Versys on a motorcycle hitch carrier - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
DR_

Versys on a motorcycle hitch carrier

Since I haven't seen this done before I thought I should post a picture. I've carried my DRZ like this for years but this is the first time I've done it with the Versys. It worked really well on my weekend trip to the Ozarks and I will do it again.

Here are a couple from my Arkansas Ozark forest roads ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Garage
Good to know i have an Xterra and have looked at those carriers before and wondered how it would work with the V. Don't want to get a trailer because of the limits on speed and don't care for a pickup truck.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM

Nice, that's what I've been wanting to get. What model is that?

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
DR_

I suspect on an Xterra you would need to install rear air bags or helper leaf springs to level it. On my Armada it has factory air bags that level it.

It is a Joe Hauler carrier and I would highly recommend it. It is really well made.

Last edited by DR_; 05-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
I suspect on an Xterra you would need to install rear air bags or helper leaf springs to level it. On my Armada it has factory air bags that level it.
Thanks.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Hmm, had one for my 225lb Yamaha XT. I'm not sure I would want to try to balance my +450lb Versys just getting up there. You have to drive it onto & up the ramp standing next to the bike. Almost lost the XT a couple of times loading it. And getting it off, was a whole nother PIA. They look neat and do work but not for my V.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
DR_

I've done it with my 300lbs DRZ a hundred times with no issues. On the DRZ I just push it up but on the Versys I did use the motor to help get it up. You can back up to a curb to make it even easier if needed.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Why not ride the bike to where you are going . . .

IBA # 49372
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Is the carrier welded to the frame? bolted? I'd be nervous about hitting a dip and having the instantaneous weight snap the carrier and drop the bike onto the highway. Wouldn't be a problem with a lightweight trails bike.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
DR_

No it is just put in the receiver like a normal hitch. My SUV has a a class 4 receiver rated to 1k tongue weight which this easily comes in under. The Versys actually has a smoother ride on the back of this then on a trailer as this way it is using the SUV's suspension while trailers are typically bouncy.

I have in-laws in Fayetteville, AR so I take the wife and kid to them and I go play in the Ozarks.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I had something like that carrier to carry my KLR650 on my motorhome, BUT I added TWO more 2" square receivers, and two more tongues to the carrier. That way I wasn't at all concerned about the weight, particularly laterally, in just ONE 2" receiver.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
DR_

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I had something like that carrier to carry my KLR650 on my motorhome, BUT I added TWO more 2" square receivers, and two more tongues to the carrier. That way I wasn't at all concerned about the weight, particularly laterally, in just ONE 2" receiver.
I am considering something similar once I take this to the next level and add a reward receiver to connect a small trailer

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Joe Hauler, they are great, they do work fine, here where I live you can see thousands of them around.
I'm looking to get one to carry around a dirt bike.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM

I just posted some questions to your post over at ADV, and they've been mostly answered here. My biggest concern is whether you're asking too much of a receiver hitch type carrier. If ya'll do the mod of adding other receivers post up some pics.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Is the carrier welded to the frame? bolted? I'd be nervous about hitting a dip and having the instantaneous weight snap the carrier and drop the bike onto the highway. Wouldn't be a problem with a lightweight trails bike.
Interesting. Never used one of these type bike carriers.

Fully intended on swapping out the stock hardware with high grade stuff for the hitch frame to vehicle frame mount points..not yet done it.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750

Last edited by AMA213; 05-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM

be careful, looks like its bending under the load of the bike.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM

No problems hauling a V on one of those that is made to handle heavier bikes. Most class III/IV hitches are rated at 500 lb tongue weight because of suspension issues not because the 2" square tubing can't handle the weight.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
No problems hauling a V on one of those that is made to handle heavier bikes. Most class III/IV hitches are rated at 500 lb tongue weight because of suspension issues not because the 2" square tubing can't handle the weight.
The rack might be able to handle it, the hitch may be able to, the car may be able to. You need to make sure that every possible thing that this affects can handle the extra load, as the system is only as strong as the weakest link.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Here's a link describing the various Class hitches (with photos so you can get an idea of what it takes): http://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

Remember that just because some guy at U-Haul bolts up a 2x2 Class III hitch to your ride, it doesn't mean that the attachment points can take the weight when your V is bouncing around on the back.

Be careful out there!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
GDI

I don't know anything about your install, and I don't want to pile on. . . .

But, (you knew there was one coming) a fellow came out here and bought my little XR100R with one of those. His carrier was probably a lot cheaper than the one you're using. His was a channel bolted to a tube. He wasn't going very far, and I guess he made it OK. He claimed he'd been using it for years.

It seemed to me that there's the potential for a lot of twisting around that little 2" square tube. Too my mind those hitches were designed to pull straight or accept a load straight down. Twisting about it's center axis is not something that there's a specification for on a receiver hitch. That's what I'd be concerned about.

I like the idea of multiple receivers.

GDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode