How Do You Clean the Chain Grease Off Your Rear Wheel? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

How Do You Clean the Chain Grease Off Your Rear Wheel?

Title says it all. I just washed my bike but I can't get the left side of the rear wheel clean. Any ideas? Goo-Be-Gone?

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Garage
I use Goop Hand Cleaner and some paper shop towels

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Garage
Simple green spray bottle, and a sponge/tooth brush.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM

I use purple power or something like that.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/chain-pickle/

IBA # 49372
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post

Hmmmm.Published Date: April 1, 2011

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
Title says it all. I just washed my bike but I can't get the left side of the rear wheel clean. Any ideas? Goo-Be-Gone?

Thank you,

Choppastyle
Remove any globs with a paper towel. WD40 will do the rest, either spray a paper towel or rag, then wipe it off. When all clean, I usually use a clean rag to remove WD40 residue - it can attract dust.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM

I damp a rag in some kerosene and it cleans the wheels up very easily. I also get some fling up under the rack and top box so I go over the whole underside before washing the bike.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM

WD-40 on a shop rag.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM

S-100 is the only thing I use to clean my bike. This stuff works better than anything else I've tried in the last 25 years. It's biodegradeable and takes care of all the road grime and bugs with little to no fuss.

I also use Dupont teflon spray to keep my chain plates and orings lubed. It works great and dries to a film that doesn't fly off. It also won't make a mess out of your rear wheel. It can be bought at any Lowes for $5 a can. The people over at ADVrider swear by this stuff and now I see why.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM

If we are talking about cleaning the chain -- I use PJ1 Super Cleaner... Amazing stuff!

I also spray down the side of the exhaust that is up against the chain, cleans that off with ZERO effort.. litterally just spray.. You dont even need to scrub!

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)

Last edited by naudan; 05-11-2012 at 09:12 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM

kerosene is fine. Paint thinner easier to come by, or prep-sol.

If you have that much on there you're probably over-lubing the chain. O-ring chains need very little lube, some use 80-90 gear oil but it's messy.

WD also works for cleaning but some say it seeps past the o-rings and washes out the grease in the rollers. I've been using it for years and never had a problem.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM

WD-40, toothbrush, paper towel, then Honda Spray Polish.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Simple Green and a rag. I use Chain Wax and if you are carefull when you spray it on and DON'T go overboard when using it it stays ON the chain. I'd be a bit worried about anything oily near the tires.

Now HOW do you keep the bugs off your visor so you can see when riding?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Beware of simple green, it attacks aluminum. It was used by the air force for cleaning helicopter parts when it first came out. But they found it was causing corrosion, obviously corrosion on a V is not as critical as a chopper, but keep away from it in my view. My 10c

Machog

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Now HOW do you keep the bugs off your visor so you can see when riding?
I keep a small spray bottle of soapy water and a soft rag in my top case

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM

+ 1 on wd 40 on a rag
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM

If you have that much grease on your rear wheel, could be you're using more chain lube than you need.

Chain lube threads are like oil threads, but I like the DuPont Teflon wax lubricant. Clean, effective and much less crud on your wheel. Also comes in a small squeeze bottle that's handy for lubing the chain on a long trip.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Cleaning the rear wheel? I use dish detergents and rags. But sometimes i wonder if degreaser would make the job easier..

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Garage
I switched to using Maxima Chain Wax because it makes less mess and seems to adhere better than the typical Chain grease. Dupont Teflon chain lube gets good recommendations too.

I find kerosene or diesel fuel works well as a chain cleaner and rim cleaner used with paper towels but you will need to follow up with detergent and water to remove any residue from the rim and tire after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode