Tall Windshields. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Tall Windshields.

Before you blast me on this post I have had three different after market windshields that I bought for my KLR before giving up and going back to stock, NOT a cheap way to learn they didn't work.

Anyway on my trip yesterday I found I was having to stop all the time to clean bug splats off my face shield I decided that may I should get a taller shield for the bike. I like the look of the stock shield but the bugs are worse this year than I can ever remember.

I saw the Givi at TT and thought I'd try it. I kind of like the look of it the best of the ones I've seen so far. Any input of it such as buffeting or wind slap? I'm right at 6' and the air off the stock shield hits at the base on my helmet now BUT is fairly "Clean" air very little buffet. I tried the shield in the most upright setting and the bike really got slapped around by the wind from trucks and vans.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 AM

I just received the Givi windshield. I will be trying it out. Seems to be good quality.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Be looking forward to a "Test Report" from you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM

I've had the Givi on my 08, and have one ordered for my 11. On my 08, the shield works adequately for my 6'2" height when in the topmost position. The problem is that when in the topmost position, the vibrations from rough roads, or cobblestones, (both in abundant supply here in Mexico), stresses the aluminum windshield mounts, and apparently stresses the left mount on the early model more than the right. I've replaced the left mount twice, and welded it 3 times, before lowering the windscreen to the lowest position. Not sure the 2011 will be any different, but thought I'd give you the heads-up.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 AM
VOz

I will be fitting the Givi to my 2012 V tomorrow, will advise on my findings in the next week.

I have also ordered a Madstad adjustable bracket with an 18" screen. I am waiting for Mark from Madstad to confirm that the V kits is now fully tested and ready for sale. He expects sometime in the next week.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Too bad there's no way to "Test Ride" a windshield. Like I said I bought 3 different ones for my KLR and ended up with the factory one on until it gets REAL cold. Either didn't like the looks, fit or buffeting.

Waiting to hear your report PC.

Time

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM

I've had the givi on my 2012 V for about 2months + now. I'm about 5'9" and for the most part its good, offers good protection from bugs. But at higher speeds it seems like it could have been a couple of inches higher. The top of my helmet catches some of the bad air, and I find that I need to slouch a little. Interestingly , I find that if I ride with my visor open, it smooth out the bad air that my helmets catches when the visor is down. It's in the top most position now, and haven't really experimented with other positions.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 03:15 PM

I've got a Givi on the 012....I'm 5'10" and it is perfect. I can ride with the shield up if I want, and it works great. It's perfect at highway speeds also, I'm very happy with it.

'15 DL1000

Last edited by jnor; 05-28-2012 at 03:47 PM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I've got a Givi on the 012....I'm 5'10" and it is perfect. I can ride with the shield up if I want, and it works great. It's perfect at highway speeds also, I'm very happy with it.
Good news. I may go ahead and order on next week and hope for the best as it looked OK on your bike. Some of the after market windshields seem to "Take Over" the bike.

BTW I looked at you bike trying to figure out what type hand guards you had before it hit me...DOH it's a tank bag!

Sean, I'll take a little bad air at speed. I looking for protection from the bugs in spring/summer and cold in fall/winter. BUT I want something I can swap back to the factory shield with just a few screws if I want. I don't mind CLEAN air and when it's real hot I'd rather have that than a "wall" in front of me...until I can figure out how to install A/C anyway!

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Man that's a sweet looking bike. It makes my 2008 look dated. I love the yellow, my last car was a Screaming Yellow Mustang GT. I may need to stop by the Kawi dealer soon. No, must resist urge...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM

I have the same yellow hornet / pittsburgh steelers Versys!
JNOR - Can I ask what model Givi and what's the best price on that windscreen???

-Peace-
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM

It's a Givi D410ST....I bought it from Twisted Throttle $108.00

'15 DL1000
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM

There is lots of screen advice on this forum...and rightfully so because everyone is different regarding both size and posture as well as riding conditions. I rode for a long time with a Givi on a Madstad bracket and was quite comfortable with the exception of some buffeting during some interstate riding. I tried adding a home-made lip to it and that helped but I decided to try a tall Parabellum. This has been the best setup for me. I am 6-2". It is a big screen but I like the way it functions.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks JNOR; Thanks Squirrelly - But I don't think those Parabellum will fit our 2012?? Looks like the old 2008-09 Mounting bars..?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM

I have a givi copy. I'm 5'6" and at the straightened setting, it blocks out most of the wind and i can ride 100mph without having to hunch or getting blasted compared to using the stock shield. Blocks most of the bugs but there are still the occasional few that manages to hit the top of visor.

The only drawback, i'm sweating profusely in the hot tropical weather despite wearing a mesh jacket. Plus there's some downward wind pressure at the top of my helmet that pushes the rain water down into the visor when it rains.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Where did you get the givi copy? What was the price?
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM
VOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
Man that's a sweet looking bike. It makes my 2008 look dated. I love the yellow, my last car was a Screaming Yellow Mustang GT. I may need to stop by the Kawi dealer soon. No, must resist urge...
That yellow/black/silver colour combo is just deluxe. Esily the best looking V ever, IMHO.

I have a 2012 all black, everything is just black including the swingarm. In Oz weonly have black.

I think I might take it down to my fav spray painter and paint in that yellow onto my fairing and guards, love it. Might go for a more classic yellow though?

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
VOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirreltoe View Post
There is lots of screen advice on this forum...and rightfully so because everyone is different regarding both size and posture as well as riding conditions. I rode for a long time with a Givi on a Madstad bracket and was quite comfortable with the exception of some buffeting during some interstate riding. I tried adding a home-made lip to it and that helped but I decided to try a tall Parabellum. This has been the best setup for me. I am 6-2". It is a big screen but I like the way it functions.
I fitted the Givi D410ST to my 12 V today. Tried the two highest positions. I think I might have been expecting too much as it did not meet my expectations in either position.

I still experienced a lot of wind to the head around nose level and up. The position (Position 2 in the owner manual) where the top of the screen is the most forward felt the best.

You can crouch forward and get total protection but not in the upright position. You also et a lot ofwind on your upper arms.

I am 6' 1" with long body, short legs.

I have ordered a Madstad with one of their 18" screens which I beleive is both taller and wider than the Givi so it may work well or maybe the Givi on the Madstad brackets, will have to wait and see.

Overall, the Givi offers a big improvement over the OEM screen and for riders who are say up to about 5' 9" I beleive that they would get very good protection.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
That yellow and black is frikkin' sharp looking!

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM

The Givi on my 09 still had to much wind/buffering.
I added a Laminar lip to the Givi and its much better. The best setup I've tryed so far.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode