Kid's first ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Kid's first ride

This is something I've been looking forward to doing for a while, taking my son for his first ride on my motorcycle. He's almost 8, and he's already 4'8", so he's big enough. He decided he was ready. So to start I just bought him a helmet and gloves. (looks like I'm buying a jacket soon now too!)

Monday was his first ride. We started out just going for a slow ride for about 15 minutes around the neighborhood. He got used to it pretty quick, he didn't want to get off. Yesterday he asked if we could take the bike to his swimming lesson. I'm not taking him on any major roads anytime soon. But, we could easily get to the pool without going on any busy, fast roads. So off we went again. After his swimming we stopped by Timmie's for a treat, then back home again. Again, easily avoiding major roads. He was so excited to go to Timmie's just to be able to be on the bike for a few minutes longer. I've created a monster...he loves it!!!

I think I might have to be a little late for work a couple of mornings before school is out. It's so much cooler showing up at school on Dad's motorcycle than the school bus! ;D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0401.jpg (58.5 KB, 151 views)

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Thats pretty cool
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM
DR_

Cool... My 3 year old boy really likes dad's motorcycles but he has to make due with riding on the ATV's for now.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Nice

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM

Good to hear. My daughter is almost 11 and she has been riding with me since she was 8.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM

My son is 6 1/2 and he did already 2 small runs.... he loves it, didn't want to go back home

I borrowed children's riding belt from a friend and it is really nice.... so last week I ordered it, waiting to get it tomorrow or Friday, hopefully in time for this beautiful weekend.

here is the link for this belt ( I'm just a customer with them, don't know them)
http://www.t-jridingbelts.net/id2.html

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
My son is 6 1/2 and he did already 2 small runs.... he loves it, didn't want to go back home

I borrowed children's riding belt from a friend and it is really nice.... so last week I ordered it, waiting to get it tomorrow or Friday, hopefully in time for this beautiful weekend.

here is the link for this belt ( I'm just a customer with them, don't know them)
http://www.t-jridingbelts.net/id2.html
Glad you are enjoying the rides with your son. Riding harnesses are great if nothing happens. It should keep him from falling off should he fall asleep.

Something to think about is what if? If you are involved in a wreck (I know you don't want to think about it, trust me, I have done some soul searching on the subject), do you want him tied to you if you could be sliding on top of him or rolling with him attached to you? I decided to not harness to my daughter for this reason.

My daughter was on a long ride when she was younger (8 year old) and fell asleep. I found out when I went to stop at a red light and her head hit my back. I made the decision to keep my rides with her under 10-15 minutes and harness free.

I completely respect your decision for a harness and applaud your reasoning. I just wanted to offer a thought of the downside of a harness. Please don't feel like I am bashing you!

and many happy miles to you and your boy!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 PM

right now I'm more concerned about not knowing how to stay on the bike and not having enough force to keep himself on the good position. I'll take him on short rides until he's getting older.

Versys 2015 Green
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 PM

IMO it is all about age and attention appropriate. Your spouse has to be on board and you have to be more careful than usual.

Last summer, my youngest of three (then 11) wanted to ride to grandma's in south Charlotte. We live in Chicago. Camped along the way, rode the Dragon, BRP, and Cherohala. We road some super slab on south 57 getting out of IL. With that heat and boredom, I found myself constantly checking to see that he was still awake. His experience was MANY 1 hr rides. Also an overnight trip to the Iowa bluffs (about 4 hours ridng each day). Ride report from that trip: http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/p/oct...with-evan.html

All in incremental stages! He showed himself to be very low maintenance.

Of course, the story has a happy ending and we loved the ride there. Coming home, he had the choice of the minivan with his mom and brothers, but chose to stay on the bike for the ride.

My advice is all in small steps. All a little at a time.

Here is a pic from the dragon. No gloves on here (long story ....)

BTW, you can see the fishing pole on the bike. Diversions at the campground!

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:

Last edited by alekkas; 05-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
right now I'm more concerned about not knowing how to stay on the bike and not having enough force to keep himself on the good position. I'll take him on short rides until he's getting older.
I completely understand!! Safe Travels!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-17-2012 at 02:53 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post

BTW, you can see the fishing pole on the bike. Diversions at the campground!
Looks like you had some great time together..
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Awesome! I can't wait to take my daughter on a ride...although she is only 2 months old right now.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Glad to see there's lots of others getting to share the ride with kids! I also bought this belt for him:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete

He's big enough that I didn't really want him attached to me. So far this belt seems to work well. It fits easily over my jacket. The location of the grab handles gives him 2 options for holding on, either right in the middle, or out closer to my hips. With the topcase on there he's not going to go backwards off of it.

Like others have said, it's good to just take your time and get him used to it. It's not like just getting in a car, you have to learn how to be a passenger on a bike.

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for those "oldtimers" who've read my take on this before, but, here goes again.

When my boys were little - roughly 33 years ago!!! - I took them on rides from as young as 2 years old (in fact, my oldest boy was riding a Suzuki JR50 with [homemade] sidecar at 2 1/2 years). Besides FULL gear for them, I made a piece of seat-belt webbing into "stirrups" that looped over the seat and gave them a place to put their feet AND their weight, and put it over the seat IN FRONT of me. They rode encircled by my arms till around 6 or 7.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-18-2012 at 06:35 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM

OH what a great thread... I have a 10month old son and Im already chomping at the bit to get him on my bike. Its great to the options out there for harnesses and handles for the second rider. My wife and I went out for a ride last night. She had not been on the back of my bike for 2 years and she was wanting to know if there was a harness out there we could get. And with the newe bike laws in BC coming into effect at the end of the month we will need to move the pegs up for him in a few years.

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 AM

My son started riding behind me when he was 2.

He's now is big enough to ride his own motorcycle (for the last 27 years); he's 43.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorcycle history (000).jpg (69.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg motorcycle history (314).jpg (84.7 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by michael95453; 05-19-2012 at 10:48 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
My son started riding behind me when he was 2.

He's now is big enough to ride his own motorcycle (for the last 27 years); he's 43.

Michael
Neat pix.. You both have changed! So you are the reason he has the riding bug...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM

My daughters are 8 and 10 and love riding their own dirt bikes. They want to go for shoirt rides with me on my Versys soon and both easily reach the rear pegs.

I'm an ATGATT rider and wouldn't feel right being properly protected myself while my daughters only have on helmets and long pants. Maybe some child-sized motorcross-style gear would be ok for them for short rides. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to outfit your child when they ride with you?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I'm an ATGATT rider and wouldn't feel right being properly protected myself while my daughters only have on helmets and long pants. Maybe some child-sized motorcross-style gear would be ok for them for short rides. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to outfit your child when they ride with you?
Mine wore MX gear - padded leather pants, MX boots, gloves, helmets with faceshields.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode