Low Oil Pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Low Oil Pressure

Riding home tonight, oil light came on. Stopped and looked down, site glass was showing full. Light went off after a few seconds, then came back on and stayed on. Stopped at the store, bike sat parked maybe 45 minutes, came back out light was off when I started riding. But at the first light, it came on for a few seconds then went off. Dealer suspects either sensor or something plugging the filter. Guess I player "cager" for a few days while they sort it out.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

IF you do any 'trouble-shooting' - I suggest you check the grounds for anything related to the light or switch.

When my temp gauge started going full hot on my KLR coming back from Alaska, the problem was fixed when I cleaned up the ground connection.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM

This may not go over well, but I have had the oil light come on in an older engine. Used seafoam as directed (ounce per quart) for 40 or so miles. Actually cleared something out because the light hasn't come on again. (about 40K miles ago - now has 195K).

If it's at the dealer - it's there. If this happened to me on a bike out of warrantee, I'd go with Seafoam first.

If I know I am changing the oil after work on any of our cars or bikes, I add a 1/2 ounce per quart. Not every time, but once in a while. Drive to work and back (about 40 miles) then do the oil change. I know it sounds like snake oil, but I literally saved an engine this way ....

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Well, picked it up today from the dealer. They claim, it was an air pocket in the crankcase that blocked the sending unit from getting a proper reading. They bled the oil system, topped it off, the mechanic rode is 15 miles without problem. I put another 3 on it after I picked it up with issue, so we'll see.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 PM

fwiw I have never ever not once even heard of an air pocket in the crankcase. And I have been driving for over 50 years.

but I realize I do not know everything yet

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 PM
djg

I had this happen to me when bike was new. I ordered a new sensor, based on what I read about this on the web. It went away after first oil change, still have the sensor I bought.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
Well, picked it up today from the dealer. They claim, it was an air pocket in the crankcase that blocked the sending unit from getting a proper reading. They bled the oil system, topped it off, the mechanic rode is 15 miles without problem. I put another 3 on it after I picked it up with issue, so we'll see.
Why do dealers feel the need to cheat and lie all the time? There is no crankcase bleeding procedure. It bleeds itself on its own.
No charge? Is it on warranty? Does the oil pressure warning lamp still go on with ignition on, before starting engine, and does it go out quickly when you do start it?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the bike is under warranty still ( I bought it with only 10 miles on the odo from the dealer). The light comes on when the key is first turned on then goes out as soon as the engine starts.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 PM

30 year mechanic here. There is NO bleed procedure. Its bull ****. The oil system pushes all air out as soon as you start the bike.

It may need a sender or they may have put one in.

David
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hans_groper Send a message via Skype™ to hans_groper
I use Seafoam in both my car and bike (and lawnmower).Wish I had discovered it sooner in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
This may not go over well, but I have had the oil light come on in an older engine. Used seafoam as directed (ounce per quart) for 40 or so miles. Actually cleared something out because the light hasn't come on again. (about 40K miles ago - now has 195K).

If it's at the dealer - it's there. If this happened to me on a bike out of warrantee, I'd go with Seafoam first.

If I know I am changing the oil after work on any of our cars or bikes, I add a 1/2 ounce per quart. Not every time, but once in a while. Drive to work and back (about 40 miles) then do the oil change. I know it sounds like snake oil, but I literally saved an engine this way ....

Obama,get your hand out of my pocket,I can stimulate myself.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_groper View Post
I use Seafoam in both my car and bike (and lawnmower).Wish I had discovered it sooner in life.
The idea of using seafoam that's created by the agitation of seawater, particularly when it contains higher concentrations of dissolved organic matter doesn't quite appeal to me ... I guess you can collect it for free by the coast in Florida.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM

Homebrew Seafoam: http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

I've been using Lucas Fuel Conditioner... They now have a fuel system cleaner:

Lucas Deep Clean is blended with an exclusive Lucas additive package and specific carrier fluid that contains no diesel fuel (Seafoam), kerosene or anything else that can be harmful or useless to an engine.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=8&loc=show

I wouldn't use additives in my engine oil though... Quality synthetic oils like Amsoil AFF 0W-40 have excellent cleaning properties.

Last edited by invader; 06-15-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode