Is this typical? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Is this typical?

On my first post, I mentioned a recent trip I made from Albuquerque, NM, to Flagstaff, AZ, round trip. I was following a rather ambitious fellow on his BMW GS1200 Adventure bike. He likes to move along pretty quickly, so we averaged, for the most part, about 85 mph plus for the whole trip. There were considerable cross winds, as well as interstate, trucks, and the like to deal with. Not my favorite kind of riding. Anyway, on that trip, my gas mileage averaged between 43 and 46 mpg.

Today I took a ride with another friend of mine, to Jemez Springs, NM, for breakfast. We rode at a more sensible, and desirable pace of 65 to 75 mph for the most part. It wasn't a long ride, but long enough to check my gas mileage at my typical riding speeds.

When I filled the tank after returning, I used the same method as before: bike was level as possible, and filled up to the bottom of the filler tube. The odometer read 119.8 miles, and I used 2.056 gallons. That works out to a little over 58 mpg. That would give me about 290 miles per tank of gas, if I rode till she ran out. Pretty impressive. Is this typical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM

Whenever you achieve ludicris speed fuel consumption will drop ....I think the grin is causing too much wind resistance

45 mpg when having fun
55 when being good

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 05-23-2012 at 08:35 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, you're right about that. Actually, I don't think I phrased my question correctly: Is 58 mpg at normal highway speeds typical?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM

DAMN!! I wish I could get 58 MPG!! I average 45 and that is at an average speed of 55-65
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I guess that's the source of my confusion. I've seen guys on this forum claim everything from mid 40's to 60mpg, so I'm kinda wondering what most people are getting. To tell you the truth, even 45 mpg is fine. With a 5 gallon tank, I'm pretty assured at getting over 200 miles per tankful. Even though I stop much more often than that (rest stops, picture taking, etc.) it's nice to know I have more control over where and when I have to get gas.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xootrx View Post
I guess that's the source of my confusion. I've seen guys on this forum claim everything from mid 40's to 60mpg, so I'm kinda wondering what most people are getting. To tell you the truth, even 45 mpg is fine. With a 5 gallon tank, I'm pretty assured at getting over 200 miles per tankful. Even though I stop much more often than that (rest stops, picture taking, etc.) it's nice to know I have more control over where and when I have to get gas.
There are so many variables that you will see big differences from person to person. A person that weighs 250 vs 150 is a extra 100pds. On a sub 500pd bike that is a 20% increase in weight. Plus how hard you accelerate, or how fast you ride.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 AM

58 miles per US gallon is excellent. I get about the same at such constant moderate speeds, as does fasteddiecoppeman... Are you absolutely sure you refilled it to exactly as full as it was before? A mere 2.056 US gallons and only 119.8 miles is a very small quantity to reliably calculate fuel mileage with any appreciable level of accuracy.

Last edited by invader; 05-23-2012 at 01:37 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Never run it until you're completely out of gasoline. Letting the fuel pump run dry and ingest any air can be highly detrimental to it and greatly reduce its service life.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM
MTS

Just my two cents. Tire pressure may come into play for max MPG. With the stock tires still on, I run a little less air and enjoy the smooth ride. I think that alone could be + or- 8 MPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
58 miles per US gallon is excellent. I get about the same at such constant moderate speeds, as does fasteddiecoppeman... Are you absolutely sure you refilled it to exactly as full as it was before? A mere 2.056 US gallons and only 119.8 miles is a very small quantity to reliably calculate fuel mileage with any appreciable level of accuracy.
Of course I can't be absolutely sure about anything. I can only get things as close as eyeballing can get them. But I tried to duplicate the conditions as much as I could. And you're right, only a couple of gallons doesn't establish anything concrete.

I'm certain once the season progresses, I'll be able to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I usually take an average of what I get over the course of an entire trip, because so many things affect gas mileage. But being so new to this bike, I wanted to get the opinions of those who have more experience with it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xootrx View Post
Well, you're right about that. Actually, I don't think I phrased my question correctly: Is 58 mpg at normal highway speeds typical?
My '08 in Phoenix gets pretty much high-50s, and my '09 in BC, for the last two fills, has averaged 57 to 58 MPG/US.

I MIGHT 'push' the speed limit a bit, but I try not to "fracture" it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM

I've heard reports that it was capable of up to 65MPG if cruising at around 80kph.

My personal best was 63MPG, riding about 40% back roads (70 to 90 kph) and the rest of 60% was my normal city commute. I get 55MPG on city commute, typical.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 AM

There are lots of friction points in play when the bike is moving, beyond just the tires: wheel bearings, chain and sprockets, and brake pads on discs, for example. These all can have an impact on fuel efficiency, as well as the general state of tune of the engine. Road surface, wind, ambient temperature and riding style are other factors. It's probably more meaningful to establish a baseline for your own machine, so that if you find a dropoff in fuel economy you can search for the reasons why. In general, the 650 is a pretty fuel-efficient engine (judging by what people are reporting on the forums), but not as frugal as BMW's 800cc engine, and way off the new Honda 700cc parallel twin.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 AM

I keep fuel use stats for business. I fill up every time and track where I fill up, miles since last fill up, gallons to fill, cost per gallon, total cost, MPG and cost per mile. The location of fill up is the coolest thing to track...fun to remember the places I've gone.

With all that data over 18,000 miles, my Versys has averaged low 50's. I've managed high 50's on a couple tanks when traveling with friends who prefer a less enthusiastic pace. On the occasions when I've had to hit slab for long distances, fuel economy drops significantly, down to the mid 40's.

For comparison, over 71,000 miles, my ST1300 has averaged low 40's, rarely going below 40 (typically when it's very cold) and occasionally going into the high 40's (mostly in places where there is no alcohol added to the gasoline).

With both bikes, I can confidently conclude that enthusiasm with your right hand hurts fuel economy.

YMMV (Hey...that's funny!)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM

On the 2009 I recently purchased with 2,550 miles on the clock I've filled up three times... I realize there will be a slight variation on how "full" I fill the tank, but that will average out...
1st time: 54 MPG
2nd time: 50 MPG
3rd time: 52.5 MPG
Combination of traffic lights through the town & cruising about 60-65 MPH
on my 20 mile commute to work.

I like this bike more every time I ride it. Just installed the v46 Givi topcase & the Givi v35 sidecases are at my feet in the living room. Hopefully I can get them installed this weekend....
Ride safe everyone,
gary
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Best mpg I've ever attained on the Versys is 61 mpg. I think 58 mpg at 65 mph is about what I get every time. Worst I've ever had was loaded down, and into a headwind: 48 mpg.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Fuelly.com is a free website where you can track mileage of all your vehicles, and also get a comparison to see yours vice others. Last time I looked, there were 38 or so Kawasaki Versys on there. You can put your fillup in when you get home (what I do) or enter it right on your smartphone at the station. Very handy. (I have no affiliation with this website, just an end-user.)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM

I never average more than 46, but I'm at low elevation and have a problem with my right hand.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Well, I guess we nailed that one down. Anywhere from 45 mpg to 65 mpg. I just stop at least every 200 miles and try not to worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode