Hauling my Versys 2011 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Hauling my Versys 2011

Planning big trip with family in September. Part of trip I'll be riding my Versys. At other times I want to be in the car with them. Any suggestions as to how best to haul the V at those times: rent a trailer? Use a hauler? Any ideas are most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Garage
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=mt

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Wondering if there are any options out there?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM

This was posted a couple of days ago... Versys on a rear bumper hitch: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=19327

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Use bluetooth communication and ride the whole time. Kids start fighting...turn the headset off. Wife starts nagging...turn the headset off.

IBA # 49372
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Garage
Heres an option.. http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/cu...alwaysShowCCTA

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Use bluetooth communication and ride the whole time. Kids start fighting...turn the headset off. Wife starts nagging...turn the headset off.
+1 lol

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM

I'm going to be renting a U-Haul 5x9 trailer tomorrow to tow my bike from Flagstaff to San Diego (500 miles) and then San Diego to Mississippi (2000 miles) a few weeks later. Just a heads up, if you're interested in the smaller "motorcycle trailer" they have, forget it. That one is only available for in-town moves, not long trips.

I was a little annoyed about that, considering I was planning on only having to tow 1000 pounds (450/550 bike/trailer). Now because I have to get the 5x9, I'll be towing closer to 1700 pounds (450/1200 bike/trailer), an unwelcome toll on my already old car.

I would just ride! I like the Bluetooth radio idea.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Garage
I found this little trailer on Craigslist a couple of years ago. The company is no longer in business, but you may get lucky shopping for a used one. at $400 it was a great deal.

This type of trailer folds so you can stand it in a garage. For the price of renting one you could own your own.

Ride while you can
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Garage
http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

What I did about a year ago, was order this trailer from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb...res-90153.html
using a 20% off coupon, so by the time it was all together, plywood added, ramp made and chock bought and installed, I figure it cost me less than $300.

Towed the Green Hornet from Florence, AZ to Didsbury, AB over 3 days in April 2011. Worked like a damn!!!

BTW, this was the SECOND of these trailers I've built - the first was to tow my KLR. I updated it with aluminum-plate deck, then sold it for around $700.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05956.jpg (93.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05960.jpg (83.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05961.jpg (68.0 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05962.jpg (79.9 KB, 525 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
I found this little trailer on Craigslist a couple of years ago. The company is no longer in business, but you may get lucky shopping for a used one. at $400 it was a great deal.

This type of trailer folds so you can stand it in a garage. For the price of renting one you could own your own.
Looks great. Checked out the website and they ask for $1,195 for a new one. Ouch!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&White View Post
Looks great. Checked out the website and they ask for $1,195 for a new one. Ouch!
Who makes the one you found?? OP said they went out of business..

I have been looking a the stingers... Video here.

It looks like you can really take a fast turn and since it is so low, it wont flip! It has smaller wheels but rated for extended highway use. Many report 3000 mile trips - no prob. I love the way it comes fully assembled and stores in a tight area. Thoughts Anyone???
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Garage
The trailer I have was made by RAD Industries. Last time I looked they were out of business. That Stinger looks pretty nice. One thing I see is that when you load it the front wheel chock doesn't lock to the wheel, the bike won't stand on it's own until you put the straps on. It's difficult to support the bike with one hand and grab the tie down and secure the bike while your holding it from tipping over, I know!

Ride while you can
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Garage
This one's pretty slick. but not cheap..http://trpcycleservice.com/DropDeckTrailer.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Here is a link to motorcycle hauler rated at 600 lbs it's $260. Not sure what kind of vehicle you have and what your hitch is rated at
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
Here is a link to motorcycle hauler rated at 600 lbs it's $260. Not sure what kind of vehicle you have and what your hitch is rated at
Thanks, I pull with a Toyota Rav4. I have a class three hitch installed but can only pull 1500 pounds max weight.

I currently have a 5X8 utility trailer with an attached ramp (for mowers & such). I probably should be looking for a rail and front chock sold separately and mount them in my trailer when I need to haul a bike or two. Any suggestions on these? I quick search shows there are hundreds out there...

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Thanks, I pull with a Toyota Rav4. I have a class three hitch installed but can only pull 1500 pounds max weight.

I currently have a 5X8 utility trailer with an attached ramp (for mowers & such). I probably should be looking for a rail and front chock sold separately and mount them in my trailer when I need to haul a bike or two. Any suggestions on these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ycle-Ramp.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 PM

Garage
I have that wheel chock and dont really like it with my V. It is made more for a skinnier tire than the V. It works great with dirt bikes, and my dads cruiser worked pretty good with it as well. With the V when it was secured tight forward, it got stuck in the V of the chock. I had to pull RALLY hard to get it out of the chock and was afraid I would drop the bike, when it finally came undone.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97145.html

I also have both of these. I find both much better than the one posted above.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode