436 miles 9 hours on my SC seat today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

436 miles 9 hours on my SC seat today

This is what I rode today to back-up my initial impressions of my Seat Concepts seat today. I have ZERO complaints. The seat just plain fits. Never broke down the foam one bit. The seat stayed as comfortable during the last 30 minutes of ride time as it did the first 30 minutes. The dimpled cover has plenty of traction and won't allow you to slide forward under heavy braking, though it will allow you to move if you get real aggessive while cornering.

The fit. The slight bucket hugs my posterior almost perfectly. It's about 2" wider than stock so it is more supportive and spreads the contact area. This cuts down of fatigue. The bucket slims up quick enough that it doesn't support you legs. This is a big plus in my book. Both my RDL and my Bill Mayer seats came too far forward with the bucket and made them uncomfortable. For my taste, I like the bucket to stop at the seam line between my arse and where my legs start. This is exactly where the buckets starts to narrow.

Because the seat has a slight bucket, it really holds you in one spot in a good sort of way. It doesn't make it so that you can't move, it just cradles you. The step-up provides some nice lower back support. My back is just fine after 9 hours in the saddle.

Since the seat narrows up like the factory seat, it allows me to stand up on the pegs without feeling funny. I stand a lot of the pegs to break up the monotony when I'm riding is a straight section of road, or encountering a really bumpy RR crossing. When I set back down I'm no wiggling around trying to get situated.

With the slope down to the tank gone it raises me up just enough that the peg lowering kit won't be needed. 9 hours in the saddle and my knees are just fine. I can't remember the last time I rode this long and didn't have some aching knees. I can still flat foot the bike at a stop, but just barely.

I know this seat isn't for everyone, but it is one of the best motorcycle seats I've ever sat. This one is a keeper and by far the best mod I could have made for it. I would like to ride with someone that has one of the Sargent seats just for comparison. It would be fun to ride a while then switch seats and ride a while longer.

Background: Dimpled seat cover with smooth sides. Firmer than standard foam. 290lbs suited up. 6'02" height with 32" inseam so I'm long torsoed and longer than normal reach. The seat to handlebar to peg relationship (ergo's) are the best of any motorcycle I've ever owned. I can't remember the last bike I didn't have to alter the ergo's like crazy to get them to work.

Last edited by ec90t; 05-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Did you install the cover yourself or send it to SC?
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 AM

The SC solution does seem to get good reviews and with a cost/benefit advantage (if you live in the States). What I've read on the Sargent hasn't been glowing so far and I'm starting to have doubts as to whether to buy or not. Plus I only have a seven day return option here in the UK for the Sargent, so it doesn't give too much time to decide if it's right or wrong. Guess I'll have to plan the arrival (when they are available) for maybe a week that I'm off work so I can get some serious miles covered.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versman View Post
Did you install the cover yourself or send it to SC?
I was going to install myself, but my pneumatic staple gun died, still waiting on parts to rebuild. I found a local upholsterer that did it for $25 so I'm good with that. He did a really nice job and commented on how well everything was made and shaped.
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 AM

I'm glad to read your post as I just ordered a kit yesterday. I got the +1 firmness foam as I like a harder saddle. I have yet to understand how Kawasaki can make such poor saddles across the board. The one on my KLR was too soft, narrow and crowned like a dirtbike saddle and would give you squrmmy butt after an hour or so. I put a Sargents on it. BUT I will say the V saddle is the worse I have ever sat on. A 200+ fuel range and a 20 min butt range don't work to me.

I may look for a shop that'll staple it on as was going to buy a staple gun for one time use and it maybe both cheaper and I'll no doubt get a better job by paying a pro to do it.

Glad you like your new saddle and wish I had a 400+ day yesterday.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Right on. Mine is on its way... All Carbon, with the 10% discount.

It's great and interesting that Seat Concepts who specialize in off-road bike seats, addressed our Versys as well, with excellent ergonomy engineering and seat cover choices, at a reasonable cost and without having to ship the pan back and forth.
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
I was going to install myself, but my pneumatic staple gun died, still waiting on parts to rebuild. I found a local upholsterer that did it for $25 so I'm good with that. He did a really nice job and commented on how well everything was made and shaped.
When you brought it to the upholsterer had you already removed the stock cover and pad?
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Great Seat Review - Thanks!

I would also be interested in hearing a review from "average sized' folks, with the standard Seat Concepts foam. I weight 175 lbs, 32" inseam.
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM

EC90T, thanks for the great review!

Between reading that someone sent their Sargent back already, and this review, that pretty much made up my mind. 1 Seat Concepts, all carbon, standard foam has just been ordered. My butt will be thankful!!

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM

You guys will like your new seat. I am really happy with mine. The standard foam is just a smidget soft for me but more than acceptable.
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM

How do you find the standard foam compared to the foam in the OEM seat from Kawi?

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versman View Post
You guys will like your new seat. I am really happy with mine. The standard foam is just a smidget soft for me but more than acceptable.
How much do you weigh and what's your inseam? Thanks.
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Wheel Drive View Post
EC90T, thanks for the great review!

Between reading that someone sent their Sargent back already, and this review, that pretty much made up my mind. 1 Seat Concepts, all carbon, standard foam has just been ordered. My butt will be thankful!!
I just ordered the same for mine based on the feedback.
Thanks EC90T for being the guinea pig. I think SC should be sending you a little commision..

2013 Versys1000
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM

FYI: I was told today that Seat Concepts will have a "low" version of its Versys seat in about two months. The current offering has a seat height about like OEM, but may feel a little higher because of the seat-shape.

Was also told that their foam is a proprietary combination (mix) of memory foam and gel. They feel that comfort is determined more by seat "shape" than softness of the padding. All interesting (for me anyway).
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:47 PM

I weigh about 245 with a 32" inseam and 6' tall (I know, I need to lay off the grub). The foam is noticeably softer than stock but it feels really good. I had a Spencer mod on the seat previously but it was only a little better than stock. SC is far better than stock. Like I said, you guys will be happy.
post #16 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

This is great info -- as usual on this forum. Thanks.

I guess I missed it but how did you get the 10% off? That more than covers the shipping. Please let me know.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #17 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadan View Post
this is great info -- as usual on this forum. Thanks.

I guess i missed it but how did you get the 10% off? That more than covers the shipping. Please let me know.
in the coupon code area enter klr650.net

2013 Versys1000
post #18 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:18 PM

I stopped by a shop to get a quote in installing the SC cover and foam, $50.00-$75.00. YEA BUDDY I'll pay you that for 15 to 30 mins work...NOT!! I'll buy the stapler and do it myself.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks!

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #20 of 108 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
in the coupon code area enter klr650.net
Close, but the code must be in ALL CAPS to work.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode