Don't drive too fast! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Don't drive too fast!

So today I was out with my buddies cruisin' for about 3 hours through Pennsylvania and NY. Our bikes are a GSXR 600, Yamaha FZ6, BMW K1200, an 85 Honda Shadow 500, and me on my V. We were on our way back on Route 80 and I got stuck behind some cars and was getting left behind. I made my way around the cars and found myself with a long, empty straight ahead of me. I gunned it, like a dummy. Hit 115 before I got scared and backed off, when BAM, I see the blue and red lights coming from the distance. I cop nailed me doing 105 and pulled me over.

A this point I thought my life was over. He was gonna take my license and I was going to be paying insane fees. It was a state trooper, he had me take my helmet off and turn off the bike. He strolled over to me, had me get my license, insurance, and registration and hand it over. He disappeared into his car for a bit and reappeared soon after, gave me back my info and questioned me.

Officer: "Were those your friends up ahead?"
Me: "Yes officer."
O: "You were doing 105. What for?"
M: *stuttering* "Well, I just got my license and it's exciting and my friends were leaving me behind and I'm so sorry I won't do it again"
O: *smiles* "This is a really nice bike. How's it handle?"
M: *confused* "Well, so far so good. I just got my Givi windscreen and it's really slicing through the wind for me"
O: "Yea I can see that! Listen, I'm letting you go with a warning. This is a HUGE break. Don't ever speed like that again. If you and your friends want to speed like that take it to the track."
M: "Thank you so much officer!"

I shook his hand and met my friends about 2 miles ahead at a rest stop. I showed them my warning paper and we all drove away happily, and doing the speed limit.

Moral of the story? DON'T SPEED!! It's not worth it, really. A minute of speed is not worth getting a $500 ticket, higher insurance, surcharges, and possibly losing your license, not to mention the danger you put yourself and others in. I was stupid, and won't be doing it again. Please head my warning. Happy trails!

-Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyFeet View Post
Moral of the story? DON'T SPEED!! It's not worth it, really.
I agree especially re that sort of speed. I will continue to do +10 or +15 mph.

Coming back today on BCs Highway 99 The Sea to Sky Highway, a GSX-R rider playing boy racer low-sided in front of me.

Although he was ATTGATT (full leathers) he only had light gloves and his hands were in a pretty bad way.

The rider was lucky - before the ambulance arrived he had been attended by a first aider (me), a nurse, a fireman and an emergency doctor (all off-duty & just driving by).

The bike wasn't so lucky. Having cracked the crankcase it had hemorrhaged oil and/or transmission fluid onto the road.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people dont have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 AM

Whew! Brother, you got lucky.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Yep. When I was younger, there were no points or reporting to insurance companies so I hit pretty insane speeds regularly. The biggest thing we have to contend with is moose on the roads. Now at 36, I have two kids and the speeds are a lot lower...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Good break to get a bike friendly cop.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 AM

Here in Nova Scotia going that fast is considered stunting (50kmh over the limit). They will issue you a ticket worth nearly $2500 (which doubles if you are in a school or construction zone), impound your bike, take your license on the spot for seven days, you get five points on your license, and you have to make a court appearance plus pay the impound/towing fees to get your bike back.

We sure do have tough rules in this part of the world! Consider this, suppose you are in a 50kmh zone (31mph), which happens to be a construction zone, and you are going 100kmh (62mph) which is really not that fast. Your ticket, if caught, would be worth nearly $5000 - plus all the other nice stuff listed above!

The laws for speeding are extreamely severe in this nick of the woods. I would have to sell my bike to pay the ticket! Then again, maybe thats what they want.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 AM

You got lucky. Nice Trooper.
Be careful.
Trying to keep up, is the reason for most of the accidents I've seen, here in the North Georgia Mountains. And I see them almost every weekend.
It's a good idea to let everybody in a group, ride their own pace, then just wait for them at each turn.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyFeet View Post
So today I was out with my buddies cruisin' for about 3 hours through Pennsylvania and NY. Our bikes are a GSXR 600, Yamaha FZ6, BMW K1200, an 85 Honda Shadow 500, and me on my V. We were on our way back on Route 80 and I got stuck behind some cars and was getting left behind.
Other moral of the story: Never ride on route 80 when there are so many beautiful roads in Western NJ that can take you back home without hitting the highway .

That road is just littered with cars, cops, and considering it is 8-10 lanes wide at some point, annoying wind! For me, its always a very unpleasant ride.

Lucky you had a nice cop. I had an similiar instance with a cop but was on a backroad. Did 120 on my CBR on a small strech, pulled me over but only gave a warning. Though I was going to have a heart attack

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Wow, you were very fortunate. He had you dead to rights. I had a similar situation on my way to work one morning when I passed three vehicles and saw some blue lights come on behind me. By the time I finished my pass I was doing over 'the ton' and it was a bad feeling seeing those lights. I pulled over immediately and apologized and was very conciliatory. He wasn't running radar and when he found out my record was clean he gave me a very stern warning. I've been more conservative a rider since.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Yep...The biggest thing we have to contend with is moose on the roads....
And that (those?) is PRETTY DAMNED BIG! I've seen pics of a van that hit a moose and it ended up in the backseats, obviously killing everyone that was in the van.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Yep,

Fasteddie, I hit one in a one week old pathfinder. a mom and calf walked up on the road in front of me in the night, Pre big ass lights days and I picked the small one and it still did 19000 dollars damage to the rig. they are HUGE, but tasty! I want to warn everyone driving over this neck of the woods, SLOW DOWN AT NIGHT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode