started riding I had an ol' Suzuki 550 that had a badly stretched chain. Eventually it got so bad that it could no longer be adjusted correctly. It had a tight spot, and a loose spot. The chain/sprocket makes a grinding noise as the stretched chain rides up on the teeth of the sprocket.

If your bike/chain is new, this is probably not your problem however. . . .

Have you had it up on the stands, and rotated the rear wheel? A visual inspection might be a .

GDI
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Glad you're OK!
I'm thinking No on the insurance claim. Do the math on replacing everything, but also think about what you could straighten, live with, or customize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in