It's a dirty job but somebody has got do it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

It's a dirty job but somebody has got do it!

Well I had enough of 52-54 MPH and am planning to run over to Indiana next weekend to visit a friend. I don't want to take the KLR as it's all back roads if I do as I hate it on the 4 laners as it's not a fun ride. BUT I knew until I got pass the 500 mile mark on the Versys it'd be just as slow. So I "Bellyed up to the bar" and did 145 miles today. It's a hard life I tell you...a hard life!

I made the last bit of the ride on the super slab in a quick run at 70 and was very pleased. At 4 grand there is a very nasty vib thing going. at 5 grand it's smooth out for the most part. at 5.5 grand all but gone!

I had pulled in to a parking lot to get this shot and a police officer was there. He pull over to were I was at and ask what I was doing. I told him I was getting a photo of the 500 mile mark he laughed and said he did the samething on his bike.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-06-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:24 PM

I don't know about a vibration just at 4K, I have a 2008 and it vibrates all the time. That's the difference between $4,000 and $7,000 or a 2008 vs a 2011. I figure that I'm getting a massage for free every time I go for a ride. Glad to hear that you like you V. I love mine!

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM

I have an 09 and I remember the break in vibs. Once everything loosens up a little more there will be a lot less shakin going on. I only notice them when I ride for 1hr+. On my 20 minute commute I don't feel a thing.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM

My 09 has more vibes at 4k rpm's then anywhere but I usually keep it up a little higher like over 5 so it's not too bad. I wouldn't sweat the break in rules too bad. I noticed Kawi has the same break in procedure in there manuals for many different bikes. You can't ride my wife's Ninja 250 at four grand and get anyplace but thats what the book said same as our old Ninja 500 and KLR.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Congrats.

At 240 something now. Goal is to hit "the 5" this weekend.

Black 2012 Versys-Sold!
Blue WR250R
Green Bolens
Black GSX-S750
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 AM

Just had my first service and past 1,000 km now. Do I need to continue breaking in the bike or is it ok to let it rip now and again?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Let it rip. The motor is a whole heap stronger than we give it credit for while we are tenderly poking along at under 4k rpm.

The vibes lessen over time, but my 08 wasn't really happy at hiway cruising speed until about 20,000 kms. Now it's got 30,000 on it and pretty smooth the whole way through the range.

I remember once taking a photo of the speedo of our car as it turned over 100,000 miles. It was when we were living in south west UK and the poor old thing was almost rusted away by then.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Mine ran 75 off the showroom floor. That break-in bs is just that. Take it easy for the first few hundred and keep it under six grand for a bit. It's ready to ride.

More important to get the first oil out of it within the first few hundred miles, then again at the factory OCI's. That gets the junk that comes out of the motor, clutch plates, etc. from initial run in.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Mine ran 75 off the showroom floor. That break-in bs is just that. Take it easy for the first few hundred and keep it under six grand for a bit. It's ready to ride.

More important to get the first oil out of it within the first few hundred miles, then again at the factory OCI's. That gets the junk that comes out of the motor, clutch plates, etc. from initial run in.
That's the other thing, about the factory OCI's. Isn't the gap between 1,000 km and 12,000 km a bit much? Would you recommend changing engine oil and filter every 6,000 km instead of 12,000?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
That's the other thing, about the factory OCI's. Isn't the gap between 1,000 km and 12,000 km a bit much? Would you recommend changing engine oil and filter every 6,000 km instead of 12,000?
A bit silly to me. I change the oil in my KLR at 2000-2500 miles. Same on my Buell before I traded it in on the V. Even my car is changed at 4000 miles. After all oil's cheap, motors cost big bucks!

I have filters, oil and gaskets on hand at all times for all my "Toys" a change takes 30 mins including clean up I'd guess. I change the air filter on the KLR at the same time BUT it's a heck of a lot easier to get at than the Versys looks to be AND I have two Unis for it. I need to pick up a spare for the V at the shop today.

I'm NOT rich damn it! So I take care of what I have.

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
>snip
Would you recommend changing engine oil and filter every 6,000 km instead of 12,000?
Absolutely. It only holds two quarts and turns ten grand with a wet clutch. Synthetic from 2KM miles on. Rotella or Delo400 make a great breakin oil. Then it's full syn for me.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM

one of the easiest oil changes to do...just buy a small (measure your filter) oil filter wrench, remove the right side engine cover and voila. A clean motor is a happy motor, so doing it every 4-5,000 kms/ 6 months is a great and cheap way to keep you and your bike rolling. I also put in fresh stuff before winter storage...this way in spring you can fire it up and ride...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

No need to pull the bike apart at all. Other than the plug and filter that is. I replace the plug washer every time as I've had one "drool" all over my floor, made a big mess in a week. BTW Kawasaki sells one the the Versys for $2.40 OR one for the KLR for $.40, either will work. I use this type oil filter wrench and a 3/8" drive. Just make sure you take the filter when you buy the wrench as it only fits one size.

A pan to drain the old oil into and a small funnel to fill the bike back up and you're good to go. Just bottle the old oil up and recycle it at the auto supply house.

BTW when I was whinnying about the mess pulling the filter made it was pointed out to me to by a smarter member here to make a Tin Foil tent and drape it over the header. Works nicely and the clean up is now a piece of cake... wad it up toss it in the trash when done.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode