Is that a Ducati? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Is that a Ducati?

If you've been on the edge of whether to de-badge your Versys or not... do it! Not one week after doing it (and I think it looks great), I've got a couple curious people commenting and asking questions at stoplights. It's kinda fun chatting it up with random motorists. Yesterday, I was at a light when a car came up next to me. A young boy looked very eager in the front seat, and his dad rolled down the window. He asked: "My son wants to know if that's a Ducati?." Sadly, I was the bearer of bad news, but when I told him it was a Kawasaki Versys, he said something along the lines of: "Wow, I didn't know Kawasaki made such a cool looking upright bike. I totally thought it was a Ducati!." The light then turned and I rode away, the man's son still staring at me wide-eyed. Future rider there!

I absolutely love the wild fascination in this bike from people who've never seen one. I feel it's attention well deserved on the bike's part. I'm at 5,000 miles on my 2012 and it hasn't missed a beat! The tire in the back is getting a little bit of a flat top though, so tires will probably be my next investment. Stellar bike!

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM

I leave the badges on to avoid that. I don't want to be bothered when I ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I don't want to be bothered when I ride.
"I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel."

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

To each his own! I like the conversations it brings up, especially with other riders. People in cars usually have no idea what they're talking about, but other riders love chatting about their bikes. I enjoy the riding community and the extra discussions from time to time.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I've got a couple curious people commenting and asking questions at stoplights. It's kinda fun chatting it up with random motorists.
I enjoy the social aspects of motorcycling. I have met some great people over the years, a few of them I keep in contact with. I am the type of guy that when I see a kid in a car looking at me as I go by, I give them a wave and they usually smile and then you can see them tapping their parents shoulder excitedly and telling them that "he waved". I think it is important for us chatty folk who are polite to converse with the non-riders to let them know that there are good people who ride. I have had many parking lot conversations with curious folks while mounting or dismounting my bike. I almost always walk or ride away with a nice feeling.

As I get older, I miss my younger days when people would actually talk to others. So when I get the opportunity to talk with someone who is interested, I take the time.

Keep doing what your doing and have fun doing it!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM

At this point in my life the only thing that competes for conversation with the bike is my dog. I occasionally get an odd look when people see my daughter on my arm (mid 20s). Eventually there'll be munchkins, but for now everyone knows my dog & bike.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Neat story. I can remember longingly looking out the window like that when I was a little guy.

I have not de-badged my '09, though I have thought about it several times. Amazingly, last month an individual I know said that she and her husband saw me "blast" past them on the morning commute. The husband told her that the bike was a BMW. I informed her that it was a Kawasaki and she then said that she had never heard of that brand. Oh brother... I then realized that I had indeed accelerated past a dingdong that morning because they were swaying in and out of their lane. Again, oh brother...

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm curious if the same people would inquire about the bike if the stock sticker were still on. If they ask if it's a Ducati when you have a Ducati sticker on, are they even looking at the badge?

Just a thought. I love the de-badging but I love my K brand too much to rename her! A rose by any other name...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM

I personally don't like the thought of a debadge unless I had plans to do something very original. That said, its your ride! Make it yours!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 AM

I'll probably wind up de-badging mine. I'm in the process of working with a spray shop to take the "Imperial Red" of the 2011 to the "Burnt Orange" of the 2011 Ninja 650R.

I think this would look sweet with the black tank and matte blacking the silver pieces:

"Why do I ride?"

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Yes!

I did it a while ago. I had a lot of fun at somebody else's expense a while back. He had this sweet mustang restored and was talking it up. He said that sure was a good locking Duci. I just went along with and and said boy don't you know it. Nest thing he was yucking it up about when he owned a Duc a few years ago. I never corrected him and he was none the wiser. I still smile thinking about it.

Cheers!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Yes!

I did it a while ago. I had a lot of fun at somebody else's expense a while back. He had this sweet mustang restored and was talking it up. He said that sure was a good locking Duci. I just went along with and and said boy don't you know it. Nest thing he was yucking it up about when he owned a Duc a few years ago. I never corrected him and he was none the wiser. I still smile thinking about it.

Cheers!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Garage
While gassing up the Versys at a gas station last year a beat up pick up pulled up at the opposite pump. I over hear the driver and passenger of the pick up say something about foreign crap bikes. As I'm getting ready to leave the driver, wearing a HD t-shirt, approaches to ask me what kind of bike it is. I tell him it's the new Harley Astro glide and hit the starter button without waiting for a reply. I know not all Harley affectionatos have drunk the HD kool-aid, but the ones that have just make me want to do this

Last edited by twowheels; 04-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
Ill be rebadging mine to Mistress Arya and changing the colors eventually.

My girlfriend came up with the name... It fits well because I am either with my girlfriend or with the Mistress

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

So, I KID YOU NOT, a similar thing just happened today! For any Arizona folks out there, I rode from Flagstaff to Jerome and back. Jerome is a cool little former mining town. Very popular tourist spot and hundreds of motorcycles everywhere! I met one guy riding on a 2006 Kawasaki something and he was talking about actually buying a Versys. I spent some time in town and then went back to the lot to get my gear on. As I was getting my jacket on, a group of guys were also gearing up as well. They had some cool rides: a V-Strom, a Tiger 1050, and a BMW of some sort. A couple of them were watching me, and I heard one guy say "Hey I think that guy has a Ducati" as he walked over to me. When he got closer he said "Oh, that's a Versys right! Sweet bike man!". We had a nice conversation and then we all went separate ways. I was still a little dumbfounded though... do these bikes really look like Ducatis or something?

Then there was this guy! Apparently he's pretty famous around the area for riding this contraption around.

He built it completely from scratch. The engine is a big powerful 1962 V8 I think.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
"I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel."
The Alamo doesn't have a basement?

IBA # 49372
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
The Alamo doesn't have a basement?
I love that story.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 PM

Mines still fully badged and i have gotten "Ducati" before. I think the reason people say Ducati is because when they think Duc they think of an exotic bike, and the Versys looks like nothing else out there so in a way it's kind of exotic!

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Garage
For me "debadging" screams, "I dropped my bike and had to repaint it, but I am too cheap to put the badges back on."

Of course the exception is if it is an amazing custom paint job with large metalflake and/or cool airbrushing where the badges would look out of place.

Funny how Ducati became the bike everyone thinks is cool, just like Harley for cruiser style bikes. Harley markets like crazy so I can see why the general public want to know if your cruiser is a Harley, but besides a few movies I don't see Ducati doing any heavy marketing.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
While gassing up the Versys at a gas station last year a beat up pick up pulled up at the opposite pump. I over hear the driver and passenger of the pick up say something about foreign crap bikes. As I'm getting ready to leave the driver, wearing a HD t-shirt, approaches to ask me what kind of bike it is. I tell him it's the new Harley Astro glide and hit the starter button without waiting for a reply. I know not all Harley affectionatos have drunk the HD kool-aid, but the ones that have just make me want to do this
Priceless! The guy probably doesn't even own a bike.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode