Canadian boarder crossings - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Canadian boarder crossings

I'm borrowing a small trailer from a friend and going through Canada. Any issues i should be aware of?

Wife and i are trailering two bikes to the great lakes and would like to return through Canada and Niagara falls.. any issues with a borrowed trailer??

Thanks,
Sean

2011 Versys
2008 KTM 200xc-w
2012 KLR650 (wife's)
2005 CRF230 (wife's)
2007 KX 100 (daughter's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Have the registration for the trailer and a letter signed by the owner saying you can take it across the border. Be ready to have it inspected and searched thourghly. If your real lucky they will run it through the portable x-ray machine

Last edited by southbark; 05-23-2012 at 10:48 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 PM

I don't how it works in your State,but here in Ontario,Canada you need to carry the Ownership for a Trailer.In saying that, Canada Customs will more than likely not care about that seeing as though your from the US.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Falls!

Cam

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
MTS

Take your passports. As southpark said have that paper work ready but don't tell them anything about that unless they ask! No fruit, no potatoes, no plants. No tobbaco, NO FIRE ARMS! No boose!
Just answer there questions.
If you have a pack of cigs or can of chew for your use no big deal.
If anybody smoked weed or did drugs in the trailer they sometimes use dogs. If the dog flags it they may tear that trailer apart. I've seen it happen. Have a great trip and check your insurance most do not cover you out side the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 05-23-2012 at 11:06 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Garage
This will probably never be needed but I would suggest getting your friend to write a short note (to whom it may concern) saying he is lending you his trailer and sign it and include with it with a photo copy of his drivers license. Do bring proof of insurance for an vehical that you will drive here as well as registration papers for the vehicles and trailer. US customs will probably want this too when you cross back into the US.

For the most part Canadian border guards are more concerned making sure returning Canadians pay sales taxes on any US purchased goods and making sure no one on their list enters. Bringing a gun in legally will require lots of forms and probably some processing delays. Bringing a pistol in illegally and getting caught will get you treated like you have a kilo of heroin. Other than that I would not expect any issues.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM

1+

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM

We passed through Canadian customs at the Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls, Ontario, this afternoon and were only asked if we had any weapons or firearms. We weren't asked about fresh produce, or proof of insurance, or vehicle proof of ownership.

Still, it's wise to have proof of insurance and proof of the right to use the borrowed trailer because you can never tell precisely what will be asked for, particularly when returning to the U.S. In our experience, U.S. customs agents do not have a sense of humor or very much patience. Unlike the Canadians, our customs officials, for the most part, appear to be typical self-important government employees who seem to enjoy exercising their authority for no particular reason.

From the 14th floor of the Marriott overlooking both the Horseshoe and American falls. Nice!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 PM
MTS

[QUOTE=Arion;200863] Unlike the Canadians, our customs officials, for the most part, appear to be typical self-important government employees who seem to enjoy exercising their authority for no particular reason.

I don't agree! Its the same on both sides, luck of the draw! Some are bad- badder-and dumbest-ego trip!

Some are pretty decent.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
...Have a great trip and check your insurance most do not cover you out side the US.
Don't believe this is correct, UNLESS you specify Mexico and points south.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 AM

Instead of starting another thread...

My buddy and I are planning a 2-week trip up through the Great Lakes and north into Canada this coming September. We're planning on camping most nights. Because of that, we're seriously considering bringing long guns (my buddy wants to bring a .22LR camping rifle, and I'm thinking of bringing a 12ga with a folding stock) in case we run into any unfriendly critters in the wilderness.

Does anybody have any good online resources for the paperwork and how to file? Also, I can't seem to find a solid definition of "long guns" for this purpose. Most sites seem to define it the same as rifles/shotguns in the USA that don't need to be registered as handguns (i.e., barrel min 18.5", overall length min 27", etc). I had a 18.5" barrel Mossberg 500 12ga with a pistol-grip that met that standard, and it was hardly useful for shooting critters.

Should I just visit the local Canadian consulate here in Philly? BTW, I'm a federal police sergeant, with a military police background and 13 years as a firearms instructor, so we know how to transport and use firearms safely. I just want to make sure I don't show up at the border with something I can't take across.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
discharge those guns in Canada in a non hunting/unlicensed scenario. bring bail money if you shoot an animal or bird unlicensed and out of season, kiss your life goodby if you shoot at the human species. expect to waste a good part of your vacation if those guns come up missing.

if you still insist, start here.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm
Sounds very similar to NZ, suppose Canada is a commonwealth country like NZ so probably similar rules. It would be kiss your life here to if you discharged a firearm at a human species.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 AM

In the many cross-border encounters I've had throughout my life, I've had the most issue (I wouldn't call it trouble) re-entering the US after traveling abroad. One exception was East Germany, which I visited on a 24-hour tourist visa before the fall of the Wall...that was something.

I've had no issues entering Canada on a motorcycle or in a cage. Have your documents in order, including ownership of that trailer and proof of insurance. Be courteous, answer questions honestly and don't offer more information than is requested. A friend and former RCMP told me that once they scan your passport they know the answers to most of the questions they'll ask (where you're a citizen, where you reside, who owns the car you're in, when you were last in Canada, etc.). Once you tell them anything untrue or misleading, anything else you say is suspect...that's when things become difficult.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Garage
Guns and gun use is way more restricted in Canada than what most Americans will be used to. There are a ton of laws around everything from how you transport a fire arm (with a key lock on the trigger, in a case, unloaded, and hidden from sight) to when and where you can legally discharge a fire arm (very, very, restrictive). Unless someone is visiting a remote region (Arctic) where they may need protection from wildlife, or coming for the express purpose of hunting and have made arrangements to obtain a hunting license, I would not bring a gun, it will be more hassle than it is worth. Also you need a special permit in order to by ammunition, so you will not be able to purchase it locally.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-25-2012 at 09:39 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all the info guys. We are going to the great lakes.. Northern Michigan mostly, renting a cabin for 6 days or so. Taking the Versys and the KLR 650 to do some riding and sight seeing.

I'll have to get with my buddy after the holiday weekend and see if he's ok with me taking his trailer to Canada and if he's ok with supplying the trailer documentation.

Thanks again for the great info....

Just saw that there is some good OHV trails up there too. Could load up the dirt bikes in the back of the truck and trailer the street bikes!!

Sean

2011 Versys
2008 KTM 200xc-w
2012 KLR650 (wife's)
2005 CRF230 (wife's)
2007 KX 100 (daughter's)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
having traveled Canada for 50 years, including countless trips into the bush, i advise you to leave the guns at home. unless you're going to the arctic ocean coast (no roads) and need a bear gun, you won't need them (a 22LR is useless anyway). want to see some paperwork?, discharge those guns in Canada in a non hunting/unlicensed scenario. bring bail money if you shoot an animal or bird unlicensed and out of season, kiss your life goodby if you shoot at the human species. expect to waste a good part of your vacation if those guns come up missing.

if you still insist, start here.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm

All good points. I keep forgetting that - although it more closely resembles the USA's western wilderness - Canada is more like Europe when it comes to gun laws. And even if we were ok with the long guns in the remote areas and riding up to James Bay, I'm concerned how we would be treated if we get stopped and subsequently searched in one of the larger cities. We plan to spend a night or two in Montreal, and I'm guessing a shotgun in a duffel bag on the bike would not be received well.

Would I get a hassle at the border with a utilitarian-looking tomahawk? It would be packed in with camping gear, so as to be construed as a tool, rather than a close-quarters weapon. It's just that I was raised a city boy - I know how to avoid dangerous situations in urban environments - but I still get a little nervous about wolverines and badgers getting into my tent while I'm sleeping and trying to eat my face.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo12 View Post
...It's just that I was raised a city boy - I know how to avoid dangerous situations in urban environments - but I still get a little nervous about wolverines and badgers getting into my tent while I'm sleeping and trying to eat my face.
IF you were a GIRL, you might have to worry about the great Canadian tent-snakes.

'Course that could lead to eating SOMETHING....

INCIDENTALLY, as a western Canadian, I live in bear country, and have hunted and camped in the Rockies. I don't worry TOO much about getting eaten by badgers or wolverines (which isn't to say that it COULDN'T happen...)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode