Magnetic Map Holder Recommendation? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Magnetic Map Holder Recommendation?

Anyone here have a magnetic map holder similar to this?

With our odd shaped tank due to the fairings, I was wondering if anyone has one that works well before I bought one on amazon.com (9"X8"). If you do, would you please snap a photo of it in place and provide some ordering information so I could buy one?

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 06-02-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Garage
Come on Capn.
In today's electronic age. I bet most people don't know what a map or atlas is. They just go to the GPS and follow it blindly.

But no I have not seen one.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Come on Capn.
In today's electronic age. I bet most people don't know what a map or atlas is. They just go to the GPS and follow it blindly.

But no I have not seen one.
Haha!! GPS has its place on my handlebars as well, but I like my maps and written directions first, and the GPS when I am totally bass akwards of where I should be!

Thanks for the laugh!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Garage
I have to get on my kids (18 & 20) about directions and maps. They ask me how to get there, Like I have all the answers. I send them to my good friend Google to looked it up and print it. Have them reviewed the directions and even looked a street view to familiarize them selves on how to get there. I am mean. I did not buy them GPS for the cars.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Haha!! GPS has its place on my handlebars as well, but I like my maps and written directions first, and the GPS when I am totally bass akwards of where I should be!

Thanks for the laugh!!
Yep, I sure agree with that. Last summer while traveling from Maine back to Texas we visited (or tried to anyway) several Civil War sites along the way.

When we asked the GPS to take us to Harper's Ferry it apparently became confused and took us all around Robin Hood's barn (I never have understood that phrase) - to a cemetery, up a VERY narrow one lane road, then five miles in the wrong direction! It was probably laughing up it's sleeve (I've never understood that phrase either). Paper maps and written directions will always have a place in our travel packet. It's a well-learned lesson from boating - no matter how good the GPS it will never replace paper charts.

If you find an acceptable magnetic map holder I hope you'll tell the rest of us.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
If you find an acceptable magnetic map holder I hope you'll tell the rest of us.
Will do!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

On the 1,000 miler I just did from last Sunday till Thursday, I knew the way to my destinations, but put it into my Garmin Nuvi 550 to have an ETA.

Imagine my surprise when (BOTH WAYS!!!) it came up with a routing TWO hours longer than the way I went. And - I DO have it set for shortest time.... In BOTH instances it kept insisting I turn back till I'd gone probably 50 to a 100 miles past where it thought I should turn, and THEN it came up with an ETA two hours sooner!

Like others here, I always have a map in the pocket on my tank-bag, and I can't imagine just blindly following GPS on a long trip. Looking for an address...? Different situation.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-02-2012 at 11:43 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM

I've got one similar to it.....Made by road gear. Though I got their version that straps-on.
GPS is needless tech in my most humble opinion ( I'll probably catch hell for that comment)...most of the time I never actually use the map in front of me because after studying the map pre-trip, I retain all I need to remember.
I just keep it around for reference. also keep a good quality compass with me too...both, no batteries required!
Works well and no bulk of a tank bag.
Just sayin'

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I've got one similar to it.....Made by road gear. Though I got their version that straps-on.
I found it on their site. http://roadgear.com/three-point-tank-holder-p-56.html

Can you post up some photos of how it sits and how you attached please!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM

why not just make one your self with zip lock freezer bags and refridgerator magnets the flat flexible magnets. Just slip the magnets in the bag under the map.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
why not just make one your self with zip lock freezer bags and refridgerator magnets the flat flexible magnets. Just slip the magnets in the bag under the map.
You know, that's not a bad idea!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
You know, that's not a bad idea!
Thanks Capn, just make sure the magnet is strong enough
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Magnetic-Material-12-inch-Magnetizing/dp/B001NGE9C0

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.

Last edited by glowcat13; 06-02-2012 at 04:50 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM

At the fabricating shop where I work, a lot of the steel comes in with the mill certifications in a plastic slip envelope that has a flexible magnet on one end. Monday I'll see how well they fit the gas tank. I love my gps but there something comforting about a map and the compass that's always in my jacket.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
That's what I did on my trip last year. The flat flex magnets were not strong enough though, so I just used some regular small magnets, one in each corner of a heavy duty freezer bag. You can see it on the tank here:

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 AM

My girlfriend bought me a small tank bag. I took it to a sewing place and had them take the magnetic wings off the side and sew them back on the front and back. Tank bag fits great and holds the map.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM

I just ordered this Givi T483 Tank Bag from The Motorcycle Superstore and was surprised to see that it is made to fit the 2010 Versys. I don't think the tanks on the 2010 are significantly different from other years but it's got everything I want in a tank bag. It's a good size for rain gear, a clear map pocket on top, extra side pockets for a phone, keys, wallet, glasses etc.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode