New owner, two weeks later..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

New owner, two weeks later.....

I gotta say, I really like this bike. I'm coming from a 2008 Suzuki GSX650F, and there is a huge difference. Some good...some not so good.
Things I like--

-- The riding position is WAY better for me. I like being upright, and seeing over all the traffic is awesome.
--The bike feels so much lighter. Flickable. I like it
-- Better fuel economy
--better passenger comfort
--Ordered a seat concepts seat, and it makes the riding position even better!
--I love the looks of the bike. Definitely more my style. I get tons of compliments on her( black and yellow)
-- Versatility. Goes without saying

Things I don't like-or am having a hard time getting used to---

--Seems like a very rough ride. I wasn't expecting this at all, and never heard anyone complain about it. My 650F was a smoooth as butter inline 4. That thing was smooth man oh man. No vibrations at all. It's hard to explain, but everything felt so digital, if that makes any sense.
The V feels to me what a thumper must feel like. I feel like I'm riding with a lawnmower engine in there!!! It doesn't feel like a fuel injected bike to me..... would an aftermarket exhaust help??
--The windscreen not only doesn't offer any wind protection, but it makes the buffeting unbearable! The noise is brutal. I've got a GIVI on the way, so hopefully that helps.

That's it really...... Overall I think the bike is great...and I hope that I just need to adapt to my complaints. Do all parrallel twins feel like this?
I've got set of barkbuster storms coming, plus the winscreeen...and eventually I'll want to get an engine guard, and some knobbies and do some ADV riding
Cheers
BigO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 AM

I bought a new close out 2011 about a month ago. I agree with all of your review. I also have the Givi windshield & Kawasaki hand gaurds on my wish list. I install a Yoshmura TRS slip on exhaust can & it helped alot with the buzzzing vibration.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM

It's a tweaky two cylinder... that you have to keep on the power band to make her (and you) happy... Lots of shifting up and down in urban traffic...
My other bike is a Honda ST1100 - V4 - that you hardly ever have to up or down shift once I get her on the move... and she's smooth as silk.
I guess it's all in the dynamics of the different type of engines.
I have to admit though... I haven't put 50 miles on my ST1100 since November when I picked up my Versys.
The 225lb difference is heaven for me.
I washed and waxed my ST1100 back in February... put her in the garage... hooked up her battery tender and put her cover on.
Guess I'm going to sell her off sooner or later.

As for the stock windscreen - I don't have any problems with it. I do use foam earplugs which helps a lot with the noise... but I don't find the stocker very brutal at all... I have done many 400+ mile days as well as a couple of 600+ days and sort of like being out there in the wind.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Grow into it and you will love it.

Twin parallel is the worst Engine configuration and the vibe come along with it.

And I still love my Versys...Best bike of the Year

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM

I came from a VFR800 and I have to say there V is great, but the vibs, shoddy brakes and overall build quality kinda nag at me a little. I will be keeping this bike for my regular 2 years, but I definitely think I will be going back to Honda when my stint with the V is over.

Don't get me wrong, simple mods like aluminum handle bars, better grips, stainless lines etc. make the bike a tonne of fun, but my old interceptor just felt purrfect right out of the box.

Now if only Honda would bring the 1200 Crosstourer to North American soil... mmmmm:

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 AM

It's pretty clear that everyone has different opinions about all these things. I have an inline 4 bike also, and it is super smooth. Yes, the Versys and the parallel twins are more buzzy, but some people like that buzz. It lets you feel that the bike underneath you doing its thing. My guess is that you'll get used to the buzziness. It's not that bad, and yes it's worse at some RPMs than others. I was concerned about the buzz before I purchased the bike, but honestly, now I don't even think about it.

I'm skeptical of an exhaust changing how buzzy the bike is. My understanding is that the vibrations of parallel twins come from the way the pistons move relative to each other.

Hopefully after some more time in the saddle you'll get used to some of those little annoyances...it is a super fun bike!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Givi + laminar lip+ madstad adjustable bracket. Best buffeting combo I've found and use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
GDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
My other bike is a Honda ST1100 - V4 - that you hardly ever have to up or down shift once I get her on the move... and she's smooth as silk.
I guess it's all in the dynamics of the different type of engines.
I have to admit though... I haven't put 50 miles on my ST1100 since November when I picked up my Versys.
The 225lb difference is heaven for me.
I washed and waxed my ST1100 back in February... put her in the garage... hooked up her battery tender and put her cover on.
Guess I'm going to sell her off sooner or later.
Hey, you and me both!

I've had mine for 5 years and 33,000+ miles. I have problems with my right knee when I'm riding the ST, and the weight isn't much fun either. I added fuel stabilizer to mine and it's sitting there waiting for me to wash it up and list it for sale too! That V4 motor is something else though isn't it? Too bad it's so heavy.

My problem is that my wife doesn't think that she likes riding on the V. We did put maybe 40 miles on yesterday--which is really her first ride on it. She doesn't want me to sell the ST. I'd rather have a cruiser for two-up if it comes to that. The thing is she'll only ride with me 2-3 times a year at most, so it's not really worth keeping a separate bike just for that.

To the OP, if you think the V is a rough p-twin, try an old Yamaha XS650! Those bikes are real paint shakers! So, I think there are other bikes that are a lot worse. The vibes on the V really aren't an issue for me.

GDI
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM

I installed the givi windshield. Its more effective than the stock, but I don't find a huge difference. I haven't tried anything other than the stock location, however. I also find the vibrations a bit much especially around 5000-5500 which a typical highway cruising speed for me. It puts my hands to sleep pretty quickly which isn't so good.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:42 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Guys, the versys is sewing machine smooth compared to a big thumper like the Klr. I came from a fully kitted Klr and the versys is like an finely tuned athlete compared to a guy who does not do any exercising...being Klr. I wish I could have kept the Klr and still bought the versys. But had to liquidate one bike. Kept my crf plated woods bike, my arctic cat 500 atv and got a versys. After my summer holiday in two weeks, I will be adventurizing my versys. Armor, cases, seat concepts seat, nav, and another set of wheels with metzler et60s. Then mounting a set of angels for street. Just an easy swap for the terrain I'm riding then.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Guys, the versys is sewing machine smooth compared to a big thumper like the Klr. I came from a fully kitted Klr and the versys is like an finely tuned athlete compared to a guy who does not do any exercising...being Klr. I wish I could have kept the Klr and still bought the versys. But had to liquidate one bike. Kept my crf plated woods bike, my arctic cat 500 atv and got a versys. After my summer holiday in two weeks, I will be adventurizing my versys. Armor, cases, seat concepts seat, nav, and another set of wheels with metzler et60s. Then mounting a set of angels for street. Just an easy swap for the terrain I'm riding then.
I'm starting to get used to the engine now...... as I start to forget what my inline 4 felt like.
The more I use the V, the more I'm starting to love it. I just had to get used to her. I've been riding with the windscreen off...and it makes for a smooth air ride! When I get my GIVI, I'll use it for longer trips. I'll be adventurizing mine as well...I have the Seat Concepts seat already I've ordered the SW mototech risers to go with it though.
Cheers
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
I gotta say, I really like this bike. I'm coming from a 2008 Suzuki GSX650F, and there is a huge difference. Some good...some not so good.
Things I like--

-- The riding position is WAY better for me. I like being upright, and seeing over all the traffic is awesome.
--The bike feels so much lighter. Flickable. I like it
-- Better fuel economy
--better passenger comfort
--Ordered a seat concepts seat, and it makes the riding position even better!
--I love the looks of the bike. Definitely more my style. I get tons of compliments on her( black and yellow)
-- Versatility. Goes without saying

Things I don't like-or am having a hard time getting used to---

--Seems like a very rough ride. I wasn't expecting this at all, and never heard anyone complain about it. My 650F was a smoooth as butter inline 4. That thing was smooth man oh man. No vibrations at all. It's hard to explain, but everything felt so digital, if that makes any sense.
The V feels to me what a thumper must feel like. I feel like I'm riding with a lawnmower engine in there!!! It doesn't feel like a fuel injected bike to me..... would an aftermarket exhaust help??
--The windscreen not only doesn't offer any wind protection, but it makes the buffeting unbearable! The noise is brutal. I've got a GIVI on the way, so hopefully that helps.

That's it really...... Overall I think the bike is great...and I hope that I just need to adapt to my complaints. Do all parrallel twins feel like this?
I've got set of barkbuster storms coming, plus the winscreeen...and eventually I'll want to get an engine guard, and some knobbies and do some ADV riding
Cheers
BigO
You mention that "the noise if brutal". Are you wearing ear plugs? If not then start. I found that 90% of wind issues went away when I started wearing ear plugs.

Brian
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

YES! I always wear them.....even in town. That winscreen is unlike any I've ever experienced. Lately I just take it off all together. I find the newer Versys look damn good without the screen anyway. Almost like a naked bike.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:31 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Well, just so that anyone reading the thread gets a well rounded opinion... I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the oem screen?

Maybe it's a height (or rider) thing? I'm 5'8" and hell, I wouldn't even know the windscreen was there if I didn't look at it occasionally? I've cruised at about 80 on the freeway, not for extensive distances though, still no issue with it.

it's a bit bewildering sometimes why we have such vastly diff experiences...
I think there is a wide variety of riding positions that people use that makes a difference with turbulence.

To keep my back from aching I keep it straight and lean forward with my elbows at 90º angle. That puts my head closer to the screen than someone leaning back more. I don't have too many issues with buffeting with the stock screen or the GIVI on an '09 V. That is alone on the highway and not following a big truck or anything.

Brian
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Here's what ya do...go buy a KLR! After about a week on that beast get back on the Versys and you'll think you've hit the jack pot!

I have the Givi and yes it takes away a lot of the nastiness. I still learning how to use the motor to the best. It's not all that bad and I find the the vibs are taming down a bit with a few miles on her.

Now the looks are still up in the air to me. And that's from a KLR pilot and former Buell Owner.

I do know that tires that came on it are junk.

As to the ride try slacking off on the preload a bit and check the tire pressure, mine was about 10 PSI high and lowering it and after lower the pressure and tweaking the preloaders the rides better if not great. The trick it to balance ride with handling BUT I'm getting there.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Guys, the versys is sewing machine smooth compared to a big thumper like the Klr.
I'll second that.
The Versys is smooth compared to my XR 650 thumper.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Well, just so that anyone reading the thread gets a well rounded opinion... I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the oem screen.

Maybe it's a height (or rider) thing? I'm 5'8" and hell, I wouldn't even know the windscreen was there if I didn't look at it occasionally?
I too am 5'8" and I concur...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Here's what ya do...go buy a KLR! After about a week on that beast get back on the Versys and you'll think you've hit the jack pot!

I have the Givi and yes it takes away a lot of the nastiness. I still learning how to use the motor to the best. It's not all that bad and I find the the vibs are taming down a bit with a few miles on her.

I agree....... either I'm just getting used to it, or they are calming down a bit?? Oh well....works for me!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Here's my girl....

Here she is...with the windscreen off. Perfect for in town riding. Actually I had it out on the highway today, and I was going up to 70mph or so....and I was shocked that the wind was so clean......no helmet buffeting, just hard air agains the chest.
I'm really hoping that my Givi screen takes away the buffeting and noise!!
PS---- And man oh man that Seat Concepts seat has made this bike perfect for me. Absolutely no butt pain...no sliding forward... I Love it.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode