Versys 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Versys 1000

Sat on a Versys 1000 yesterday at the dealer. It had an empty tank but the center of gravity actually seemed, at least in my mind, to be lower than my Versys 650 which surprised me. Same thing with the Yamaha Tenere. Got to start the engine on the 1000 too and there is NO vibration. Only thing I did not like is the styling. The Versys 650 looks nice, the 1000, meh. My dealer unfortunately has a no test drive policy or I would have taken it for a test drive.

Dash is all digital. You would think they would develop a good dash and then use it on all their models to avoid unnecessary duplication.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-30-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM

I've seen a white one from about 10m.
It looks incredibly bland in that color.
I guess it has to be to appeal to the 'targeted demographic'. (old farts )
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Be careful, I'm one of those. Anyway, the part I hate the most is the exhaust. It looks too bulky for my taste.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to brokenhat
I hate the radiator.

Matt
2012 Versys, Vario ws, Barkbuster Storms, lowering blocks, flatfoot, Zumo GPS, Givi soft side bags, Axio tail bag, Wolfman Express tank bag
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM

I sat on one a few times at the Vancouver motorcycle show in January.
I didn't like it at all. It lost the smaller, more agile feel of the 650 that I like.
It reminded me too much of the V-Strom I had before the Versys,and why I got rid of it.
My opinion anyways.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM

I think the only reason I'd consider upsizing is for more room on the pillion seat for my wife. It's a little tight on there on my 650.

Of course, it's all a theoretical discussion until the decide to bring it to the US.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM

I actually Really like the side profile. I would just change the exhaust and put on aprilia Mirrors haha
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM

That big ugly muffler just kills the looks!!!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I think the only reason I'd consider upsizing is for more room on the pillion seat for my wife. It's a little tight on there on my 650.

Of course, it's all a theoretical discussion until the decide to bring it to the US.....
+1. I am in the exact same position. I love my 650, but would really like more room for the wife.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 PM

This is kind of funny because the same sort of thing went on with the original '99 Suzuki SV650. Everyone (magazine writers and public alike) praised the bike but almost everyone said they wish there was a 1000cc version. Two years later Suzuki came out with a 1000 and most said it didn't live up to the 650. It didn't handle quite as good (heavier) and just didn't have that magic.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
It didn't handle quite as good (heavier) and just didn't have that magic.
That is well said! And the whole point. Once you go bigger it loses that magic!

Talked to a guy in Moab who had a yamaha 1000 adv. sport and he said I got it because it has shaft drive. But he said its too heavy! Took on some gravel roads but felt too heavy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 PM

Heck I remember when a 650 WAS a big bike. I like my "Little" Versys just fine...I traded my Buell XB12STT for it. The Buell was a smaller overall bike with a much bigger motor in it. It was at time like riding a grill due to the heat from the motor. The lack of passanger room not so on the Buell...NO passanger seat at all on the STT.

I'd looked at the Yamaha and Wee along with a 800GS before going with the V. So far I love the little bike (after a seat upgrade that is) and have NO regrets at all. I like mid size bikes best they're fast enough to play on the interstate all day long if you want, and get you in trouble if you're not careful. BUT light enough to toss around on the back roads and not throw your back out! And can haul enough to see you though a week or so trip...my KLR made it from Ohio to Florida just fine BUT I took back roads for the most part. More fun that way. BUT it is kinda of slow. That's what I got the Versys for.

If you really want to do right by your lady a Ural! I talked to a couple and she said she loved it...she could nap whan she felt like it!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-30-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode