Soft Luggage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Soft Luggage

Hey there, so well, I have a question about soft luggage. I searched the forum and found some on this but not the answers I am looking for. What I would like to know is what this best soft luggage for the money. I know alot of you have the Givi soft side bags, and they appear to be nice, but I would like to know if they work the best. Also, and probably more importantly, do you need some sort of rack to strap them too and if so, is there some universal rack that mounts right on the versys? I am new to the Versys as I just bought a 2012 two weeks ago. Thanks in advance for any input on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Garage
I have a set of Fieldsheer bags i like but they no longer make them. But the best looking bags i've seen on the V and they seem to sit on the bike like they have a support are the Nelson-Riggs bags

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Check out Revpack luggage. They've been around for about 40 years, and I've been using them for 30 years without any problems at all. revpack.com

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM

I may be slightly biased because I sell them, but Chase Harper makes nice soft luggage. Made in the USA and Lifetime Warranty.

When I needed a tail bag to carry my stuff on my daily commute to work, I chose the CH Sport Trek bag and it's worked out really well. With the built in bungees, I can easily use it on my Versys or my Sportster. Definately well made gear.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I like the looks of the Nelson Riggs side bags but what do I use for a side rack or bracket to secure them with?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by layduke15 View Post
I like the looks of the Nelson Riggs side bags but what do I use for a side rack or bracket to secure them with?

Don't need one..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 PM

I've had the Nelson Rigs for 4 years has have received great service from them. My only beef is the black has faded to gray.

To God be the glory.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Hey there, so well, I have a question about soft luggage. I searched the forum and found some on this but not the answers I am looking for. What I would like to know is what this best soft luggage for the money.

. Also, and probably more importantly, do you need some sort of rack to strap them too .
The best for me is the Giant Loop Great Basin model. The Great Basin is the largest model but they make a couple of smaller, similar styles, depending on what you use them for.

Made in Bend, Or, mine shipped immediately and had it in my hands in 48 hrs.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...ear-collection

Very well made and hold a bunch of stuff, best of all no racks required, set them on the seat and they strap very securely to existing hardware.

Of course you don't have to fill them up, I often just carry a few essentials in the pannier portions and fold the top flat. Quick and easy on and off, very happy with the GL if you can't tell

There are a bunch of pics of mine in these threads:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15297

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16454

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rock Solid, very nice looking and functional bag. I may look into to one of those at some point. I went ahead and ordered a cheaper Nelson Rigg set for the time being. Just need to have something to store small stuff on daily commutes and rides. I noticed you have a few mods. I am brand new to the Versys so curious what you would consider essential mods. Thanks and great pics. I love the high cascades, beautiful country.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
I've had the Nelson Rigs for 4 years has have received great service from them. My only beef is the black has faded to gray.
so have I
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rock Solid, very nice looking and functional bag. I may look into to one of those at some point. I went ahead and ordered a cheaper Nelson Rigg set for the time being. Just need to have something to store small stuff on daily commutes and rides. I noticed you have a few mods. I am brand new to the Versys so curious what you would consider essential mods. Thanks and great pics. I love the high cascades, beautiful country.
Most welcome for the suggestions and thanks for the compliment.

I guess essential mods depends on whether you plan on sticking to pavement or plan on riding unpaved roads, too.

For me, for street only, making the seat comfortable is about it. I have been altering the foam in motorsickle seats for a while now and got the Versys seat to a very happy place (also did the front lift suggested by many here).
I also feel adding extra rear lights is a good thing. All my bikes get Hyperlite 3 way LEDs.
http://www.hyperlites.com/

If you're going to do a little gravel road exploring, it's probably a good idea to add handguards and crash bars. Mine has been on its side 3 times and I've gotten away with zero damage each time (very low speed drops, all).

Figure out how to carry your crap and run the wheels off it
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Jags View Post
I may be slightly biased because I sell them, but Chase Harper makes nice soft luggage. Made in the USA and Lifetime Warranty.

When I needed a tail bag to carry my stuff on my daily commute to work, I chose the CH Sport Trek bag and it's worked out really well. With the built in bungees, I can easily use it on my Versys or my Sportster. Definately well made gear.
Wouldn't trade my Chase Harpers for anything.

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode