The BIG Sargent seat question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

The BIG Sargent seat question

Or several questions. Who has now bought one, kept it, sent it back, loves it, hates it ?

I still don't know when it will be available this side of the pond, so all feedback greatly received.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 PM

I tried a Sargent seat for my V, and by the third ride I knew I couldn't live with it. I really wanted to like it-it looks great, but I was just too cramped-it forced me to sit forward, closer to the tank, with no support for my inner thighs. Sargent enlarged the passenger section and reduced the rider's part. The standard padding is firmer than oem, which seemed at first to transmit a harsher, bumpier ride as though I had increased the suspension damping significantly-but it's not nearly as hard as a Corbin. The carbon fiber look cover is close to the oem cover in terms of not being slippery, and since the seat doesn't slope forward, a person is not sliding into the tank under braking.
The deal breaker for me was the feeling that I was sitting on the edge of a chair with just my butt on the seat. If you're sitting down while reading this post, slide forward until just your butt is on the chair-but be carefull that the chair doesn't fall forward. I'd come back from a ride with my knees sore from bracing myself against that falling forward feeling.
I have a Seat Concepts seat kit waiting for me to install when I get home from Salt Lake City in about a week or so. And no, I didn't take the V-I took my Concours C10.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM

I love the Sargent seat.it does move you a little closer to the tank,but i like getting a little more weight over the front wheel.of course I'm only 5 8.so it might feel cramped if you're tall.i also have lowering pegs,so the cockpit is perfect for me with this set up.the seat foam is definitely firmer. Makes it great for long rides.it has changed the bike for me.i cant believe the difference over stock.
There is no forward slope,and its slightly wider at your thighs. Much wider where you sit.it looks great on the bike too..much better than most after market seats.it's also extremely light.i highly recommend the seat if you're not big guy that needs a lot of room.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 PM

sargent seat

[B]
agree with all donr1122 impressions...for me it makes the V sharper handling with weight in exactly the correct position...my crotch is about 1.5 inches back from the tank and I have about 1.5 inches in back to reach the "backstop"....firm, and it took several hundred miles to acclimate to the change in firmness...overall I am more than pleased
Cheers
RCF
6.0 ft...175 #...31 inch inseam...pegs lowered
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I was in the same boat, went back and forth as to whether I was going to keep it but in the end its going back. Sunday I did a 250 mile ride and I just couldn't take it by the end of the day.
The good for me was the seating position....no forward slide. Looks great built very well.

The bad...foam to hard, as stated it cuts into your thighs in an odd place. Sitting on the edge of a chair is a good analogy.

I really wanted to like the Sargent seat as well but in the end its a fail for me.

I ordered a Seat concepts kit I hope this works out. I was almost happy with the airhawk an stock seat combo but the forward slide was the only problem. I really love the V but if I can't sort this seat situation out I may be looking to trade it in next winter...

For reference I'm 5'11" 230lbs I use speedy lowering kit and SWM Off road pegs on the lower setting.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 05-29-2012 at 07:22 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I just wanted to add one last thought about Sargent Seat or more specifically their customer service. I sent my seat back last Tuesday Parcel post (half what UPS wanted) and got a notification today that my CC was refunded.
Thanks for living up to your word !!

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. How about some good pics as well ?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM

sargent seat

sargent seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-12_19-40-13_862.jpg (42.3 KB, 171 views)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Well, it certainly looks nice and I can see that the dreaded slope forward problem has been addressed.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I was in the same boat, went back and forth as to whether I was going to keep it but in the end its going back. Sunday I did a 250 mile ride and I just couldn't take it by the end of the day.
The good for me was the seating position....no forward slide. Looks great built very well.

The bad...foam to hard, as stated it cuts into your thighs in an odd place. Sitting on the edge of a chair is a good analogy.

I really wanted to like the Sargent seat as well but in the end its a fail for me.

I ordered a Seat concepts kit I hope this works out. I was almost happy with the airhawk an stock seat combo but the forward slide was the only problem. I really love the V but if I can't sort this seat situation out I may be looking to trade it in next winter...

For reference I'm 5'11" 230lbs I use speedy lowering kit and SWM Off road pegs on the lower setting.
+1 You have to fix forward slide for Air Hawk to work best! Easy self-mod, stuff foam through holes towards the tank side (front) of the seat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM

I have had two Sargent seats on other bikes and found them to be completely satisfactory. Corbins are too hard from all that I've ever read. I'm surprised how good the stocker is.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Just an update : The Sargent agent in the UK still doesn't have any info on when the Versys Sargent seat is going to be available or how much it is going to cost. So I came across a brand new refurbed customised seat on ebay and won the auction. I'm waiting for delivery now and the seller tells me it has dual density foam, is 25mm taller and slightly wider than stock with the front modded to stop the dreaded crushed nuts syndrome. It's working out at probably a third of the price of a new Sargent, so here's hoping that it does a good job. Heck, it can't be any worse than the oe seat, eh ?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Rode about 700 miles on a weekend trip to mt Washington NH.I didn't realize how much I loved my Sargent seat until I switched out with my friend and rode his triumph tiger.his bike is so dam smooth,it's crazy.I love it.but his stock saddle sucks.BAD.I love my versys Sargent seat!

Last edited by donr1122; 07-10-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode