Soft luggage, what do you guys use? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Soft luggage, what do you guys use?

Hey all, i've been looking into soft luggage recently, but really havent heard anything about most of these brands...

So i'm wondering what you guys use, and what you'd recommend.

What i'm looking for:
-Soft luggage preferably just side bags
-Capacity, bigger is better
-Waterproof (preferably without having to add waterproof covers

I've looked thru Wolfman, Ortlieb, Enduristan etc, but like i said, i dont know anybody whose used any of them.

Any info is appreciated!!

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

I used a set of Ortlib bags on my KLR. They were great and waterproof as advertised. I wish they made a inner bag to put your cloths in so when you stopped at night you could grab it and carry it in with you.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM

OP, there are plenty of thread on this topic. search "ortlieb" and see what pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I wish they made a inner bag to put your cloths in so when you stopped at night you could grab it and carry it in with you.
if they did, they'd charge you 95 dollars per side. i use an old duffel or backpack or whatever as a bag liner.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:57 PM

YEah I went for the Givi ones and the raincovers waterproofing started to flake off in the second use. Held a lot of gear for a 3 week ride i did. But the covers were the only flaw

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Been on trips as long as 31 days. I put my stuff into doubled-up garbage bags that I've inserted into my bags, and everything has stayed dry, EVEN in day-long downpours on the Alaska highway! Cost? Around a dime per bag....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to brokenhat
I've ordered the new for 2012 Givi's, haven't arrived yet so can't comment now but will as soon as I can give them a fair trial.

Matt
2012 Versys, Vario ws, Barkbuster Storms, lowering blocks, flatfoot, Zumo GPS, Givi soft side bags, Axio tail bag, Wolfman Express tank bag
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
DR_

Nelson-Rigg and they come with waterproof covers. I can pack a whole weekend of camping stuff in them, including tent and air matress.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Am i right in finding that the Nelson-Riggs have no additional mounting system...that they just strap on? If so, that's badass and thanks for posting because I hadn't seen them before...

Also which size are those on your V?

Last edited by breakingbryan; 04-30-2012 at 01:17 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbryan View Post
Am i right in finding that the Nelson-Riggs have no additional mounting system...that they just strap on? If so, that's badass and thanks for posting because I hadn't seen them before...

Also which size are those on your V?
His bike appears to have some added support from near the passenger peg going up. Don't know if its homemade or not, but its not OEM.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
DR_

Yes I do have a soft bag support but honestly I don't think the support is needed if you back well. The stock reflector kind of acts like a support already.

They just strap on to the passeger foot peg area and a strap in the back that links them to each other. I've taken them down dirt roads before and they don't move at all. I can put the whole thing on or take it off in a matter of seconds. I don't know the capcity in liters but they are called the Silver Streak

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys, and DR that looks like a great setup youve got there! Are those supports specific to the bags?

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM

DR_

I have almost the same bags, same bike ('09 in blue), same windscreen. Got the bags from newenough.com (motorcyclegear.com). But I bought the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak mini saddle bags (SSC-140) because I didn't need a lot of storage for day rides. I bought the top case (SSC-160) because it was so cheap. It was on closeout. I think I got the whole ball of wax for for $100. Good site for those looking for deals. I highly recommend the Nelson Rigg products. Old photo below. I've since added a the Kawasaki tall windscreen and switched to silver belly pans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00094-20101114-1227.jpg (95.2 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by XLR8; 04-30-2012 at 07:53 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
DR_

I got the supports from here a half year or so ago. The thread.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Soft bags

Using Cortech Tri-Bag system, which is adequate but not waterproof, even with rain covers. Just picked up Ortlieb QLR-2 bags, which fit Happy Trails SL racks as though they were made for them. Also have Twited Throttle D-66 Dry Bag duffels; makes for a nice-looking, waterproof package for touring-camping. Will retire the Cortech bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (22.1 KB, 870 views)

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."

Last edited by Satanic Versys; 05-01-2012 at 10:13 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM

I love my Giant Loop Coyote bag. I've used on cross country runs on WR250X and will be what I use on my Versys. They really do a better job of distributing the load then any other luggage I've seen.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM

I'm shopping around as well and am leaning towards the Nelson Riggs just for the quick strap mounting. Are there any other dual mounting saddle and tail bags that don't require racks or additional mounting hardware?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Based on the recommendations here and seeing how they look on the V, I just ordered a pair. I was looking for saddlebags for a while and I like the ease of the attachment/detachment with these. That combined with the price made them irresistible to me. I was deciding between something like this and a hard set that I could lock stuff in, like my gear when I go out to eat, but y'all sold me. Will report when I get them in.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM

I use the MotoCentric bags and I've been content with them. I like the looks of the Dowco Elite series, but was hesitant of the 200 price... I'm saving up at this point for TraX luggage
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 PM

I just ordered a set of Nelson Rigg CL-950s and dual mounting tailbag from motorcyclegear.com. After a few days of research, it sounds like this was the way to go for the money right now. Can't wait to check out the fitment. I hope its as good as everyone says, I've got a week to get them and lock them in before a four day hunting trip, I might be cutting it close!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM

I went with Ortlieb. 100% waterproof though with no outside pockets of any kind you need to find somewhere else to stash things you will need throughout the day. I used a grocery store tote bag inside the side bags as it pretty much filled up the bags and made it easier to get things into and out of the bags. I don't have any support brackets so I used the shoulder strap from the duffle bag to connect the side bags. That helped a little but support brackets would be nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode