right leg hotter? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

right leg hotter?

Is it just me? Lately it seems there is an excessive amount of heat emanating from the right side of the bike. Feel it on my inside of my right knee and a bit above. Mostly when riding at freeway speeds and after about 15-20 minutes. Its gotten so bad that I can't hug the tank like I prefer (no jokes please).

I've had other bikes where you get hot spots from the exhaust. Doesn't apply to the Versys. Anybody have any thoughts on why or where the excess heat is coming from??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM

Why does it not apply to the V? The muffler is on the right side, so the exhaust is more on the right side, isn't it? It may not be that close to you, but all that exhaust heat would rise and soak through the right side, no?

Bikes: 2008 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - RIP 1999 Suzuki Katana
Cars: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2007 Subaru Forester XTs
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM

3000 miles on mine including a 760 mile weekend and I've not noticed anything similar...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Garage
Are you wearing shorts?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Exhaust pipe routing swings toward the right of the bike. My right leg gets pretty toasty in slow summertime traffic.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 PM

I echo the exhaust sentiments, but only at slow speeds.

How about your leg positioning while riding? Is your right leg tucked in closer to the bike while covering the brake lever? Or is your left foot back further on the peg while riding at constant speeds because there's no need to shift? Lots of possibilities here.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM

I have always noticed heat on the right side, especially when it is really hot and I'm only puttzing along below 20 mph or so. Always been like this, and I always wear long jeans with boots.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM
MTS

I believe what you are feeling is feed through from the radiator. When it really heats up. See if you can put some plastic or something to redirect or block the air flow blowing on your leg. Thats all this is. Follow the air flow.
Don't block the radiator! Plug the hole its hitting your leg on the side of the bike!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I believe what you are feeling is feed through from the radiator. When it really heats up.
This seems the most logical... as any exhaust is whisked rearward and away unless sitting still.
If you have a throttle lock, you should be able to reach down with an ungloved hand and kind of feel where you think the heat is coming from during different situations.
Although I haven't noticed a similar situation on mine, I will pay more attention now and see if I can duplicate what you're seeing/feeling...
(Also... Panama City has no freeways and is 50 miles away from the nearest Interstate (a fact that is worth its weight in gold) so most of my day-to-day stuff is a lot slower that what you're doing when it seems to be at its worst.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
I always wear long jeans with boots.
Same here... which may explain why I've not noticed it.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys

Last edited by genehil; 04-20-2012 at 06:10 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 AM

It is usually warmer when riding in slow traffic, but if you do feel abnormally hot on the right side, something's up. How's the coolant level?

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 AM

The easiest fix is to ride with your right leg on the windward side. Of course the downside is that you could end up going places you didn't want to go to - but your leg would be cooler!

Also, it's all relative. You should try riding my wife's Suzuki S40 air cooled thumper. It will literally roast your right leg. Hence, the right leg to windward riding style.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM

May I suggest this as a solution as well:
No Video

(mute it to avoid the crappy music)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbryan View Post
May I suggest this as a solution as well:
+1

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Most definitely the right side is hotter. Don't know why. Only solution I've found is to ride in Arizona in the summer when it is 115 degrees. You'll be so miserable all over that you won't even particularly notice the right leg.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Since I took an advanced rider course several years ago, I ride with the balls of my feet on the footpegs, not my instep. Haven't noticed this heat problem.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Sum up some replies:

Not the exhaust. The way it's routed and the speed I'm going precludes that as the cuplrit.

Thought of the heat exchange thru the radiator as well, but doesn't seem to make sense. I've had bikes where the fan was on one side or the other, but on the V it's centered. I'd expect the blast to be equal.

I always ride ATGATT. That means pants or shorts with mesh kevlar riding pants and jacket, gloves, helmet & boots.

There's no difference in how I position my left & right leg. Both are the same distance from the tank/engine. Hugging my left leg right up against the tank causes no discomfort/hot spot. It's only on the right side.

And if you would read my entire post, you would know that I'm traveling at freeway speeds so all your comments/replies about how it feels going slow are pointless.

I don't have a thottle lock.

Thanks for the tip about possibly putting something there to block the heat, but I'd rather fix the issue than put a band-aid on it.

Yeah - when it's 110-120, doesn't matter if its hot in any one spot, you are roasting all over

Think I'll try a static test this weekend (it's supposed to near 100 by Sunday). Run the bike with an industrial fan blowing and see if I can trace the heat back.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM

I have noticed the same thing: hot right upper leg at freeway speeds. I believe that it IS the exhaust. My hypothesis is that when my right leg is tucked in, it induces an eddy that catches the exhaust. Sticking my knee out an inch or two spoils the eddy, and it's gone.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Well the bike get a little warm on the right side...nothing bad at all.

Ride a Buell XB for a few hours on a hot day. It's like sitting on a lit stove. Everything I tried was a wash as far as cooling went. Closest I got was a Right side cooling scoop along with the left side one. PLUS heat shielding under the sit, think space blanket type, along with rerouting the hot air off the rear cylinder out the shock opening and not the sides of the bike.

It was so bad at times I ended up traiding it in on my V. The V seems almost like it has A/C after the Buell!

BTW some of the Big Twin H-D had the same problem. One cause was running the motor so lean to get around the EPA's rule for a Cat.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM

There is much heated air blowing through radiator which can be felt, and there's more heat radiated onto right leg from the engine's cylinder block and head which is offset and closer to the right. There's also radiated and rising heat from muffler/catalytic converter unit down on the right.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
Sum up some replies:

Not the exhaust. The way it's routed and the speed I'm going precludes that as the cuplrit.

Thought of the heat exchange thru the radiator as well, but doesn't seem to make sense. I've had bikes where the fan was on one side or the other, but on the V it's centered. I'd expect the blast to be equal.

I always ride ATGATT. That means pants or shorts with mesh kevlar riding pants and jacket, gloves, helmet & boots.

There's no difference in how I position my left & right leg. Both are the same distance from the tank/engine. Hugging my left leg right up against the tank causes no discomfort/hot spot. It's only on the right side.

And if you would read my entire post, you would know that I'm traveling at freeway speeds so all your comments/replies about how it feels going slow are pointless.

I don't have a thottle lock.

Thanks for the tip about possibly putting something there to block the heat, but I'd rather fix the issue than put a band-aid on it.

Yeah - when it's 110-120, doesn't matter if its hot in any one spot, you are roasting all over

Think I'll try a static test this weekend (it's supposed to near 100 by Sunday). Run the bike with an industrial fan blowing and see if I can trace the heat back.
Agree, I have felt the right side heat as well, for sure it's not the exhaust. The cyl head heat or radiator heat is getting deverted to the right side only for some reason.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode