can someone recommend a solid camera mount (gas tank) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

can someone recommend a solid camera mount (gas tank)

I know ram makes some pretty good mounts, but I am looking for the kind that specifically attaches to the gas cap. I think its a very good position for a camera looking through the windshield.

Top priority is solid mounting (plastic is ok if its high quality).

Other nice things would be the ability to fill up my tank while it is on.

So far all I can find are generic ebay and amazon mounts for like 25 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 PM

Garage
This was taken with the camera mounted on the side of the gas tank with a ram suction mount. But the only problem is with long legs it was in the way of my knee.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 AM

Garage
This is the only one I've seen that mounts at the gas cap... http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2210/652/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 AM

Norrick

Have tried a gas tank mount and :

1. As you have to have a long mounting arm to get the camera high enough to see over all the front clocks etc , it induces massive camera shake. You realy need a tripod mount onto the gas tank.

2. No where to mount the tank bag

3. you always see things through a fuzzy screen

In all not worth the effort then again you may have better luck than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
This was taken with the camera mounted on the side of the gas tank with a ram suction mount. But the only problem is with long legs it was in the way of my knee.
Weljo

Try mounting it on top of one of your hardcases as this guy has done.
Its a great viewpoint and your knee will not suffer

No Video

Richard

PS excellent music as well

at
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Here is a link I did to the Pedco ultra clamp...cheap and effective. The other product I use and also Halfthrottle tested is the iStabilizer camera mount....very handy in many situations

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post

Weljo

Try mounting it on top of one of your hardcases as this guy has done.
Its a great viewpoint and your knee will not suffer

No Video

Richard

PS excellent music as well

Thanks Richard, Its a local (D/FW) band named Flickerstick.

That mounting spot was when i was trying different places to mount to.Also tried handlebars,crash bars and a few other places.but the best place for video was mounted to one of the forks and i have a camera for photos mounted to the windshield bracket.

You can see both camera here...
IMG_1431 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1432 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Videos.... http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee

Latest Photos With Drift Camera... http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7630038430120/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 AM

Here is a shot from the bottom of my SW Motech bars. Had some vibration but turned out ok.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Norrick

Have tried a gas tank mount and :
I like gas filler mount for a camera on some bikes, but not for the Versys.

Camera needs to sit too high, like you said. I have a great gas-filler mount for Kawasakis, but it would need to be modified to use with the Versys. And with the required riser, it would be in the way and I think dangerous too if you had an accident.

On the bike I used it on I left the mount on all the time and had no problem using tank bags. Of course it wasn't compatible with gas-filler mount tank bags. Which seem like the best kind to use on the Versys...

On the Versys I like to shoot from low and behind the front wheel to the side, mounted below an engine guard.

Last edited by davidg; 06-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

My windshield is clear and non-distorting so I wouldn't mind putting a camera behind it to see the speedo and tach. I plan on using a wide angle lens so you see in front of you on both sides of the windshield, not just through the windshield.

Ideally I'd like a nice camera on the tank facing forward, and maybe another camera (as small as possible, doesn't have to be high-def) on the back facing rearward. Make some picture in picture videos so you have like a virtual rear view mirror.

I've only ever fallen once, and it was on a ZX-6R, which puts you leaning much farther forward than on the Versys, and even on that fall, I lowsided it and seperated from the bike while I was on my side; I didn't go near the tank. Kinda funny it reminds me of when the shuttle releases its two solid rocket boosters. I can't see a tank mount being a hazard any more than the windshield unless you literally collide head on with something, in which case the camera on the tank is the least of your worries.

Last edited by Norrick; 06-06-2012 at 03:04 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 AM

Tiwsted Throttle sells one that mounts to a tank ring. Its pretty spendy. Even the clearest windscreen will not be optically correct. I'd post a link but I can't seem to get TT's site to load this morning.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM

There site is working this is what I'm talking about

Link

$95 is a bit much for me plus you need to add the tank ring for another $40....

Halfthrottle
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM

I've never tried a gas tank mount but I've used just a standard RAM mount on the handle bar and it gives a similar POV.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9s0ngzM3n4
Also, there is a chest harness for GoPro's that gives a good view (but my tankbag tends to get in the way with that).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
That mounting spot was when i was trying different places to mount to.Also tried handlebars,crash bars and a few other places.but the best place for video was mounted to one of the forks and i have a camera for photos mounted to the windshield bracket.

You can see both camera here...
Is that the Drift HD or Drift 170 Stealth you are using.

People have commeted on other forums, that the new Drift HD hardware / software has been set-up for Snow scenes more (ie a Bluish tinge), rather than what we require (warm and colourful)

Richard

at
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Is that the Drift HD or Drift 170 Stealth you are using.

People have commeted on other forums, that the new Drift HD hardware / software has been set-up for Snow scenes more (ie a Bluish tinge), rather than what we require (warm and colourful)

Richard
Both of mine are the Drift HD170 Stealth. They came out with a newer one the Drift HD its smaller and has a 9 mp camera instead of 5. I like mine because you can run a power cable while filming so no need to worry about batteries. I had one earlier that got damaged in a wreck I paid 239.00 for it but over the winter Amazon had them on sale for $159.00 so i bought 2. Now thier back over $200.00. Not sure about thier software i just use the iMovie program that came on my MacBook Pro.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM

You can use the ram mount that replaces the factory clutch arm mount bolts and a ram 12" arm and you will have a rock solid mount way out front with nothing but clean air view. I have been using it for months with my go pro hero 2 it's been perfect.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

http://www.expressmounts.com/ram-mou...-b-201u-c.html

http://www.expressmounts.com/search/q=go+pro+tripod

These 3 combined give me nothing but clean view rock solid and no vibes.

08 Versys

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2012-05-20-10h30m10s184.jpg (19.6 KB, 36 views)

08 Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode