Staying cool! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Staying cool!

Hi guys: I am sure there have been threads about this, but I'll ask again: how do you stay cool when riding in the summer months where it is hot AND relatively humid (Mid-west, East)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Being a ATGATT guy, I wear mesh. If I am still hot, I suck it up! Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM

I haven't dropped the dime yet, but I have several friends who use evaporative vests during the Texas summer and like them. The idea is simple: soak it in water, wring it out, and put it on beneath your jacket. The material retains some of the water between the inner and outer layers and provides cooling as the wind evaporates the water held in the vest. Friends say it works - up to several hours.

Google evaporative vests or check the Motorcycle Superstore http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...orative%20Vest.

Other popular retailers sell them as well. They range between $40 and $60. That's better than becoming dehydrated and passing out.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Garage
-Open my vents
-On hot days I put a camelback bladder in my tank bag

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
-Open my vents
-On hot days I put a camelback bladder in my tank bag
You put a camel's bladder in your tank bag!?!?! God, it must stink to high heaven. LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself - I misread it the first time through.

Arion

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
You put a camel's bladder in your tank bag!?!?! God, it must stink to high heaven. LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself - I misread it the first time through.
You get over the smell quick. But you dont get over the thought of haveing to drink it out of the "hose" ever....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Olympia Stealth One Piece Mesh Suit with a wetted Frogg Togg Chilly Pad tucked in around the neck for the long hauls... Short hauls... Two hours or thereabouts - ATGATT Jacket with all vents open with zipper 3/4 down.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 05-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Olympia AirGlide jacket and pants. While I haven't crash-tested the gear (I hope I never have to), it is quite comfortable and I have to believe it offers better protection than a t-shirt and jeans.

The only thing I wish was that I had a 3/4 length jacket, as I find the Airglide is a bit short on the back. That will be my next purchase...

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM

vents

I have a Hein Gericke jacket that has scoop vent intakes at the wrists and vents on the body. It literally inflates at speed and is the best jacket I've ever owned....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM

I have 365 days of summer heat. My riding jacket is Mesh, lots of ventilation. For long rides, I'll wear a sports type t-shirt in the inside. This T-shirt is cool to wear and doesn't store up heat like cotton t-shirts do.....soccer jerseys is probably the best description I can give. On each fuel stop, i'll wet up the t-shirt so that it does the evaporative action.

I also have a mesh riding pants, and it makes the ride more comfortable. Drink plenty of fluid, and I'll take a can of energy drink to restore my lost energy.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 AM

+1 on the evaporative vest. The thing just works! Sometimes too well, can get a little chilly in the late evening. AND...it's great to use in the winter when used dry.

The key thing with the vest is to use a mesh jacket or a jacket with very good vents. I have an Olympia Bushwacker (no longer made) and a Scorpion Cool Rod. I also have mesh pants and vented boots.

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Been raised in the tropics I can tell that evaporative vests or wearing a wet tshirt under a mesh jacket (the cheap alternative to evaporativ vests) will not work as well and might be just uncomfortable in very humid conditions.

I second 2daMax. A nylon and vented sport tshirt works well under a mesh jacket.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I haven't dropped the dime yet, but I have several friends who use evaporative vests during the Texas summer and like them. The idea is simple: soak it in water, wring it out, and put it on beneath your jacket. The material retains some of the water between the inner and outer layers and provides cooling as the wind evaporates the water held in the vest. Friends say it works - up to several hours....
I just soak my tee-shirt, then put it on under whatever jacket I'm wearing. Usually where I ride there are creeks around, so once it starts to dry out I stop, remove jacket and tee, re-soak the tee and put it back on. My experience is that I get 2 to 3 hours of "cool", and I've done this in 110F here in the Okanagan, which is reasonably dry.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Armored mesh! Best invention for living in Florida since AC.

Stow a rain jacket to wear over for the storms of summer.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
You get over the smell quick. But you dont get over the thought of haveing to drink it out of the "hose" ever....
Oh, God, what a thought!!

Arion

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&White View Post
Hi guys: I am sure there have been threads about this, but I'll ask again: how do you stay cool when riding in the summer months where it is hot AND relatively humid (Mid-west, East)?
If you're considering an evaporative vest, this might interest you. Got an e-mail from Cycle Gear offering their $49.99 BILT cooling vest on sale for $34.99 (even though their web page still lists it at the full price).

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...W549801W1221W2

Arion

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Open vents on jacket and try to keep moving.

If it gets really hot and the humidity isn't at 90+ I wet my underarmour shirt and go (I have 4 I mainly use for yardwork and riding). Also stay hydrated this is key. The more heat you have the more sweat you will have. I also wear just my overpants and skivvies during my rides when it is hot as my pants aren't mesh but have a vent and breathable panels in key areas. Don't worry guys I will never offer my overpants for sale.

Also try and find a shady road to ride home on. During the beastly summers in Maryland I avoid the highway and just take the backroads. Takes a bit longer but the fact that I have shade 95% of the way home makes up for it.

I actually prefer riding in the cold over the heat. I can always remove layers if I get too hot in the cold. Summer I'm stuck with what I am wearing for the most part and under my gear that is minimal decency.

"Why do I ride?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode