Month-long road trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Month-long road trip

Tomorrow morning my wife Kathy and I are climbing on the Versys for a month-long trip across the US. Starting in CA and visiting a bunch of states with an easternmost destination of Daytona Beach FL area.

No set itinerary, but a few folks to visit across the US. I will be making regular status updates on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themichaelbyrne (friend requests accepted).

This will be our longest trip by about 50%; should be fun!

Michael

(picture is from last year)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2711.jpg (104.7 KB, 350 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

...and SAFE riding!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 AM

From West to East of the US of A, that is a big ride. Would like to be able to do a long trip one of these days too. I am from Malaysia, riding one round trip in Peninsular Malaysia covering 11 states would probably be done in 10 days! Peninsular Malaysia is about the size of Florida. I have had my 2011 Versys for less than a year, enjoying it tremendously. Post your photos. Been to the USA a long time ago in the mid-80s for some work training, visited and did some work/training in California, Florida, was even in Daytona Beach for a short stay, I remember they even drove cars on the beach itself, wonder if they still do that! Your country is suited for bike riding, long, long stretches of highways/roads that go on forever. One of these days, hhmmm! Daydreaming, got to get back to work, doing this from my office computer, should be working.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Talking super trip!

Thanks for the heads up,when it comes to these big adventure rides,WE are all interested..THIS IS WHAT THE V LIFE IS ALL ABOUT...
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 AM

Sounds like a good ride.
My wife and I share the travel passion also. We are fortunate enough to be off work in the summer for 3 weeks and pick destinations to travel. This summer we complete our bucket list of hitting each state in the US on a motorcycle. We are going from Florida to Washington State through Kansas.
Bender, we still drive on the beach in Daytona and a few other beaches in Florida. You just want to make sure and wash the bike afterwards as salt water will rust it out quickly.
Have fun and ride safe. No agenda is the best way to travel.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM

I'm hoping to go the opposite east to west next year or the year after. Good luck and have fun.

Thumper I almost jumped on the V to hit Tampa over memorial day weekend. I had a massive craving for scachatta from Alessi's. Sadly work got in the way.

"Why do I ride?"

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Mmmm, Scachatta from Alessi's! That would be worth the ride.

IBA #23562

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Work and wife didn't think so. We've been married 16 years and been to visit my family in tampa several times and she still hasn't experienced scachatta.

I need to measure my seahorse cases and see if I can stash scachatta in them with ice packs for the 19 hour journey back north. I'll mail my clothes back. Of course I don't think they would survive the trip north. Every rest stop would be a dining experience.

Back on topic now I swear! Please post your route if you can I'd love to compare my planned route west with yours going east.

"Why do I ride?"

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:36 PM

I did 4 weeks on the road in 2010, on my 1999 VFR. I wish I had the Versys back then; it wouldv'e been much more comfortable and the last week would have been more enjoyable.

My buddy (on his '94 BMW K75) and I did a counter-clockwise loop from the SEPA area. Honestly, I was done after we looped through the Grand Canyon area in the middle of the third week. There was almost nothing notable about the 3 days we rode across Texas.

My advice: If you or your wife start feeling like you'd rather teleport home, find a nice little town and spend more than one night there. Our two nights in New Orleans (didn't even touch the bikes on the day in between, except to check on them) totally renewed my energy and excitement to be back on the bike for the last three days riding home. I wish we had planned more time, or a shorter route, so we could spend more time off the bikes than trying to average 300+ miles per day (not counting 3 days in Denver and a whole day in L.A.).

Also, if you're coming across the south, don't miss the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL. Plan to spend most of a day there. In fact, that would be a good time to book two nights in the same hotel and take a break.

Have fun! Post pics!!! (And Friend me on Facebook; I'll show you the Page I did for our 2010 trip.)

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo12 View Post
My advice: If you or your wife start feeling like you'd rather teleport home, find a nice little town and spend more than one night there...

Also, if you're coming across the south, don't miss the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL. Plan to spend most of a day there. In fact, that would be a good time to book two nights in the same hotel and take a break.

Have fun! Post pics!!! (And Friend me on Facebook; I'll show you the Page I did for our 2010 trip.)
We do plan to have multi-night stops, including 2 nights in Birmingham to visit the Barber Museum. We will even stop for multiple days if the weather forces us to. We don't have to be anywhere at any time except a drop-dead return date of July 9 (we will probably be home at least a week before that).

Michael
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Awesome. Our 2010 trip had too many reservations: camping (Moab and near Grand Canyon had to be booked six months in advance), hotels (to get better rates) and friends expecting us on specific days. We had a few days in between reservations, but it still required 300+ miles per day. We saw lots of stuff all over the country, but it was like a whirlwind tour, with quick glances at everything.

I'm all for a no-reservations, no itinerary multi-week trip. We're heading up into Canada for two weeks this September, hopefully with no reservations, and so far no itinerary. I think it'll be a much more enjoyable trip.

If you come towards the northeast, let me know.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Things are going well after a luggage malfunction in the first 4 miles that required a return home and some re-work. It was only a 40 minute delay.

First night in Austin NV. Tonight and tomorrow night we are in Orem Utah. Those 3 nights were planned. We don't know where we'll be on Monday night (but I've got some ideas; I can't help it!)

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2905.jpg (90.7 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2912.jpg (98.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2918.jpg (69.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2920.jpg (80.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2925.jpg (77.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2928.jpg (52.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2929.jpg (53.7 KB, 260 views)
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:02 AM

I'm jealous. It would feel great to be doing what you're doing. But I may have a chance to ride out to San Francisco in August, which should scratch the wanderlust itch.

Your bike appears to be nicely set up for traveling. Serious saddlery. Have a safe trip and enjoy every minute.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
MTS

Awesome! Check out Moab and the parks! If your butt gets soar buy Air Hawks they are unreal!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Awesome! Check out Moab and the parks! If your butt gets soar buy Air Hawks they are unreal!
And on your ride to Moab, ride throughZion National Park, then to Bryce Canyon, then the road to Hanksville, UT, (one of the most spectacular rides in the US IMO).

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Garage
Love that Matchless decal! I had a G80CS way back when. Happy trails, keeping a loose itinerary is prolly the best advice for a road trip. I always enjoy poring over road maps (they're flat charts made of paper and don't require batteries) in a motel room, planning my next day and even then I will deviate at the first diversion that grabs my attention.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I always enjoy poring over road maps (they're flat charts made of paper and don't require batteries)...
I prefer "analog GPS".

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Seeing your pics makes me anxious to get started on my next ride. I still have about 4 weeks before I head out. You guys look relaxed and ready for what the road brings.

IBA #23562

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 PM

If you find yourself in or around Knoxville, TN hit me up! We have great beer here and even better BBQ to go with it.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Awesome. Enjoy!

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode