New owner here... Questions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

New owner here... Questions.

Hello all! I joined this forum a few weeks back and have been reading in preparation to learn a bit more about this bike. My girlfriend got an 09 last year and it is flawless. I've ridden it just enough to know that it's a SUPERB bike.

I just picked up a 2011 with ZERO miles on it. Tag was $6499!! Shelby Powersports in the Bronx was the dealer, and they are some really chill, honest, and helpful people down there. If you're ever in NY, stop by.

My first question is about my first service... What is involved, and can I do it myself. I can definitely do oil, clutch.. but adjusting valves i know nothing about...

Secondly, 3rd gear does make a pretty noticeable whine sound about halfway up the rpms... ONLY 3rd gear. Is this some sort of torque converter noise or something?

Pictures of this beautiful bike, in the equally beautiful Hudson Valley are coming tonight...

I'M OFF TO RIDE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
MTS

I have a 2010 and the thrid gear whine is not right. I have never heard of that. You may want to pm invader on that. Some of the other guys are awesome too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Welcome!

I get a whine as well, though its in top gear and doing around 80kmph at 4000rpm ... not sure if its something to be worried about as well

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
...My first question is about my first service... What is involved, and can I do it myself. I can definitely do oil, clutch.. but adjusting valves i know nothing about....
For the first service at 600 miles you change the oil and filter, then make sure everything is tight, NOT leaking, etc. Check your owners manual.

YOU CAN DO IT! Not necessary to check the valves yet.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys... Out riding and have about 110 miles on the odometer. I just noticed some coolant leaking from the left side where the line is clamped to the motor. There is some dried up coolant on the under cowling. NOT HAPPY. it's not a whole lot of coolant, though enough for me to be worried about. Now, despite the low tag price, I'm pretty pissed they charged me $297 for prep fees, and the bitch is leaking coolant!!

I'm going to call tomorrow and say something. Now, I can't disconnect or even loosen that line without a whole lot of coolant pouring out or can I?? I can't even tighten the screw on the clamp any more than it is! And the hose is definitely far on the male end of the motor.

I will put my phone in my pocket, and record the sound of the motor so you can hear the 3rd gear whine. I will post it up when I get home.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Had the identical problem with my brand new 09 when I bought it last March. Quick and easy fix. Tighten the hose clamp on the right top side of the radiator when sitting on bike. Standing on the ground with bike to your left. Or looking at it from the front, it will be on your left hand side.

Mine would cause me to have small white dots on my right boot after riding for a while. Took me about 2 weeks to notice. When I checked the hose clamp, it was not very tight. I tightened it some, checked the fluid level, all was fine.

Has not happened again.

And you will enjoy this bike. It is fun.

Just reread your post, maybe your leak is from a different location. My left, your right, my right, your left, it can get confusing. Anyway, mine was dripping on my right boot while I rode, the clamp was up on the radiator above my right boot. Sounds that yours is not the same location, but still related to clamps and/or hose.

Last edited by toofer; 04-29-2012 at 03:17 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM

You can download the factory service manual off this site in PDF format. It will lead you through the valve adjustment process.

Are you sure you are not hearing the chain? I have no whine in any gear.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

ok, the leak is coming from the left of the bike as in sitting in the captains seat, left leg... there is an 8" piece of hose from the radiator to the top of the motor.. the clamp is as tight as can be, and the hose is almost an inch onto the male end of the motor.... i wipred everything down, and it hasnt leaked since.... just gonna keep an eye for more drips. although the dried fluid on the bike didnt look like much, the reservoir has notches on the top portion and bottom portion.... the fluid level is just at the bottom notches, so it does look low to me...

give me 15 minutes and i will have an mp3 of the engine noise and a few nicer pics

thanks for such quick responses, i love this forum already... hope there are none of them forum guru jerks on here that do nothing but talk down on people and speak overtly sophisticated. ie, 90% of fora out there...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Coolant tends to leak when it is cooled down. When warmed up and engine hot, metal expands, as you know, and small leaks are hard to detect. When the metal cools and contracts is when you get the leak most of the time.

Mine would leak (drip) as it warmed up, and not leaked when the engine was hot. I just tightened up the clamps some, and that was that.

Your coolant level should be between the marks on the coolant container. Since you see coolant at the lower mark you are not low, so no damage has occured. I'd add some coolant to get it back up to middle of the range, check all clamps (when engine is cold), and watch it for a day or two.

Last edited by toofer; 04-29-2012 at 06:08 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

listen here! what do you guys think??

http://k004.kiwi6.com/hotlink/tqn0kh...12_4_30_pm.mp3
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks toofer! im not overly stressed, just irritated because she's brand new!! but i figured the metals would have to break in and setlle, as would any connections and bolts, etc.. that is exactly what happened.. i stopped for 2 minutes, took some pictures and there was no coolant, an hour later I stopped for lunch, and then it was there... i wiped everthing down and ripped up perkins (bear mountain) and came home, bone dry!! any old coolant will work, or is there specific type to buy?

now, about that 3rd gear whine.... any clue?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
listen here! what do you guys think??
My 2011 V makes no such whine in 3rd or any other gear... As to what do I think? I have no suggestions... I've had bikes that gear-whined I suppose... But when more Versys owners chime in after hearing your mp3 file I guess we'll have a bigger sampling to help you make an analysis if your 3rd gear whine. Good luck!

Oh... I've had no liquid leaks in my 3000+ miles so far.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 04-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM

I have a 2011 and NO such noise on mine either??

2011 Versys
2008 KTM 200xc-w
2012 KLR650 (wife's)
2005 CRF230 (wife's)
2007 KX 100 (daughter's)
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM

You are under warranty. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Make it their problem.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Can I take it to any dealer? I don't wanna leave it in the Bronx.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:

now, about that 3rd gear whine.... any clue?
Check your chain tension and chain lube. I am no mechanic but tension or lube may be gear specific...
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM

My bike gets a similar noise, but not so much of a whine, at or around the 2800 RPM mark under heavier than regular flat surface load. It's more of an exhaust noise and I think it's perfectly normal. Kind of sounds throaty and cool.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 AM

Ultimately you're protected under warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much about either situation. You'll likely find that the gear whine goes away as the engine and transmission get broken in. There have been some reports of coolant weeping from the housings where the coolant enters and exits the engine, and it seems to be common to other Kawasaki models as well. There is a delicate ceramic gasket behind each housing that takes time to bed fully (At least that's how I've understood the problem, it hasn't happened to me). If I were you I'd keep riding the bike and I bet you'll find both problems disappear. Coolant top-up should be done with motorcycle-specific coolant. The automotive stuff has an additive which can cause problems for bikes (can't remember the specifics right now, sorry).
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
My bike gets a similar noise, but not so much of a whine, at or around the 2800 RPM mark under heavier than regular flat surface load. It's more of an exhaust noise and I think it's perfectly normal. Kind of sounds throaty and cool.
Mine makes a similiar noise as well. I can check if its in 3rd gear or what -- I think, as Sykes said, it is usually on short shifts when the RPM is around 3k or lower and the engine is pushing a bit more to get into its power region. I have over 6k in mileage.. no issues that I know of yet.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)

Last edited by naudan; 04-30-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode