Neglected pawn shop '08 (another price check thread) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Neglected pawn shop '08 (another price check thread)

The local pawn shop has had an '08 Versys sitting outside their store uncovered for at least a year now. When he first put it out there it was in good condition, now not so much. There's some amount of corrosion on everything. Plastic is fading. I imagine the inside of the swingarm is a mess. Tires are original and in good condition(tread wise, didn't look close for cracking/rotting), I think it's fairly low mileage. The thing never moves and the keyhole is covered in a thick layer of dust, so I think it is rarely started.

My buddy was talking about buying it. I'm telling him stories that it's gonna need a good tear down, cleaning, and greasing, parts replacements (cables, chain, possibly some seals) and there's probably a good chance of electrical gremlins. Am I wrong there? What else would you consider when looking at a neglected bike?

My current opinion is that I'd only consider it at a cheap price, like in the $2K's.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90

Last edited by craigercj; 05-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM

What happens inside a motor that has been sitting around is the bad part. I doubt it was put away properly. It's been neglected for a year at the pawn shop and for who knows how long before that. What does the oil look like? Corrosion inside? Clogged injectors? A leak down test is the order of the day here but the pawn shop would never let you perform one. I would not pay anywhere near the market rate for that bike but the Versys is reliable and with a new battery will most likely start up first try. Unless the answer is "I don't know", asking the shop owner questions will only get you lies. In the 2K's is about right.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Bike has 900 miles. Oil is pitch black, probably original, metal bits and all. He started it and revved it to 8 grand first thing

He wants 3500. I steered my buddy away.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90

Last edited by craigercj; 05-22-2012 at 06:43 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
MTS

One year outside, then I look to see where you are from? Texas! Sun heat! It may not look pretty but it may be ok after one year?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM

IBA # 49372
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
The local pawn shop has had an '08 Versys sitting outside their store uncovered for at least a year now. When he first put it out there it was in good condition, now not so much. There's some amount of corrosion on everything. Plastic is fading. I imagine the inside of the swingarm is a mess. Tires are original and in good condition(tread wise, didn't look close for cracking/rotting), I think it's fairly low mileage. The thing never moves and the keyhole is covered in a thick layer of dust, so I think it is rarely started.

My buddy was talking about buying it. I'm telling him stories that it's gonna need a good tear down, cleaning, and greasing, parts replacements (cables, chain, possibly some seals) and there's probably a good chance of electrical gremlins. Am I wrong there? What else would you consider when looking at a neglected bike?

My current opinion is that I'd only consider it at a cheap price, like in the $2K's.
I try and use a cover but my bike has never been indoors, I don't have a garage. No issues besides cosmetic leaving it outside and those can be easily fixed. I would be more concerned it has not been ridden or started in a year. Battery is probably toast, chain is rusted and probably needs replacement. If you can get it for $3000-$3300 it may be a great deal with only 900 miles.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-23-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode