thinking..maybe the versys was the right one, instead of the v strom - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

thinking..maybe the versys was the right one, instead of the v strom

Well a few months ago (About 3) I had decided is time to get a bike, always like them, always wanted one, so lets go get the bike...and the question came up, which one? My dream bike...suzuki v strom or kawa versys? So after many hours researching and looking stuff online, the v strom seen the right one..plus I found a really good deal for one with all accesories included (crash bars, givi racks and luggage, handguards, center stand, additional LED stop light). Well 3 months have past by, what do I think of my vstrom?..well as a new rider... I think is a really good bike, really easy to handle, and to learn on, the protection while riding is really good...overall a great bike....so why am I doubting my decision now? Well the answer is easy....I dont need such a big bike! The vstrom is huge! is 490 lbs! is way too heavy... I bought it to go on rides with my wife, to go touring...well so far...I only done this once...so that reason get thrown out, to do dual riding? well with a 490 lbs bike ...no thanks! I just feel the bike is too heavy and big (overall size)...so I started looking at the versys again...the only problem is that a have the vstrom loan to pay off first...., well just wanted to share my thoughts... oh and by the way is there any versys riders in Gainesville, Fl? would love to meet up... do you guys think im crazy? that after 3 months I want to change my bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM

IMO it takes more than 3 months of riding experience and lots and lots of demo rides to really develop an opinion on what bike you want as opposed to what you think you want. At least you did not get sucked into the Harley trap.

In reality there not a huge difference between the two. They compete with each other directly in the market place. IMO neither is better, just different. VStrom has very slightly more comfortable seating and softer suspension. The bike I would want to go off road or ride a long distance one. Versys has firmer suspension, quicker steering and slightly better on pavement handling, the bike I want for commuting and sport riding.

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-14-2012 at 07:27 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM

Grass is always greener... and in this case, Kawasaki green!
I'm sure the Wee is fine... some of the folks on this forum would probably prefer the 19" front wheel. Ride your bike, enjoy it, ride a Versys when you get the chance... whatever you do, at least you'll be riding, and don't take a loss on your purchase... that will ruin all the fun!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM

I'm sure somebody on here has had both. I went back and forth between the V and the WeeStrom. After sitting on the WeeStrom a few times and just not feeling right I tried the V. Perfect fit and I love how it rides.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
MTS

I'm with sprocket! You got a great bike!

The V has what we call a high fun factor, but both are good bikes.

I think the V is even more than 490lbs I'm not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I think the V is even more than 490lbs I'm not sure.

Nope. The original specs, IIRC, claimed just over 400 wet.

but what do I know?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 PM

If you've only been riding for 3 months I don't think you should have a passenger on the back yet anyway. Learn how to ride first, then take the responsibility for someone else's safety. From what I have read (never ridden a VStrom), that is the better bike for 2 up riding. I've had the GF on the back of my Versys and we were bumping feet. Will have to persevere more but that might be a problem.

Once you have more miles under your belt you will have a better idea what type of riding you want to do. That might be 2up touring, it might be dual sporting, who knows? But for just now focus on learning how to ride, and the VStrom is a mighty fine bike for that.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM

My guess is that most folks on this forum were considering the V-strom (or Wee Strom) and the Versys. Some good points have been made already about what are your uses? I agree that these bikes compete for the same market share, but for me the defining difference between the two really separates them very distinctly. The V-strom seems to be better suited to touring and the adventure side of things, and can do some canyon carving and urban riding alright. Whereas the Versys has greater strength in canyon carving and urban riding, and does the touring / adventure thing OK.

For me, the Versys fits my needs perfectly. It gets me around a metropolitan area wonderfully, and is great in the twisty, hilly, scenic areas, and I look forward to my first weekend camping trips on her this summer...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Desire and Deserve are two different world.

You desired a Versys and got a V storm. Let go the Versys in your thoughts and the V storm is just fine, just like the Versys.

Now go enjoy your ride &

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and opinion, is good to know that I wasn't the only having trouble choosing between the two. I will continue to ride and I will let you guys know how I do, versys forum always the best...even thought I don't own a versys, I really like to come here for advice and opinions.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Consider yourself LUCKY - you might have bought the V-strom 1000....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hans_groper Send a message via Skype™ to hans_groper
Curb Weight 454.2 lbs.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...?scid=6&id=572

I sat on them both at the Kawa-Zuki dealer and the Versys just "felt" better for me.That's just a 1st impression.

Obama,get your hand out of my pocket,I can stimulate myself.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 AM

How big are you and your wife?

It sounds to me like you just need more time in the seat and just aren't as confident a rider as you would like to be.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

I was in the same boat. I picked up my 2011 versys and have been a very happy camper. Im waiting to pick up my trax luggage setup, when I return from Florida. then it will be some multi day two up adventures coming for sure.

the wife wants the top case bad, she feels like she's going to fall off the back without it.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM

I had the same debate, and actually added two more to the mix, a BMW and a Triumph. Price was what won me over, Triumph was the highest Kawi the cheapest. Sitting on them, they all felt relatively the same, the BMW the lowest the V and Triumph the tallest.

It all came down to bargaining and price, I had cash, was willing to go upto $9,000 in price. I could have bought a V-strom adventure, only one dealer in town had one in stock. But, they were jerks when I went to look at it, just didn't like their attitude.

Plus, yeah call me weird, but I like blue, my pickup is a bright metallic blue, and I like the Plasma blue of the Versys, and it was the only one available in blue. Also, since it was the oldest ('09) but still brand new bike, I got the best deal on it.

Although I did recently have a chance to test ride a Triumph Tiger Explorer and a Ducati Multistrada. Whatever they are smoking to get that price, I'm gonna need in order to pay it.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM

I know it can be stressful.. Especially after you put all the time and energy into probably hours and hours of research...thinking, debating...etc. I know I did(Bought the 2012 black/yellow Versy!)
Well, you have a great bike there. I think you'll find that many more people are happy with their Versys, but people all over the world are loving their Vstroms too. Make the best of what you've got....farkle her a bit...make her your project.
The Versys is great, but she aint perfect either. Some of us could be wishing we would've chosen the Vstrom, because of the smoother engine....the better capability for touring... etc.
Enjoy that beautiful Vstrom!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
How big are you and your wife?

It sounds to me like you just need more time in the seat and just aren't as confident a rider as you would like to be.

Im 5'9", 175 lbs, my wife is 5'5", 130 lbs
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Like a lot of you have mentioned, 3 months is too short to make a comclusion about the bike, I will just keep enjoying the ride...

It actually all started bc I had a close call at the parking lot and it was so hard to keep the bike up...too heavy....anyway besides that Im having a blast...thanks everyone....
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 05:32 PM

I think you should see if you can lower it maybe. As well as take an advanced riders course.

More learning can't hurt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode