Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Riding 2 Up - Are Bike Adjustments Needed?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have been riding for a few years now, with the versys being my 4th bike.

In any case, I have been riding with the lady for some time now, but I have never really made any "adjustments" to my bike vs. when I ride alone.

This isn't a "Gear" or "how to ride" thread, I understand all that good stuff.

Its more of, should I be changing anything on the bike before we go out? Things such as Tire Pressure, Preload/Reload, etc.

Any advice would be great!

#2 ·
I'm mostly ride solo but when the odd time I am taking somone on the back for a planned longer ride such as my sons I will crank up the preloads and rebound a few clicks to allow for the extra weight and then put back to my solo settings. Think it would be good to record suspension setting that work for you on solo rides and setting for two ups.

#3 ·
+1
Exactly what I do.

For solo I run full soft pre-load. I'm about 175. The wife and I together are about double that so I go up to about the 4th cog on the pre-load adjuster. I also go from 35lbs in the rear to about 38-40.

Other than that we just get on and ride. The bike goes really well, 75-80 on the freeway is no big deal, and other than the extra weight and low speed parking lot handling, it's no problem at all.

We've done a couple of 200+ mile day trips now and she really enjoys it. Funny, because I've been riding street for about 10 years now and this is the first she's been willing to ride. Must be my old age and slowing down a bit. :D

I also rebuilt the pillion section of the seat for her. Added a memory foam insert with a covering of smoothing foam and reinstalled the seat cover. She says it's a lot better and is good for 250 miles or so after just a couple of trips. With more seat time I'm sure that could be stretched to 350 over a whole day of travel.

That said, she has expressed interest in loading up panniers and doing some overnighters hoteling it, maybe even a tent-night, and I have trouble seeing that realistically on this bike. So I'm looking at bigger adventure bikes like the GS, Super Tenere, Tiger 800/1050. We'll see.

#7 ·
Don't have a V, but in the old days with those bikes, recently with my vulcan 1600, and now with my concours, I do NOT make changes. A big part of my riding life is enjoying time with my wife, or one of my sons on board.

I set the suspension nice and tight for me. When one of them hops on, it loosens up and they enjoy a comfortable ride.

All good. Just enjoy IMHO.

#13 ·
Set the sag proper for you. Make sure the head light is adjusted correctly.

Look at where the head light points when you are 10 to 25 feet back.

Put the little lady on the back and adjust your rear spring height so the head light is the same. For each click up of the shock, one or two clicks stiffer on the rebound. This is just a rule of thumb.

Once the spring adjustment is made adjust the rebound for the ride you want.
"Season to taste"

#16 ·
its worked so far, but tires pressures need to be around max of what they recommend 38 rear 32 front to be safe and i would adjust preload on rear 2 clicks up. i found the front was under sprung and got new springs if your 2 up with standard springs man the bike must dive under braking which is not good if it gets tight, problem with 2 up and the worst happens it 2 of you gone, its more important to get the bike set up right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.