do you miss your old speedo? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

do you miss your old speedo?

no...I'm not talking about the one you wore as a kid on the beach at Impanema...

I'm talking an analog speedometer. To me, there is something about the relativity of the needle to the numbers on the gauge that is missing with a digital speedometer.

I had a honda with a digital speedo for a summer and felt the same way. Something about the gauge cluster was just.....off...for me.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my V - and this in no way makes me think differently about buying it.

Anyone else feel this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM

I prefer the needle to the numbers. My head does not work well with numbers (a dyslexic thing) and it takes me longer to look and register the digital speedo. With the traditional guage I hardly have to look away from the road to keep my eye on the speed, it just happens in peripheral vision.

I've found a site that does an app that converts a TomTom to a clock-face speedo (plus a whole lot of other dash board info) and I'm thinking of giving that a try.

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM

It took me a couple of years to get used to the digital speed read out. I am ok with it now.

The digital read out reminds me a police radar read out, ...which then reminds me to keep an eye out for speed traps, which then reminds me to keep my speed reasonable.

Win - Win situation

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM
DR_

I prefer a digital speedo, especially when on track. I can take a quick look down and see my corner speed and with a analog speedo I can't quickly do that as it takes to much focus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM

I prefer needles and dials, but the problem with lots of modern bikes that still have an analog speedo is the gradations are so tiny it's hard to register a value at a glance. Manufacturers don't help by including speed values that are beyond a bike's capability. Look down at a large set of digits and you know the value instantly.

As it is, I tend to look at the speed reading on my GPS which is much more accurate than the speedos on my Honda or Kawasaki.

Give me an analog speedo if you can make it legible.

On a related topic, definitely give me an analog rev counter.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM

I still prefer to watch the needle sweep & the quick,mindless reference point
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Bones - What is the usual difference between the GPS indicated speed and the speedometer?

Doctor Shifty - I would LOVE to know what website that is - I've got an old TomTom I could try it on if it' the right model.

And I agree on the analog tach too - much better than digital.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06EXTN View Post
Bones - What is the usual difference between the GPS indicated speed and the speedometer?

Stock gearing on the v is about 8% out on speedo, 100kph on speedo = 92kph GPS
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM

I know that on my V the GPS and the speedometer are only off a couple of MPH. When the bike reads 75mph the gps says 73mph. It's by far the most accurate speedo I've ever had on a bike.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06EXTN View Post
It's off about 4 mph at 50 mph (i.e., 54 mph indicated on speedo = 50 mph by GPS). My Honda ST1300 is off a similar amount. Both of our Toyota cages are spot-on.

Car and Driver did a story on the error in car speedos. Apparently DOT regulations still allow for some defined level of error in speedos. All the BMW cars that C&D tested showed the maximum speed reading within the allowable margin of error, which in the view of the magazine was done intentionally to make BMW drivers believe they are going faster than they really are. Funny.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

No I dont miss my analog speedo as it was attached to a slow lump called a KLR 650. great bike for dual sporting, but for mainly street riding, not as much...the versys, still able to run the dirt roads I do, but soooooooo much better on the highway.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM

My civic has it and the numbers are bright white with a bright blue background. I grew to love it because no only can I easily see, peripherally, what my speed is... The people in the damn car next to me car next to me can too. It's great

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
My civic has it and the numbers are bright white with a bright blue background. I grew to love it because no only can I easily see, peripherally, what my speed is... The people in the damn car next to me car next to me can too. It's great
guilty as charged!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 PM

My first digital speedo was on my VFR Vtec. Going back to a needle on my 12GS, well, it seemed so old fashioned. Another two bikes and then the Versys and I'm back to being happy. I really like the digital readout. It isn't enough to sway my next purchase, whatever that will be, but I do prefer my readout in numbers.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
NYG

Somehow I find the old-school two, round analog gauges next to each other to be the quintessential setup. Maybe it's because that was the norm when I first became interested in bikes. I don't mind our speedo, but it doesn't have the same feel to me.

Mike
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM
DR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
which in the view of the magazine was done intentionally to make BMW drivers believe they are going faster than they really are. Funny.
It is probably that plus they would think they are getting better mileage. It also would make the warranty and the free scheduled mainenance end that much sooner.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
It is probably that plus they would think they are getting better mileage. It also would make the warranty and the free scheduled mainenance end that much sooner.
Nope. If you check your mileage aginst the mileage markers on the side of the road, or a GPS, it is usually VERY accurate. But the speedo is not so accurate.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Digital is faster and easier for me. Analog is cooler but not when I'm actually riding.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM

I prefer analog.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

At FIRST I was missing the analog, but now, as I'm used to the big digital readout, AND looking at my GPS speed, I'm used to and preferring the digital.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode