I'm not proud of this! :-( - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
MTS

I'm not proud of this! :-(

I'm not proud of this, but have any of you had one of these monents? I was almost home. 7 blocks. Slowed down at a stop sign then hit it. Next car was a cop!
He went past the intersection pulled over and got ready to do a u-turn. So out of no where I just hit it...... oh ****! What am I doing? I took a fast right and hit the alley.
Went down three alleys then looked back no one so I keep going! Never saw the cop again. Straight home in the back alley way.
Let me say this I will always come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I'm too old to be out running the cops! Ha! Ha! And I did not have a fire arm on me this time.
This is a reminder for all of us to think before trying to out run the cops! Next time maybe not so lucky!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM

it happens...but how is a firearm relevant? You'd have gotten a tix just the same, armed or not if you got nabbed.

Good job, that's a rare feat.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM

I think this could have ended up as felony evading occurence...really dumb
I once blew over a rise at a somewhat elevated rate only to find a trooper on the other side of the hill; I think I was stopped before he got his lights on. He appreciated that I didn't make him chase me & cut me some slack on the ticket instead of haulling me in.

When I was teaching my sister to drive the question of rolling stops, California stops, & boulevard stops came up....my response was $75.00 ticket to all three. It took it 2 years before she found out I was right.

Now when that cop his whacking you with his asp do you want him to stop or slow down?

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM

I always stop at a stop sign so I won't get t-boned, not because I might get a ticket if I didn't.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

-Homer Simpson

Current Bike:
2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
it happens...but how is a firearm relevant? You'd have gotten a tix just the same, armed or not if you got nabbed.

Good point and I'm not sure a fire arm would have mattered one bit. I have never had a moving violation ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I think this could have ended up as felony evading occurence...really dumb
I once blew over a rise at a somewhat elevated rate only to find a trooper on the other side of the hill; I think I was stopped before he got his lights on. He appreciated that I didn't make him chase me & cut me some slack on the ticket instead of haulling me in.

When I was teaching my sister to drive the question of rolling stops, California stops, & boulevard stops came up....my response was $75.00 ticket to all three. It took it 2 years before she found out I was right.

Now when that cop his whacking you with his asp do you want him to stop or slow down?
Good point, absolutely stupid! I do not want a repeat of this ever again!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I bet police get a bit edgey when you pack a shoulder holster and open your jacket to get your wallet.

"Why do I ride?"

post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I bet police get a bit edgey when you pack a shoulder holster and open your jacket to get your wallet.

You're technically supposed to alert them and if you had one in that fashion it would be best to tell them ahead of time to move the process along painlesslyl.

Where you live I'm quite certain you're viewed as a criminal, if not worse, if you open carry (if even allowed) and somehow a shoulder rig is more evil than a regular belt holster.

The west (NOT Kalifornia) my friend, is a very VERY different world than the east coast and several other states. Hell here you don't even need a permit to conceal carry.

I have a couple cop buddies and they say they pretty much expect everybody to have one on them, and the majority do.

Different worlds.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Where I'm at we are denied & the cops are trained to treat us at though we are armed & crooks first, citizens 2nd
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Might want to change up your riding jacket, switch up the luggage, and drive like an old lady for awhile.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Might want to change up your riding jacket, switch up the luggage, and drive like an old lady for awhile.
considering that our bikes don't exactly blend in with the pack
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You're technically supposed to alert them and if you had one in that fashion it would be best to tell them ahead of time to move the process along painlesslyl.

Where you live I'm quite certain you're viewed as a criminal, if not worse, if you open carry (if even allowed) and somehow a shoulder rig is more evil than a regular belt holster.

The west (NOT Kalifornia) my friend, is a very VERY different world than the east coast and several other states. Hell here you don't even need a permit to conceal carry.

I have a couple cop buddies and they say they pretty much expect everybody to have one on them, and the majority do.

Different worlds.
Maryland has some pretty stupid carry laws and most people (like 95%) can't carry at all.

I prefer open carry states. At least you know people are packing.

"Why do I ride?"

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM

I ran from a cop once when I was in my 30s and driving a new Saab home after dark. I hadn't been drinking, current license and registration, etc., but something flipped like a switch in my lizard brain. Thus began a long chase on dark country roads and I finally lost him so I slowed down, and tried to get my heart rate down to a dull roar. After about 5 minutes I began to focus on where I was when some headlights came on behind me, then the flashing lights, and I pulled to the side of the road. The cop came up to the car, got my paperwork, said he'd been chasing a brown Saab for miles, (mine was black), and accused me of resisting arrest. I denied it, offered an alternative version, in which there must have been a black Saab and a brown Saab out on this stretch of country roads this evening, and fabricated an alternate route I had been traveling that didn't include the road he's first spied the speeding "brown" Saab. God bless him, he was an honest cop, and as he'd lost eye contact with me for a significant period of time, said he would not give me a ticket even though he was sure I was the Saab he'd been following.

That was over 20 years ago, and I don't know why I rabbited like that, and don't think I ever would repeat the performance. It took about 3-4 beers when I got home just to calm my nerves. So I think I understand how you feel MTS. The only good part of the experience is that you've got a story to tell, and you and I got away unlike a buddy of mine who made a similar escape when he was 16 years old in a new, red, 56 Corvette. His problem was that there were only 2 red Corvettes in his rural county, and the other one belonged to a middle-aged man. Needless to say, that when he got home, there was a member of the local constabulary waiting there for him.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM
JRE

I did similar in my car (BMW 335xi) a few months ago. Coming back from lunch with 2 co-workers, I was driving uphill on a two lane road around a long sweeping curve. Got behind some trucks so I stomped on it to go around them. As soon as I got out in the lane (hitting about 15mph over the 45 limit) I saw the cop that was coming the opposite direction, already very close to my position so I passed by in a matter of seconds. I checked my rearview and sure enough I saw his lights come on along with his brakes.

I don't know why, but I didn't let up and even gave it a bit more as the turn to where I work (a private drive) was just ahead and I had already lost sight of him around the corner. I turned onto the private drive and hightailed it up to the buildings (I work for a large corp that has a campus like location with 4 buildings). I parked and we jumped out the car and into the building. I watched for a bit but never saw him come through. I'm guessing because of traffic, he couldn't turn around immediately and he must have guessed I continued up the hill and around the corner and lost me.

My heart was in my throat and I kept thinking to myself how stupid it was. There's no rational reason why I did that. I can certainly afford the ticket and have no warrants or other issues that would have gotten me in hot water. Like others have said, it was like an instinctual thing and I just reacted. I still feel bad about it and didn't drive on that side of the campus for weeks.

Thanks for sharing guys, it makes me feel just a bit better that I'm not the only scofflaw here

Joe

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sometime in February I was heading up through Usery Pass (in greater Phoenix) to meet a friend for a ride around the Four Peaks area. I tended riding towards "fast", the speed limit was 40 mph, and I could see a large SUV a ways behind, but couldn't see any lights. I was probably doing 65, but a car ahead was 'blocking' me, so as soon as the center line went broken so I could pass, I signaled, rolled on some throttle and passed at 75 (in AZ more than 20 over can be a felony arrest... ), pulled back in and stayed at 75. Watched the SUV pass him, and the lights came on. Aw sh*t!

I signaled and pulled off onto the shoulder, stopped the motor. Deputy came up and asked for my papers, and I asked if I could remove my helmet and get off the bike, to which he said "Yes." I figure he noticed my grey hair (what LITTLE there is...!), and the fact that I was ATGATT, and OLD (!!!), as I gave him my license, registration and insurance card!

"You were going pretty fast," he said, "I clocked you at 75." All I could do was admit it, mentioning that I was hurrying to meet a fellow about 10 miles up the road, and figured I was running late, and "Sorry to put you (the deputy) through this." There was another officer with him in the truck while he "ran" my papers, and I probably looked a bit worried....

He came out, said "Sir, I want to thank you for pulling over right away. Here are your papers - keep the speed DOWN, OK?", and got back into his SUV and drove away. NO ticket. I stood there for a few minutes, thanking God, re-dressed, then continued on to meet my buddy, now at the speed limit.

Since that time I've made a major change in that I try to be much closer to riding at the speed limit now.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Similar thing happened in my car a couple weeks ago. Road was clear on my side, I slowed for a red that turned green, then gunned it up to 60 (speed limit was 40). I was fixated on a Corvette in the opposite lane and didn't notice that the car behind him was a cop until it was too late. He did a u-turn and gave me a ticket. Luckily it was Cook County so I can take on-line traffic school while watching TV and have it removed from my record.

Bikes: 2008 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - RIP 1999 Suzuki Katana
Cars: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2007 Subaru Forester XTs
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM

In Florida, if you run and they get a digital pic of your license (dash cam) they can go to your house the next day and take your bike. That's it-no fine, no gettin' it back, you're just ass out. As far as a firearm is concerned, I wouldn't say a thing until I was asked to do something. Then I would say, "Officer, out of concern for your safety I would like to inform you that I am legally carrying a concealed firearm." Then let them instruct from there.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Ok, as long as we're telling stories...

I was 17 and in my first motor vehicle which was a '73 Toyota Hilux pickup. It had the ability to do donuts in reverse on dry pavement. I just happened to have a young lady in the passenger seat one night and found a vacant parking lot to do a couple of donuts in. The benefit was that there was a good chance that she would land in my lap during the stunt, which is exactly what happened which was great for me at that age, hee hee, and after the couple of rounds in the lot, I pulled out to go elsewhere. Going down the street, here came a cop the opposite direction. As we passed each other, he didn't look at all happy in my direction. Sure enough, he whipped it around. I floored it (this was a 4 cyl keep in mind) and took off. He had the lights on at this point and I was major wired from adrenaline. I weaved in and out of residential streets and happened to pass a friends house. I actually parked in his driveway at the spur of the moment and the girl and I ran to hide in his backyard. The cop very soon came by with the search lights on and eventually left. I was young and stupid and really thought I had evaded him and didn't even think of the fact he got my plate number and then of course knew where I lived. Talk about dumb.

There was also the time I popped a wheelie at a stop light and a cop saw it. I punched it ('78 KZ400) and proceeded to do the weave in and out on residential streets. I looked behind me after a while and he wasn't there. Cool I thought, I ditched another one. I came out of the neighborhood and there he was waiting for me. He knew exactly where I'd come out. I pulled it over 'cause I knew I'd be in even bigger trouble if I ran at that point and over the loudspeaker he said to get off the bike and remove the helmet. I did. He then proceeded to read me the riot act and called a towtruck. The worse feeling up to that point in my life was watching that towtruck cradle my baby up and drive off to go to the impound yard. I was then told to walk home, several miles, to cool down and think about it. That ticket cost me big and I learned a big lesson. Since finally growing up, I shudder at all the stunts I pulled at an earlier age, and just how lucky I am I didn't wind up killing myself which unfortunately happens all too often from just plain old stupidity. I now have 2 kids, one a teen, and I'm beginning to feel that sick feeling again...

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
JRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by miblue View Post
I just happened to have a young lady in the passenger seat one night and found a vacant parking lot to do a couple of donuts in.
Is that what they are calling it these days?

Joe

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Where I'm at we are denied & the cops are trained to treat us at though we are armed & crooks first, citizens 2nd
Sorry to hear that but you gotta remember we deal with people that want to kill us and hurt us just because of our job. After the officer realizes you aren't Tony Montana he should relax. 2011 had more officers killed on duty than any year in the last twenty.
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanburnham View Post
Sorry to hear that but you gotta remember we deal with people that want to kill us and hurt us just because of our job. After the officer realizes you aren't Tony Montana he should relax. 2011 had more officers killed on duty than any year in the last twenty.
A good number of my friends wear blue and a lot of the older hands are not happy with the attitudes of the new breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode