Hate my Givi screen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Hate my Givi screen

I just don't get it. Most seem to love the Givi. Everyone from mid 5' to lower 6'. I am 5' 11" with a seat concepts seat and motowerks bar risers and all three positions cause such buffeting that I get a headache in less than ten minutes and it blurs my vision. The worst part is I have a 5,000 mile ride coming up in less than one month and right now I am looking at using the stock screen which I am not in love with. Will a madstad bracket help me or do I need to look for another solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM

I don't know if Givi makes more than one model, but I've had one for a couple years, and the Madstad let me find an angle I could live with. I'm 5'11'' with a 32 inseam so I sit kinda tall and had a difficult time with buffeting.

The Madstad is a little "flimsy' on the Versys (at least the one I bought back in early 2009, but has held up well.

I run the Givi in the winter when I want more air protection, and the stock during the summer when I need more ventilation.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks abramsgunner. Has anyone close to my height ridden long dstances with the stock screen?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 AM

I use a madstad adjustable bracket with my Givi. Makes a big difference. I've also added a laminar lip. No problems.

Notice the new V1000 has an adjustable windshield bracket. Kawasaki reads the forum. That adjustability should be stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
I just don't get it. Most seem to love the Givi. Everyone from mid 5' to lower 6'. I am 5' 11" with a seat concepts seat and motowerks bar risers and all three positions cause such buffeting that I get a headache in less than ten minutes and it blurs my vision. The worst part is I have a 5,000 mile ride coming up in less than one month and right now I am looking at using the stock screen which I am not in love with. Will a madstad bracket help me or do I need to look for another solution?
I have the Givi 405 on my 09 Versys and, like you, I get a lot of buffeting from all 3 positions.....so much so that I was planning to go back to the stock screen for the summer. I tried that but went right back to the Givi because I liked it so much better, even with the buffeting. It's frustrating because I can raise myself just a bit up off the seat and my helmet's in clean air, but not when I'm in my riding position.
Adjustable brackets aren't an option for me because I have my GPS mounted on a Speedy's plate, which I don't think will work with the adjustable brackets. I do regular 300 mile+ days and I deal with it by always wearing earplugs, which I think are a good idea anyway.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
I have the Givi 405 on my 09 Versys and, like you, I get a lot of buffeting from all 3 positions.....so much so that I was planning to go back to the stock screen for the summer. I tried that but went right back to the Givi because I liked it so much better, even with the buffeting. It's frustrating because I can raise myself just a bit up off the seat and my helmet's in clean air, but not when I'm in my riding position.
Adjustable brackets aren't an option for me because I have my GPS mounted on a Speedy's plate, which I don't think will work with the adjustable brackets. I do regular 300 mile+ days and I deal with it by always wearing earplugs, which I think are a good idea anyway.
That sounds like it would be a great question for everyone that changes screens.

Are most trying to find some way that their helmet isn't in the wind?

I only ask because well, I always wear ear plugs, and have never had a problem with the stock screens on any bike I've owned...

Sounds like maybe a good idea for a survey.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Just for comparison... I'm 5'8" on a 2011 V using the stock windscreen in the stock position and I've done a few 400+ days and a 600+ day plus many, many shorter trips and I've found nothing that I would label as uncomfortable.
I wear an Arai XD3.
I also use foam earplugs... which make a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE for me... not in the buffeting arena... just overall riding comfort.
I can relate to what you're experiencing though. A couple of weeks ago I traded bikes with a friend for a quick ride... so he could see what a dream of a bike I had. His was an KLR650 and the short 25 mile trip nearly shook my head off my shoulders... It was his stock KLR windscreen. He thought that he'd died and gone to heaven after riding my V.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
If you have an 09 heres what worked for me. 1.An Givi/Stock set-up. 2. A Parabellum Tall. #2 worked the best for keeping the wind at bay. I liked the looks of #1 the best and sold #2 and now wish i would have kept it for rougher days to be able to switch out between the two. BTW I'm 6'2"

#1 ....
IMG_0518 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#2 ....
IMG_0975 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM

This is an interesting thread, there's so many aspects to think about.

As genehil points out, going from a V to an KLR was a huge diff. and he's 5'8" and wears ear plugs.

From what I've read, re sport bikes, you want the wind from the shield to hit you in the chest. The reason is that it helps to keep your upper body up and not have all your weight on your wrists (yes, Master Yoda position involved here), but it's suppose to help with that, if u know what I mean.

So I've always thought shorter people might need to change their screens because the wind blast would be around their shoulders or even their helmets?

But that doesn't seem to be the case. Just have to wonder... are those of you experiencing buffeting, is it happening all the time? or maybe just when you pass some very large vehicle (18 wheeler)? Is it the wind noise that's getting to you?

On the FJR forum (use to own one), some guys have talked about removing the windshield and going for a ride (temporary thing, just to see how it feels) and have been shocked by what an improvement it was!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM

I've got a Givi on my 2010, and tried out a few different positions for it. Then, I pulled it off try out the stock screen, and I think I'll leave it that way for the rest of the summer. But, moving the Givi around in the few positions available on the 2010 made very noticible differences in wind patters, and for me (about 6') the best one seemed to be the most flat/lowest position. At 80 with the little screen, I do need to scoot my butt back on the seat as far as I can and lean forward a bit more to let most of the wind blast pass over me.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks abramsgunner. Has anyone close to my height ridden long dstances with the stock screen?
I've done quite a few 500+ mile days, though I also have a modded Yamaha Majesty 'shield that I put on when it's colder, or I'm expecting rain. I too am about your height and inseam.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
MTS

Givi makes alot of screens? What year bike and which screen?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM

Just purchased the givi windshield for my 2011 versys. As long as it keeps me a little dryer (live near seattle) than the stock one, I will be pleased.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendog View Post
Just purchased the givi windshield for my 2011 versys. As long as it keeps me a little dryer (live near seattle) than the stock one, I will be pleased.
Medium or Tall? I have the medium and love it!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Seems windscreens are like women, so many to choose from and most have issues. (Gawd I hope my wife never reads this forum she is realy quite nice).

I too am about your size and a Laminar Lip attached to a stock shield has worked for me for about 40,000 miles.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 PM

I have an '08 V, and Givi screen. I'm 5'9", 31" inseam. I know what what your talking about on the buffeting/noise - I've had the best results with the Givi tilted back by adding rubber washers under the lower shield mounting bolts AND adding steel washers under the front bolts of the mounting brackets, to tilt it back even more. (Earplugs help too.)

I tried the Laminar Lip on the Givi, with mixed results. I was distracted by my eyes being drawn to the Lip attachment disks. I might try the Lip on the stock screen and my VStream shield when I get time, and try it in a lower position on the Givi.

I've found that if I open the visor on my HJC full face helmet, and slouch slightly, all the noise and buffeting stops! But then I don't have eye protection or comfortable posture at that point. The noise seems to be coming from the top of the face shield/helmet interface. I might try adding a small lightweight deflector at the top of my faceshield.

Another thing that helps me on long trips/superslab/with little traffic is to hook my heels on the passenger pegs, lean forward, and rest my left hand on the dashboard. All the wind is then deflected completely over my helmet.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, my bike is an 09 and my screen is the 405. As for the question regarding noise or buffettiing, it is not noise. The stock screen is noisy but there is zero buffeting. The givi is like a light, soft hammer hitting me in the head hundreds of times per second. Thus the blurred vision I spoke of. I may have to go with the stock screen and get some good ear plugs. My concern is I like lto listen to music with my Scala G4. Does anyone do this with ear plugs and, if so, what were the results?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Realize you probably don't want to hear about different windscreens, but maybe you should unload the Givi. Somebody else on the forum will grab it up.

I'm 6'2" with 33" inseam. I have a Seat Concepts seat, and tall bars. I can comfortably sit upright if I wish to cruise. I have the National Cycle Vstream in the lowest position and have zero buffeting and it doesn't flex or distort a bit.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
My concern is I like lto listen to music with my Scala G4. Does anyone do this with ear plugs and, if so, what were the results?
I have a Sena SMH-10 and I wear foam earplugs. No luck listening to music for me. I can hear it but can't get it loud enough at highway speeds to make it enjoyable...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry, my bike is an 09 and my screen is the 405. As for the question regarding noise or buffettiing, it is not noise. The stock screen is noisy but there is zero buffeting. The givi is like a light, soft hammer hitting me in the head hundreds of times per second. Thus the blurred vision I spoke of. I may have to go with the stock screen and get some good ear plugs. My concern is I like lto listen to music with my Scala G4. Does anyone do this with ear plugs and, if so, what were the results?
Must admit, the twists and turns that some threads take! No offense intended! this is sometimes the way we learn, but it can be a very round a bout way

So... there's really nothing wrong with the stock shield, if you wear ear plugs? Let's assume that's correct, as it appears to be what's been said...

first, you should always be wearing ear plugs! Yes, you really should. A full face helmet will always produce enough wind noise that over time, you'll lose your hearing. For those that don't know, when you lose your hearing, it doesn't "come back later". When it's gone, it's gone.

secone, yes, it's a problem (dilemma) that's faced motorcyclists all along... How to hear music (etc) while still having ear protection? Not a new question! there are many many threads on the subject in probably every motorcycle forum that exists! the answer isn't a different windscreen

I've found the best results for me are the S-PLUG. They have both superior noise reduction capability (as good as my 32 db Hear-o's) even with the music off! These plugs are made to actually go completely in your ear, and the way you pull them out is by the wire. Yes the wire is that strong and it's intended to work that way. They won't hang up on the lining of helmet when putting the helmet on and off.

But... you'll get a million answers on what in-ear speakers are best, which ever anyone is using currently But that's a far cry from spending hundreds and hundreds on many many many different shields when the stock would do and all you need are in-ear speakers that work for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode