First Versys Trip: Brooklyn to Vermont - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

First Versys Trip: Brooklyn to Vermont

After getting the used 2011 Versys last week, I decided to ride it up to Vermont for a short trip.

Before leaving I checked all the basics, and installed a 12v power plug using a relay and the stock wiring. Having power to my GPS for the first time meant I didn't have to only power it up when I am lost

Packed on the new Motocentric Sport saddlebags, with the same brand tank bag I've had for a while. Good to go for 6-7 days.

The bike handled the extra weight with ease, and I had a blast running the Taconic all the way up until I could hit back roads. Got a chance to put the bike through its paces on the nice sweeping twisters through the Green MTN National Park.

I can't express how happy I am with this purchase. I have noticed a few things that I need to change - namely the seat, which is JUST as bad as everyone warns about. When I get home I'll try the mod of taking out some of the foam to lower the middle of the seat. Cheap, and supposedly effective.

Also bought a Flat Foot from a member - which will come in handy - but would have been great to have on this trip for all the gravel parking I do in Vermont. Next time...

Thanks for all the help I got here while researching the Versys purchase. I'm loving it!

**'2011 Versys, '75 Honda CL360 cafe project, '76 CB 550, '09 Husky TE610**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Looks like you're in the groove now... Just keep her safe and sound in Brooklyn. Do you have a good place to park her... Or is she on the street?

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Looks like you're in the groove now... Just keep her safe and sound in Brooklyn. Do you have a good place to park her... Or is she on the street?
I have a secure garage that I share with a bunch of guys to wrench on (mostly) older bikes. Sorta a collective. For this bike, because it will be my daily ride, I need to keep it close to home, so for now, I have a space to park - but it may be a bit expensive. We will see...

This is by far the newest looking bike I've had - which makes me nervous lately. Oddly, I've been hearing about a ton of vintage bikes being stolen lately - mostly Honda CB series. Good grief, they'll take anything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM

next time you come to vt look me up

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
next time you come to vt look me up
Where are you located? I'm in Brattleboro tonight - and then hit Joe's pond in west Danville tomorrow. At some point, I'll be making my way over to Barre. I'm not going to miss out on Groton forest, which has been some of the funniest "spirited" riding I've ever done!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 PM

i just rode lower vt yesterday.lots of back roads.and i took the seasonal road over mt tabor.gravel road with some cool places to stop.lots of devistation from irene everywhere.great area to ride
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Finally made my destination. The weather is gorgeous again today - making for some amazing riding. Got to hit my favorite road, route 232 north through Groton State Forest.

Saw so many riders (mostly Harley's and Baggers) along the way. Come to find out, there is a MASSIVE bike rally in Laconia, NH. might try to check it out tomorrow - although the whole point of getting out of Brooklyn is to get AWAY from crowds

And here's the bike parked at Joe's Pond, VT

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopreserve View Post

Rt. 43 in Hancock MA?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

That sounds about right.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM

I'm in Waterbury, not too far away from Barre.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to look you up next time I make it up there on the bike. I did the 350 miles back to Brooklyn today - made it in 7 hours without too much trouble.

Love the scenery and riding up there! I will have a video put together in the next couple days - I'll post it up when I get it finished.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Didn't have a ton of time - but edited up a quick video (part 1) of the ride up to Vermont from Brooklyn.

The good stuff will really be in Part 2: the riding up in Vermont - dirt roads, and my favorite stretch, the Groton State Forest!

Hope you enjoy. You can watch it HERE

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Nice video... nice site.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

The video was a little shaky due to not having a great location to mount the GoPro, but I'll work on that (or fab something better).

The site is just a bunch of guys and I trying to make old bikes run better (or at all!). That's why this bike is for NOT messing with. We will see how long that lasts...

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Just posted up the last in the series from my Vermont trip. Again, video not great, but it finally includes the backroads (dirt), which was the first time on gravel for me. The stock wheel are still on there - but they seemed to handle it well enough, since I took it safe/slow. Easy to see how this think could be really fun on these roads if the better wheels were installed...

Video HERE:

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 AM

What was your typical speed on the asphalt compared to dirt roads?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
What was your typical speed on the asphalt compared to dirt roads?
Up in Vermont, I would tend to have a little fun on the pavement, especially on the twisties if I could. But nothing outrageous. Usually between 55-70, depending on the turn! of course. There were certainly some turns where I had to slow down much more!

On the dirt, I just took it slow. Probably around 35-45mph, unless I was on a nice hard pack, then all bets are off. And sometimes only 25mph around gravel corners that seemed a wipeout was sure to be had

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode