Nice Rack! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Nice Rack!

I just purchased a Renntec Sport Rack for my Versys and thought I'd share my impressions thus far.

To begin, I was looking for a rear luggage rack that was a little more functional (for me) than the racks built for the hard, top cases. By functional, I mean if you take the top case off your bike, it doesn't seem like you can do much with the mounting plate and it's not very stylish on it's own. Having said that, I fully understand it's purpose and I may end up getting one down the road. But for now, I thought the Renntec Sport Rack would best fit my needs.

The Renntec racks are made in the UK and I searched for a US retailer who sells them in order to save some $ on shipping. Well, I found one but unfortunately they never responded to my request for a shipping quote so they lost my business. Plus their pricing was about 30% more than if I bought it direct, which was probably to make up for the UK to US shipping costs. So I ended up buying the rack directly from the manufacturer, and I paid a pretty hefty cost for shipping, but they were very responsive to my emails and requests so they won my business.

So how's the rack? Very nice. It's definately a well built rack and the fit and finish of the welded components is very good. The only fitment issue I had was one of the mounting bolt holes was off by maybe 2mm, so I had to wrestle with it a little to get all the bolt threads started. It wasn't a big deal, but it's worth mentioning. The construction is very sturdy and I think it looks great on the bike.

As far as functionality goes, I pulled a Chase Harper Sport Trek Tail Trunk out of my inventory as I thought it would be the best bag to fit on the rack. I use the Versys to commute to work a lot (and I hate wearing backpacks) and I needed a bag to carry my lunch and stuff so the CH Tail Trunk was just the right size. Super easy to mount with the 4 built in bungees. However, on the minus side of the rack, the "sissy bar" part of the rack, which follows the shape of the seat, extends into the rack area a bit. This means the working area of the rack is not completey rectangular because of the "hump" in the sissy bar. It's not a big deal for the size of the bag I'm using, but it could present issues with larger bags.

But overall, I really like the rack and I think it will work well for my commuting duties as well as strapping down my tent and sleeping bag when I hit the road for a camping over-nighter.

And lastly, here is a pseudo-sales pitch. As some of you may know by my signature block, I have a business called Mark's MOTO GEAR. If there is enough interest in this rack, I'd be happy to put together a Group Buy. When I was inquiring about buying the rack I also asked them about becoming a dealer for Renntec. Their response was positive and I think they would work with me in getting a multiple unit order together. So if anyone is interested in a rack or engine guard for their Versys or other bikes, let me know and I'll see what we can do.
To see all their products, click here http://www.renntec.co.uk/sport_racks_carriers.html

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM

How about a picture with your bag on it?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Nice!

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Garage
How many steaks can fit on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
How about a picture with your bag on it?
I'll get one posted tomorrow...

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
How many steaks can fit on it.
LOL! One BIG-ASS steak for sure...

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 PM

Garage
Had one similar on my GS 1100L back in the 80's worked great.You could bungee tons of stuff on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 AM

I put a Renntec on my old Bandit 1200 and was it ever handy. I eventually installed a Givi universal mount on it and a Maxia 52 top box (I needed waterproof storage and it was a lot handier when I went to the store). So if you ever decide you want to put a trunk box on the bike, just install a universal mount onto the rack.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Any thoughts if this would work witht the SWMotech side racks?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM

just curious what seat you have?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM

I like the look of it and would be interested if you can mount a box to it. What kind of price range?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM

I'd want to grind off that horseshoe section sticking up at the back of the seat. That doesn't look to serve any purpose but get in the way.. But, I am interested in it...

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Dang. I saw the subject and thought there were going to be boobs.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM

wrong boobs
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Here's a few pics of my Chase Harper Tail Trunk mounted to the rack. The bag is just the right size for my insulated lunch bag, my day planner and a few other odds and ends. There are actually 4 permanently mounted bungee cords attached to the bag and can neatly be stored into a zippered bottom compartment when not in use. This set-up only needs 2 bungees though to secure the bag for my short 7 mile commute.

I paid @ $120.00 for the rack + shipping from the UK. If we get enough interest for a group buy, the price to you will be very similar to the $120 + the standard shipping cost from me to you. I will have more details in a few days.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
just curious what seat you have?
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles

Very happy with it.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Any thoughts if this would work witht the SWMotech side racks?
Not sure but I'll check with Renntec.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM

I would hope there was a design reason for it, but that protrusion is just terrible in my opinion.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I would hope there was a design reason for it, but that protrusion is just terrible in my opinion.
Yeah - I keep looking at it trying to figure it out, but can't for the life of me fin any (good) reason for it. It pushes the bag rearwards by a few inches, puts a pressure point on the bag, and seems to reduce the usable space on the rack by a considerable percentage.

Grind it off and continue the outer rack loop all the way around. That, I might buy...

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM

So what is the size of the USEFULL rack area?

When I say USEFULL, I mean past that sissy bar thing.

2007 Kawasaki Versys
2006 KTM 525EXC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode