Givi E21 side case owners - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Givi E21 side case owners

Well, since Twisted Throttle was out of the E45NJ's, I switched my order to E21's. I kept going back and forth on these guys anyway: size vs. top loading; physical size vs. physical size, and the like.

So I was wondering if I could hear from the E21 owners and what they're experiencing with these bags. Likes? Dislikes? Things to look out for, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

One major advantage I've already received is the difference in cost up front. Not only are they cheaper to purchase, but since the size of the E45NJ's requires oversized, individual shipment, the cost of shipping would have been $80.00. The E21's can be shipped in a single, smaller container, and the cost is about $18.00. So, my cost savings is over $170.00 right up front.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Ive had my e21s for a little less than a year now and havent really had any complaints, i can fit everything i need inside them when i go to work. Raingear, dress shoes, lunchbox, extra visor for my helmet, etc. They only leaked once and that was after leaving the bike outside overnight during a really bad storm and even so it was just a tiny bit of water. They look good on the bike and arent too big or too small. Great bags IMO.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Garage
Put my E21s on a month ago. I commute almost daily and they hold my lunch, clothes etc, no problems. They look very nice on the Versys. They keep the rear profile narrow. I did a 6 day ride down South, used a 35L dry bag on the pillion, with the E21s for things I wanted to keep more secure. Hit rain 3 days in a row, with no leaks. And, top loading is awesome.

I'm considering a coat of white Krylon on the inside bottom to "see" inside better at night. But, no complaints.

Dollar for dollar, I don't think you can beat 'em because they are such a good value.

I also dropped the bike at a stand still in a gravel lot. Got a scuff on the bottom corner left side case, but nothing else. Held up great on a heavy fall.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 06-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM

I am really happy with mine too. I really like the top loading, and for me they hold plenty, exrea gloves, a few tools, a few groceries, etcI think they look good and the narrowness is great for in and through traffic.
I had the side openers on my V-Strom and didn't like them at all.
I would buy them again in an instant.
The price is really good too if that is an issue.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

I've seen a few pictures, and yes, they look very good on a Versys. The total price differential made quite a difference to me. I am indeed wondering if my whole setup (E21's, E360 top case) will hold everything I need for an overnighter, but that's because I usually take camping gear as well. Even if they don't, having lockable, hard saddlebags will help a lot.

I'm also in agreement about having top loading bags. I think that should go a long way toward compensating for the difference in size. Of course, the advantage of having the rack mounts is I can go to any sized bag I want, if the E21's turn out to be too small, in just a few seconds.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM

What everyone has already said above: for top-loading, inexpensive, watertight and they look like they fit the bike (not too big and bulky).

The only time I would advise against them is if you were traveling two-up. Then they might not provide enough storage. But for one-up tours, with camping gear on the pillion, I have no problems, as shown above.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Gratuitous additional photo:

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Garage
I installed my cases about 5 months ago and love it. Its enough to put in my rain coat and notebook and shoes and so on. And they are very durable.
Its quite water resistant to a certain extent. And it so small, it can easily go through traffic and such without any issues of side mirrors and so on.

I once even brought a car battery in it to shop to exchange \ purchase a new car battery. It can handle such loads.

No regrets getting these boxes. woo hooo.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM

I love them. I have not rode a day without them since installing a month or so ago.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM

I like the E21s, I think they're a great value, and they look good on the bike, but I haven't found much use for mine yet.

I have bigger cases for camping & touring. And I strap a bag to my seat for commuting, going to the gym, etc.

The E21s themselves are narrow. But on the SW Motech racks on my 2011 Versys they're not narrow profile: they're a little wider than the bars.

FWIW other Givi cases I've had were fully waterproof in the rain. From other posts here I gather the E21s aren't.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Original Kawa bags GIVI.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I like the E21s, I think they're a great value, and they look good on the bike, but I haven't found much use for mine yet.

I have bigger cases for camping & touring. And I strap a bag to my seat for commuting, going to the gym, etc.

The E21s themselves are narrow. But on the SW Motech racks on my 2011 Versys they're not narrow profile: they're a little wider than the bars.

FWIW other Givi cases I've had were fully waterproof in the rain. From other posts here I gather the E21s aren't.
That's good feedback. However, I wouldn't plan on packing my camping gear in them. Part of my setup has included soft saddlebags, which were about 30% smaller, and I'd pack these with the same stuff I had in the others. I also have a top rack with an E360 (40 liter) top case. My calculated packing needs, for camping, add up to about 8,000 cu. inches, or about 131 litres. One decent sized bag will provide the balance I'd need for that. Without camping, about 5,000 cu. inches will do. The E21's, combined with the top case will accomplish that.

Thanks for the clarification on the profile. As far the water proof issues go, it seems that some say they are, and some they only are up to a point. But since I pack everything with inner bags anyway, I shouldn't have a problem. But I'll be looking for it.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post

What everyone has already said above: for top-loading, inexpensive, watertight and they look like they fit the bike (not too big and bulky).

The only time I would advise against them is if you were traveling two-up. Then they might not provide enough storage. But for one-up tours, with camping gear on the pillion, I have no problems, as shown above.
Very nice. Tell me about your setup. What do you pack in the E21's, and what do you pack up on top?

I'll only be touring solo this season, most likely. If my wife comes with me, it'll only be for hotels, and not to camp, so I think I'll be OK.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xootrx View Post
I also have a top rack with an E360 (40 liter) top case.
Those are what I use on the side. One will hold my sleeping bag, thermarest, bivy bag and camp pillow.

When I've had those + a V46 on my bike I liked having enough extra room to lock my gear away while doing off the bike activities.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 AM

I've read complaints that the E21s are hard to remove. Yes and no. They may be reluctant to come off just from pushing the button, but removal is easy if you open the lid and push the exposed mechanism.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xootrx View Post
Very nice. Tell me about your setup. What do you pack in the E21's, and what do you pack up on top?
I'm a notoriously light packer, which is one reason I can get by with the E21s. I put clothes, camera, tire repair kit, and extra gear for changeable weather in the bags, and then I put the rolled up tent, sleeping bag and pad on the seat, strapped together in one solid bundle and attached with a bungee net and a stronger bungee cord for reinforcement.

Add a top box like you have and I'd probably lose all packing discipline and take all manner of "luxury" items.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Ive been using E21s since I got the V about 5 months ago. Im happy with them and would get them again. I did have an issue with them not wanting to release using the button but I worked that out by adjusting the mounting tabs slightly and, more importantly, adjusting the way I remove them. A slight push downward on the bag when holding the button did the trick, with that, they remove nicely like they are designed to do that. They feel a bit thin and cheap but they are cheaper than anything else, which is one of their strong points. I use mine for commuting and day trips, I havent done any touring yet. For commuting the E21s are working out fantastic with just enough room for lunch, some work papers, rain gear, sometimes a tie and jacket or extra shoes or whatever else I may need that day. Mine have not leaked a drop but Ive only been caught in a strong blowing rain once and a few easy rains. In my opinion the top loading feature is priceless for a commuter bike and was a major consideration when I purchased these. For touring the E21s would not be the right choice for me but for commuting, they are absolutely the right choice (for me).
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
I'm a notoriously light packer, which is one reason I can get by with the E21s. I put clothes, camera, tire repair kit, and extra gear for changeable weather in the bags, and then I put the rolled up tent, sleeping bag and pad on the seat, strapped together in one solid bundle and attached with a bungee net and a stronger bungee cord for reinforcement.

Add a top box like you have and I'd probably lose all packing discipline and take all manner of "luxury" items.
Looks like you got me pegged pretty well. I'm a disorganized person in perpetual search of organization. I've made a lot of progress in lightening my load, but the quest goes on. I am in no way a light packer, but I'm working at it. For the time being, everything not camping related will fit in the hard case setup, and the camping gear will go in a Revpack Medium Gearbag.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM

Got about 5000 miles on mine, mostly back and forth to work or trips to the store for small items. Work great, love the top-load. Only issue I've had is if I don't get the lids secured right, I'll get a few miles up the road and find the lid has blown open... but I've never lost anything. I try to make a habit of double-checking they are secure before I drive off now.

I'd buy them again.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode