What do you guys think? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys think?

I have a few questions and or thoughts and I figured why not group them instead of writing seperate threads.

First I am fairly new to riding I have a little over a year experience street riding so I am not sure what the ettiquette is but when you stop for gas do you remove your helmet if you have to go inside to pay? I ask because sometimes I have to fill up in the morning on my way to work and end up pressed for time. I politely asked this morning and was rudely told I was not allowed to wear it inside. Is this a law? Or a store preference? I stop at this particular station two to three times a week.

I made the switch to full synthetic oil for the V yesterday and as I was shopping for the filter I noticed Purelator has a filter specifically for synthetic oil. Do you guys think it matters? I went with the not synthetic filter as I am not sure it matters?

I was really impressed with the V this morning! I am not sure if it is the fresh oil change or the fact it is running synthetic but the performance was greatly noticable! Has anyone else noticed this? I went with Castrol RS 10W40. I had not noticed until I had got home that it was advertised as a racing/performance oil will this oil have the longevity of standard oil? I plan on going with a 6,000 to 7,000 interval on oil changes. I know some of you prefer to change oil sooner, however I am a believer in technology has come a long way in motor oil and engine manufacturing and believe it is a waste to change oil sooner.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrugger View Post
First I am fairly new to riding I have a little over a year experience street riding so I am not sure what the ettiquette is but when you stop for gas do you remove your helmet if you have to go inside to pay?

I made the switch to full synthetic oil for the V yesterday and as I was shopping for the filter I noticed Purelator has a filter specifically for synthetic oil. Do you guys think it matters? I went with the not synthetic filter as I am not sure it matters?

I was really impressed with the V this morning! I am not sure if it is the fresh oil change or the fact it is running synthetic but the performance was greatly noticable! Has anyone else noticed this? I went with Castrol RS 10W40. I had not noticed until I had got home that it was advertised as a racing/performance oil will this oil have the longevity of standard oil? I plan on going with a 6,000 to 7,000 interval on oil changes. I know some of you prefer to change oil sooner, however I am a believer in technology has come a long way in motor oil and engine manufacturing and believe it is a waste to change oil sooner.

Thanks for your input.
I've never had an issue going into stations with my helmet on. As long as you don't intentionally try and appear threatening. Some places with a history of robberies may be a little sensitive to people walking in with their faces covered (security camera purposes). I'd say it's up to store policy.

I don't think the different filter matters. I've run Purolator Pure Ones and am now on a Bosch Distance Plus. I do believe in buying the best stuff, so long as the price isn't ridiculous. I don't do changes that often, so I would still probably go for the more premium filter. They're really not that expensive.

I notice a big performance increase going from high elevation (6,000+) to sea level. Feels more powerful for sure. Other than that, there's not a lot that would suddenly make your bike seem faster. Oil changes certainly have a placebo effect of some sort. It is possibly you got some gas that was a tiny bit different in formulation than your last batch, but I doubt you'd notice it. Also, the oil you selected it just fine and can certainly go the distance. I'm currently using the Mobil 1 "Racing" 4T, but I know it's a high quality oil that can also go the distance. I was a little paranoid about changing my oil early and often when I got my 2012 V new, but I've since calmed down and will extend my interval to about 5,000 miles. As you said, there is no need for 2-3,000 mile changes. Oil technology is far more advanced now that it has ever been, and you have nothing to worry about running a good full synthetic.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles

Last edited by Sykes; 05-21-2012 at 09:25 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM

I think you think too much. JUST KIDDING!! Oil changes always make bikes faster. And if you don't ride for a couple of weeks, the Versys will seem like a rocket when you do ride. Cheers!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I've never had an issue going into stations with my helmet on. As long as you don't intentionally try and appear threatening. Some places with a history of robberies may be a little sensitive to people walking in with their faces covered (security camera purposes). I'd say it's up to store policy.

I don't think the different filter matters. I've run Purolator Pure Ones and am now on a Bosch Distance Plus. I do believe in buying the best stuff, so long as the price isn't ridiculous. I don't do changes that often, so I would still probably go for the more premium filter. They're really not that expensive.

I notice a big performance increase going from high elevation (6,000+) to sea level. Feels more powerful for sure. Other than that, there's not a lot that would suddenly make your bike seem faster. Oil changes certainly have a placebo effect of some sort. It is possibly you got some gas that was a tiny bit different in formulation than your last batch, but I doubt you'd notice it. Also, the oil you selected it just fine and can certainly go the distance. I'm currently using the Mobil 1 "Racing" 4T, but I know it's a high quality oil that can also go the distance. I was a little paranoid about changing my oil early and often when I got my 2012 V new, but I've since calmed down and will extend my interval to about 5,000 miles. As you said, there is no need for 2-3,000 mile changes. Oil technology is far more advanced now that it has ever been, and you have nothing to worry about running a good full synthetic.
I can understand the fear, but I use a pre-fuel card that has my driver liscense info linked to it, and I am there often. I can respect wishes, I was just surprised at the reaction I recieved to the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I think you think too much. JUST KIDDING!! Oil changes always make bikes faster. And if you don't ride for a couple of weeks, the Versys will seem like a rocket when you do ride. Cheers!
I ride M-F for a daily round trip of 80 miles, so I would notice any changes as they happen. I do think a lot, 80 miles leaves a long time to ponder things.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 AM

I usually removed my helmet and some stores do not even allow hand carry helmets. On gas stations, I usually pay with the Credit Card on the pump itself, and these pumps don't complain about me wearing on the helmet

I do find fresh good quality oil will give you that better throttle response. If you were using a heavier grade oil like a 20W50, then it would probably feel more powerful with a 10W40 right off after changing. I am using Motul H-Tech 100 10W40 Fully Synthetic and find that as a fully synthetic oil, it is durable and have consistent performance over longer mileage. The moment the engine sounds harsher, it's time to change the oil for me.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 AM

As far as helmet in gas station I have done it a few times with no problem ,but I usually have cash or my CC in hand. Don't try it at a bank though

As far as filters they are all made of paper in side so they are all the same. Unless you buy a reusable oil filter like Scottoiler filter then you wash it out with solvent or brake clean and put it back in. They are 10 times more expensive then a regular filter

As for oil changes I think it is a placebo effect at a job well done. I can point you to countless quote on how this or that oil made their bike run better shift smoother. Rotella T6 5w-40 is one of these magic oils. The only thing I like about it is that it cost 21.96 a gallon at Walmart and it's synthetic
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM

My wife used to work at Revco (now CVS) when she was a teen. A guy came in with a full face helmet and was acting weird. They knew for sure they were getting robbed. Finally after the guy walked the store appearing to make sure no customers were in there, he approached the clerk and placed a box of condoms on the counter. Talk about a relief.

Never had an issue carrying a helmet or wearing one inside to pay in my 24 years of riding. Now, I pay at the pump!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM

I always remove my helmet when going in a store. I don't want to be mistaken for a robber. My bank actually has a sign on the door saying it is required. It is a pain, but such is the culture in the U.S.. Motorcycling is uncommon as just transportation, and there is an American motorcycle company that encourages the outlaw image of motorcyclists. So I understand why we would be looked at with suspiscion.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greidel View Post
IMy bank actually has a sign on the door saying it is required.
My bank has a sign that asks to remove hats and sunglasses (not helmets specifically). I am the kind who likes to test the system so I always wear my ball cap and my transition prescription glasses (still dark from being outside) and have never been asked to remove them. Signs are often posted to politely ask for something to be done, doesn't mean you must (Except for firearms - to stay legal). Most sheep will comply simply by being asked to do so.

Ironically, I have read many stories of bank robbers who comply with the most obsurd requests by employees, likely because their adrenaline is pumping and their brain is not thinking straight. I read recently that a teller said she needed ID before handing over the money and the robber pulled it out and forgot it when he ran.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Usually I pay at the pump, but I also wear a modular helmet. This way, you could just flip the front of the helmet open to expose your face without removing your helmet.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Signs are often posted to politely ask for something to be done, doesn't mean you must (Except for firearms - to stay legal). Most sheep will comply simply by being asked to do so.
Yes, they politely ask, and I politely comply. Because I want to do business wth them, it's their shop, and my mother taught me manners. So that makes me a sheep?
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
Usually I pay at the pump, but I also wear a modular helmet. This way, you could just flip the front of the helmet open to expose your face without removing your helmet.
Me TOO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greidel View Post
Yes, they politely ask, and I politely comply. Because I want to do business wth them, it's their shop, and my mother taught me manners.
Not trying to be a butt here...Really!

If a place of business wants my money, they will cater to me, not the other way around. I am happy to take my money elsewhere where there are no stupid "company policies". Too many people in this country do things just because they are asked and give it no more thought about why or if it is rediculous.

A motorcyclist should not be inconvenienced by the required removing of a helmet to pay for gas? Think about it for a moment... This is similar gun free zones. Do you think a criminal is going to comply with a sign? Nope! Only the polite folks such as yourself and sometimes me.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM

I agree to a certain extent. If I am at the pump, I'll leave my helmet on.

If I happen to have to go in for other purchases, I'll take my helmet off. It is a courtesy that I want to extend... kind of like not talking on the phone while I'm at the counter. I want to be able to look someone in the eye and have a conversation. A helmet obstructs my ability to do so. Plus, I am concerned for the store's sensitivities. They may have had robberies where someone wore a mask - or a helmet. They need to have that peace of mind and I don't mind giving it to them.

Is it inconvenient? If you consider taking 10 seconds to remove your helmet an inconvenience, yes. I just think it is common courtesy.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Having once worked for a bank, I appreciate the anxiety created when someone walks into an establishment with his face (or hers) covered. I would not enter a store wearing a full face helmet.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Having once worked for a bank, I appreciate the anxiety created when someone walks into an establishment with his face (or hers) covered. I would not enter a store wearing a full face helmet.
I completely understand no MC helmet in a store or bank, but a gas station??? Their primary reason for existance is to sell gas for motorized vehicles and a helmet on a rider who just fueled up is quite logical.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I completely understand no MC helmet in a store or bank, but a gas station??? Their primary reason for existance is to sell gas for motorized vehicles and a helmet on a rider who just fueled up is quite logical.
I wouldn't wear a helmet into a gas station either. Any kind of establishment that collects money or stocks valuable assets has the potential to be robbed, and people doing the robbing have an incentive to be unidentifiable. Given the nature of laws enabling people to use deadly force when they feel their life or property are at risk, I'll take a couple seconds and remove my helmet.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
MTS

First of all before going into an establishment I want to make sure I am CCW. If it is posted I stay far away from it.
The money is were the violent act will happen. If something goes wrong I want to be able to fast draw and take the person-persons out as fast as possible!

I perfer to have my helmet on.

I believe the V is one of the best bikes, for the money!

I don't know a thing about oil filters.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
First of all before going into an establishment I want to make sure I am CCW.
Check.

Quote:
If it is posted I stay far away from it.
Check.

Quote:
I perfer to have my helmet on.
Check. (Pretty obvious if you have been following this thread)

Quote:
I believe the V is one of the best bikes, for the money!
Check.

Quote:
I don't know a thing about oil filters.
Me either. That's why I use OEM.

I guess I need to work an my mullet!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Its not just a couple of seconds, in all reality. I split between paying at the pump and using cash. I try to use cash whenever possible for budgeting reasons. I kind of feel that since I pre fueled and had to use their prefuel card that is linked to my driver liscense to turn the pump on in the first place I should be able to walk in wearing my helmet with no issues. I may talk to the manager and see what he/she has to say. I get 99% of my fuel from them. They also have a walk up bank teller type window, but I was told they do not use it. Maybe its time they start..

As far as my oil change I am not saying all of a sudden I could not keep the front wheel on the ground, I am just saying it definatley had a little more get up and go. And just felt better all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode