New Mexico, Colorado 2 day trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

New Mexico, Colorado 2 day trip

We took off from Albuquerque in Friday morning, up through Cuba, NM, then east, and north, to Chama. We then travelled up into Colorado, to Pagosa
Springs and turned east to Hwy 149, which took us north, through Creede and into Lake City for the night. Lake City ain't exactly a city; it's maybe 2 miles long. It's an old mining town that, like quite a few other old towns in Colorado, makes it's money through tourism. But it's a little less typical than the others, and I find it to be a very pleasant, relaxing little hamlet in the hills. It's one of my favorit destinations for a ride. Mileage that day was about 350. The next morning, we travelled further north to the end of that beautiful highway, and west on hwy 50 to Montrose, where we caught hwy 550 south. This is the road known as the million dollar highway, presumably because of the views. It heads down through Ouray, Silverton and Durango. From Durango we headed south to Bloomfield, NM and east on hwy 64, another great road with its own special, southwestern kind of charm, to hwy 537 south, through Jicarilla Apache country. Hwy 537 eventually led us back to hwy 550 just north of Cuba, and on home. Mileage for that day was just about 450. I filled up several times of course, and got 58 mpg lowest, to 63 mpg highest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Garage
I was told (as a small child - back when) that it is called the million dollar highway because of all of the ore that it was built on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xootrx View Post
But it's a little less typical than the others, and I find it to be a very pleasant, relaxing little hamlet in the hills. It's one of my favorit destinations for a ride.
My favorite colorado destination for peace and tranquility, and lots of fun 4-wheeling trails that are more scenic than scary.

'09 Versys

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I was told (as a small child - back when) that it is called the million dollar highway because of all of the ore that it was built on.
That makes sense.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 PM

When it was built as a stagecoach route, it cost $1million to build, hence it's name

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 AM

I rode with a group of 4 other riders on a week long ride thru most of those towns about 3 weeks ago. It was my first time into NM-Utah-Colo. It was a great week, beautiful country. Come see Ark. sometimes, we have some great roads in the Ozarks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuspacker View Post
I rode with a group of 4 other riders on a week long ride thru most of those towns about 3 weeks ago. It was my first time into NM-Utah-Colo. It was a great week, beautiful country. Come see Ark. sometimes, we have some great roads in the Ozarks
I've heard that. Interesting you should bring it up. I have a sister, and various nieces and nephews that I'm planning to visit in that area.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM

If you're not familar with the site, MotorcycleRoads.US, go to this site and click on to a state then click on to section of that state. That will bring up a list of routes and highways and information about them. NW Ozarks and Central Ozarks have some good riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode