Riding in the Rain - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Riding in the Rain

So this isn't a Versys specific question, but the regulars on this forum seem like a pretty experienced bunch with lots of miles in all sorts of conditions.

So here's my question: Just got back from a short ride in the rain and struggled a bit with visibility. Lots of raindrops on the face shield of the helmet make it tough to see. So how do folks deal with it? I was thinking something like RainX might help, but was wondering how other riders fixed the issue. I tried wiping the shield with a gloved hand, but that was pretty useless. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

“A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.”
― Tom Waits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Garage
I've used Rain-X for years.Works great.Some say its yellows the shield but i've had no issues. Some just wax the shield or use pledge

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Anything you put on the shield to repel rain will work great for a while and wear off eventually.

I've had mixed results with RainX. I put on my shield before a 400 mile ride in pouring rain. It was useless inside an hour.

I clean my shield with plastic cleaner like Novus and that helps repel water, for a while anyway.

Wiping with a gloved hand is fine as long as your glove has one of those rubber wipers on the left index finger. Held gloves have that and I expect other brands do, too. My experience riding in the rain has lead me NOT to wipe the shield as it just tends to smear.

My advice is to slow down when you have reduced visibility.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Garage
There is a finger squeegee on the market. Slips over your glove finger, works pretty well. I have a pair of Firstgear gauntlet gloves with a rubber bar on the left index finger that does a pretty good job. Rain is a pain.

Ride while you can
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM
NYG

For a temporary solution, turn your head to one side and then the other--the wind should push the rain off the face shield. It's a decent alternative to the glove swipe as it leaves no streaking nor scuffing.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 PM

If you have a 2011 Versys with the stock windshield in the stock position try this:

Lean forward on the tank and look up through the windshield. At 35+ MPH the rain droplets will be pushed straight down your face shield from the airflow. Works really well in light to moderate rain. Sit back and keep going and repeat as necessary. The airflow coming off the the windshield creates a down draft in the area between the dash and the slope of the tank.

I use Endust on my visors also. I tried Pledge but the Endust lasted a bit longer.

"Why do I ride?"

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Stop and wait the rain out
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Stop and wait the rain out
No way... Love riding in the rain. As for me... I just bear with it... Looking around and through the raindrops... Shifting my line of sight as the raindrops shift their positions.
I find fogging of the visor MUCH more trouble than rain... I don't find rain a problem at all.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM

^^^ This
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM

This may be of interest: http://bolty.net/2009/01/02/howto-ma...isor-squeegee/

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
For a temporary solution, turn your head to one side and then the other--the wind should push the rain off the face shield. It's a decent alternative to the glove swipe as it leaves no streaking nor scuffing.
This is all it takes (as long as your going 35mph+). Just slightly turinging your head while keeping your eyes focused on the road (Turn head left, turn eyes right) should push all the water away!

Hopefully your not riding in rain for more than 2 or 3 hours though.

This approach worekd for me in a severe downpour for about 3 hours, mainly highway.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM

There is an old trick in case of emergency: rub some tobacco from a cigarette on your visor (or a car windshield) and it will help run water down the glass.

I like Held gloves witch have a rubber wiper on the left index finger. It's effective but it gets tiresome running your hand over the visor all the time.
Speed will clear the water nicely but you need good tires and smooth throttle control in the wet.
Pinlock inserts are great against fogging of the visor.
Passing trucks is the worst so plan ahead. They trow a lot of spray directly at your head and it can blind you at critical moment.

In rain conditions visibility is the most limiting aspect. At one point you'll need to park it.
Around here when it rains it gets cold no matter the season. When you are dry and warm you realize the expensive gear is worth it.

Last edited by Ivan V; 05-24-2012 at 08:28 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
My advice is to slow down when you have reduced visibility.
Have found at times in rain if you go to slow that your visor does not clear the rain and a bit of safe speed does help with extra wind velocity to clear rain off visor.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Have found at times in rain if you go to slow that your visor does not clear the rain and a bit of safe speed does help with extra wind velocity to clear rain off visor.

I agree.
When I ride slowly I feel insecure and unfocused.
With decent tires you don't have to slow down much in the wet. Just watch out for standing water (aquaplaning) and painted lines and be smooth on the throttle/brakes.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM

What's this "rain" thing you are all talking about?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Its the wet stuff that falls out of the sky
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
...said the member from Seattle!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Nikwax Visor Proof is the best I have used in 30,000 rain miles....

Dan
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Its the wet stuff that falls out of the sky
Oh ya. So that's what it was. That happened to me last year.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
...said the member from Seattle!
Even though I ride in the stuff quite a lot it's mostly on my other bike which has a large windshield that comes up to about chin level. That creates a nice downdraft that sucks all the water off my visor so I rarely have a problem. When on the Versys it is a pain as I'm constantly having to wipe it off in order to see anything. Will have to try tucking down as mentioned above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode